Touchscreen.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SomethingStupid

Touchscreen.

Post by SomethingStupid »

Hi, I'm about to get a touchscreen laptop. I'm not a big fan of windows 8 so I want to install linux mint cinnamon on it. I'm just wondering whether I can operate mint with touch, whether the os supports touchscreen. Thanks. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frsu

Re: Touchscreen.

Post by frsu »

I am interested as well. Just bought an Asus Vivobook 11"
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

SomethingStupid wrote:Hi, I'm about to get a touchscreen laptop. I'm not a big fan of windows 8 so I want to install linux mint cinnamon on it. I'm just wondering whether I can operate mint with touch, whether the os supports touchscreen.
It works for some people but not for others.

http://ubuntuforums.org/tags.php?tag=touchscreen
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... en#p695825
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... en#p677711
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jmorris84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jmorris84 »

Any progress updates with using a touch screen laptop, while running Linux Mint or any other distro for that matter?
ubergeek77

Post by ubergeek77 »

Hmmm... It looks like touchscreen support on Linux as whole is sporadic at best, and it doesn't look like it's something that's been officially addressed. I'm also very much interested in touchscreen support, as I plan on installing Mint 16 when it comes out at the end of the month. I don't, however, have time to spend trying to fix the touchscreen if the drivers don't work properly, as this is a laptop I use for college; I need it to work out of the box. I'm running a Lenovo Yoga 11, if it's relevant.

I'm actually surprised that Mint hasn't implemented these drivers in the newer releases, as it would appear people need to install additional drivers in order to gain this functionality on Mint. Many people turn to Linux to replace Windows, and I'd like more than anything to replace Windows with Mint. However, without proper touchscreen support (especially seeing as it's nearly 2014), there really isn't any competition.

I really hope there have been improvements to this.
yagolf

Post by yagolf »

kudos to ubergeek77. I bought myself a really nice touchscreen laptop (Acer Aspire V7 581PG) a week or so ago, and the one thing I noticed is that the vast majority of laptops in display had touchscreen... Nonetheless, here I am, knee-deep in the tedious task of trying to find out how to make it work on Maya... I'm about to check out the links catweazel provided but if any one has any particular advice for this machine, I'll happily take it.
roiikkata

Post by roiikkata »

from what ive read on peoples responses and what i know so far they must be working on it and that it is not officially supported, yet ..

Return to “Beginner Questions”