touch to click.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stunade

touch to click.

Post by stunade »

Does anyone know how to disable "touch-to-click" for the trackpad of a netbook when using linux?.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
denzil

Re: touch to click.

Post by denzil »

Click Menu, then Control Centre, then Mouse, then the Touchpad tab, then untick "Enable mouse clicks with touchpad". Should be easy :)
stunade

Post by stunade »

Denzil,
tnx for the reply; let me make sure we are on the same page:
the notebook has a built in trackpad to serve as a mouse; there are two buttons one on the left side of the trackpad, and one on the right.
The "feature" called "touch to click" or "tap to click" means you don"t have to actually push the button till you hear aclick, but merely have to *touch* the
buttons for the click to occur. Unfortunatley, the button sensors are always much too sensitive, so that they click when you don't even touch them sometimes.
All tracpads are this wat; in windows 7, you can disable this with the mouse settings if you have a higher version of w7; unfortunately, the cheapo starter
edition does not show this option, reporting "generic ps2 mouse"; that's windows. In linux mint 13, the control center/mouse deal doesn't even have a tab for
the trackpad/touch to click.
denzil

Post by denzil »

Sorry, perhaps I have never come across th etype of touchpad you are referring to. All the touchpads I have ever used have two 'hard' buttons underneath for left and right mouse click. You can also tap anywhere in the pad itself to do a left click. I assumed this is what you meant. If what you have is different then I can't help. Sorry.
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

Most touchpads have buttons to click with. Your laptop sounds like it has touch panels instead. Being able to turn the feature off in Windows must be because the manufacturer has installed an altered control panel, made by them (and not Microsoft) specifically for your hardware.
As Mint simply comes with generic software that is supposed to work with as many types of hardware as possible, and that feature is too specific, it doesn't have a way to turn it off.

What you should do first is search the manufacturer's website for a Linux version of their drivers, which may include that feature. Unfortunately it's very unlikely they've made any, but if it exists it's your best chance.
Otherwise, search the Internet for anything someone else has made. Search for something like "Linux <your model number here> touchpad" without the quotes and you may get lucky. Since manufacturers rarely support Linux, the community might have made something.
Otherwise, I can't think of any other possibilities.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Perhaps a solution can be found using xinput. Could you type this in the Terminal: xinput
Get the id number of the trackpad. Then run the command below, replacing the X with the id #:
xinput get-button-map X

Post the output and also post the output of the xinput command.

Return to “Hardware Support”