Linux Mint Cinnamon and Gigabyte Maya Radeon 9000 pro

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
uleih

Linux Mint Cinnamon and Gigabyte Maya Radeon 9000 pro

Post by uleih »

Hello,

I have problem when I install Linux Mint Cinnamon edition. I can see menubar/startbar or how ever it's called, but when I click on menu I can't see noting or when I right click on desktop.

If I have to guess problem is with graphics card driver? I have no experience with Linux and don't know how download new drivers or install them, can anyone help?

NB! I have only 3G USB internet (with broadband limit) and can install any drivers from USB stick .

Computer stats:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ 2.00 GHz (I'm bit confused does my support 64bit too?)
1GB RAM
Gigabyte Maya Radeon 9000 pro 64mb videocard
Actually my PC is not bad at all. I have windows XP pro right now and it runs Photoshop CS5 quit well. Only graphic cards sucks.

(And sorry for my bad English :) )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon and Gigabyte Maya Radeon 9000 pro

Post by MrBob22 »

I am sure I do not quite understand your problem. Are you saying you installed Linux Mint Cinnamon (15?) and when you try to access the Menu, it fails?

Your computer is a bit "older" IMHO, and maybe it does not have the right specs to run the latest Linux Mint.
Here is what is needed (pasted from the release page)
MDM issues
PAE required for 32-bit ISOs
Mint4win
GnomePPP and local repository

Make sure to read the “Release Notes” to be aware of important info or known issues related to this release.

System requirements:

x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
5 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
CD/DVD drive or USB port
So my question is did you try to install 64 bit or 32-bit version? If 32-bit, does the Athlon 64 have PAE? I am thinking that it does not support PAE, but maybe you could install the 64-bit version.
MrBob22
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

If I have to guess problem is with graphics card driver? I have no experience with Linux and don't know how download new drivers or install them, can anyone help?
Unfortunately, no. AMD dropped Linux graphics driver support for your card YEARS ago. If it works with the default driver, then you're OK. If it does not, then you're out of luck -- as your card is then too old to work with the default Radeon drivers. And, being that old, there are no drivers you can download to correct that.
uleih

Post by uleih »

MrBob22 wrote:I am sure I do not quite understand your problem. Are you saying you installed Linux Mint Cinnamon (15?) and when you try to access the Menu, it fails?

Your computer is a bit "older" IMHO, and maybe it does not have the right specs to run the latest Linux Mint.
Here is what is needed (pasted from the release page)
MDM issues
PAE required for 32-bit ISOs
Mint4win
GnomePPP and local repository

Make sure to read the “Release Notes” to be aware of important info or known issues related to this release.

System requirements:

x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
5 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
CD/DVD drive or USB port
So my question is did you try to install 64 bit or 32-bit version? If 32-bit, does the Athlon 64 have PAE? I am thinking that it does not support PAE, but maybe you could install the 64-bit version.
MrBob22
First thing what I tried was 32bit Cinnamon edition version 13 and today tested Linux Mint 15 MATE 64bit version. In MATE version it loaded menu and other things and showed in display settings monitor name correctly!
Only in Cinnamon version I can't see menu or windows when I open them (in cinnamon when I clicked log out icon then it show only black shadow and everything else was transparent so I couldn't logout, same thing when opened other things/windows).

64bit MATE version was really laggy when I used download center (can't remember name where you download skype, wine etc.).
After installing MATE strange thing happened, I tried too reboot windows and it keeps restarting after XP loading screen and sometimes my computer made beep sound and told me something what I can't make out what it was.

I used Mint4win with MATE edition and looked Cinnamon demo using DVD.

Same thing was when I tried reboot to Safe Mode. After hours of tries I get in and uninstalled linux mint 64bit version. I download Liveboot 2012 and messed up windows with that (I was so tired and didn't read when I recover register, it fixed restarting problem but I can't move files only copy them... don't worry about windows xp.. i fix it myself if it's need..).

Yes, 32bit MATE version don't load using DVD. When restart computer and press f8 and select DVDrom it's says something like that "insert media device and press any key.." only when I inserted Linux Mint 13 DVD Cinnamon it start installing (demo thing).)

Hmm, If I somehow can install Linux Mint 15 MATE 32bit using Mint2win and after that delete windows folder what will happen? I think safer way is download Linux mint 13 MATE 32bit, clean install not using mint2win and try update?

Yes, my computer is old (9-10y) but still serves me well! Only thing what sucks is graphic card. I have laptop too but still use old pc for web design.

That you guys for replays..
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MrBob22 »

i love Linux Mint, but maybe a lighter version of Linux would suit your hardware better. I used Puppy for fun, installed Lubuntu for awhile on an older computer and used a stripped down Ubuntu also on an anemic machine. I think you might be better served with a lighter version of Linux than Mint with the hardware you have. I used XFCE too, and it is aimed a low resource PCs. Take care, MrBob22
ps
using my basement computer with a Amd 8350 CPU, a cheap SSD 60gb etc. And really not expensive but runs well...
Computer
Processor 8x AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
Memory 3789MB (637MB used)
Operating System Linux Mint 15 Olivia
User Name bob (bob)
Date/Time Sat 09 Nov 2013 11:13:42 PM EST
Display
Resolution 1600x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MrBob22 wrote:i love Linux Mint, but maybe a lighter version of Linux would suit your hardware better.
The poster has a driver issue, not a distro issue.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Agree with other posters. Cinnamon version not suitable for your computer, but Xfce version should be okay. Probably best to go with version Mint Xfce 13 vs. 15 in my opinion, but that's up to you.

You will likely have flash video problems with your machine after the installation as well. I have a similar older computer to yours that I use mainly for testing and Xfce works fine on it, but flash videos were a problem. (Mine has 2GB ram and different old video card, so can't be 100% sure everything will be fine on yours. Give Xfce a try and see.) What eventually solved the flash problem is posted here if you end up needing it: [url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=149361[/url]

Edit: Sorry, above link is wrong one. Use this: [url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=148882#p779756[/url]

Return to “Beginner Questions”