updating slowly

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
inflatablemouse

updating slowly

Post by inflatablemouse »

Under Sources I've selected a mirror, linux-mint.froonix.org which was selected as being the fastest.

Under other software there are still these sources:
debian.linuxmint.com/latest
debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security
debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia

When I run the updater, it runs at 100kB/s and says its taking 2 1/2 hours.

When I open the details, I can see its slowing down on all the debian.linuxmint.com sources, but when I replace them with linux-mint.froonix.org/etc I get error messages.

Can I replace those URL's with another source?

Tx!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inflatablemouse

Re: updating slowly

Nevermind.

Found a screenshot with some french servers. Tried those and the update was done in less than 10 minutes.

Update did fail and dropped me to the console unable to boot into the GUI and I used apt-get to continue updating which worked.

Only took all night, but I'm up and running again :P.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Wait... do you mean you've never heard of [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=112047]mint-debian-mirrors[/url]?
inflatablemouse

I found that thread when I searched. It's from 2012. By the looks of it this was already implemented and outdated info for the current releases, as the options for finding the fastest source is present in the updater. If you read the more recent posts in that thread you'll see that people still have trouble with certain sources.

Either way, it does not change the URL's on the "Other" tab, these were still pointing to debian.linuxmint.com, at the time an extremely slow source.
Last edited by inflatablemouse on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

inflatablemouse wrote:I found that thread when I searched. It's from 2008.
First post:
by clem on 08 Sep 2012, 19:33
:D
inflatablemouse

Corrected, I saw 08 (the day) as short for 2008.

Still, it's already present in the current distro's is it not? And I'm correct that the URL's on the Other tab aren't updated with my choice for a mirror.

Regardless, its all fixed now :mrgreen:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

inflatablemouse wrote:Still, it's already present in the current distro's is it not? And I'm correct that the URL's on the Other tab aren't updated with my choice for a mirror.
So, you still don't want to read the first post in that thread (don't worry, it's not too long)? :D
inflatablemouse

Hehe funny man :mrgreen: .

Of course I read it but now that I tried it I see I did make an incorrect assumption. I thought this package was the same as what 'select best server' does in the Update Manager.

So when I tried this command I was surprised to see it updates the "Other" tab :D .

Thanks dude!

Return to “LMDE Archive”