Linux Mint Debian Edition User Guide

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
craigevil

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition User Guide

Post by craigevil »

Just a quick glance at the EN version noticed a few errors.

First on the Internet page Xchat is spelled wrong.

Second you shouldn't be using a repo for Ubuntu on LMDE/Debian instead add the debian-multimedia.org repo to install Adobe Reader.

$ apt-cache policy acroread
acroread:
Installed: 9.4.7-0.1
Candidate: 9.4.7-0.1
Version table:
*** 9.4.7-0.1 0
500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ unstable/non-free i386 Packages

Is mozilla-mplayer in the Mint/LMDE repo? Because it is not in the Debian Testing or sid repos, it was replaced by gecko-mediaplayer. You should only install one media player plugin, i.e. kaffeine/vlc/gecko/totem/xine.

Is mozilla-helix-player in the LMDE repos? It has not been in the debian-multimedia repo for quite sometime. It hasn't been updated in a couple of years and RealPlayer changed the licensing so it couldn't be distributed like Oracle's Java.

Giver is ancient, the last update was sometime in 2007.

The description for xchat is also spelled incorrectly > XCaht IRC.

Nice guide from what I have seen so far.

Under Alternative Software>Instant Messengers, I would add kmess, and empathy, and perhaps Jitsi although it is not in the repos.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks for pointing those out, Craig. I'm working on getting my laptop's LCD replaced and as soon as I do I'll be able to upload the changes I've already made, plus these that have been discovered. Unfortunately the LCD replacement was expected a couple of weeks ago so I'm at the mercy of a friend of mine who is also having a lot of crap to deal with, including knee surgery today.

I haven't forgotten about working on the English version of the manual, I've simply not been able to put the time I thought I was goinfg to be able to. Deep apologies to any and all who are waiting for me.
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

Removed
Last edited by maxibuntu on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Update: Rather than replacing the LCD I was able to simply swap out for a new laptop (Thank you über Linux friend for the replacement!) and I ended up doing a fresh install instead of updating my old setup. I think I finally have the settings where I want them so I'm planning on getting back to the manual soon. My only problem is that I rely heavily on the translation plasmoid and I don't always have the 'net connection that needs so I'll have to go back and double check some of my wording. I'll see if I can get what I've already done sent up so it can get updated on the server. Sorry about the delays, y'all. I know how needed the guide is and I feel bad about not getting more done sooner. I need to get a status on my upgrade to my hoursinaday app. There's got to be a way to increase the value there. 8)
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

By following your advice, I have just created an off-line version of your manual. Congratulations for your excellent work! I am just wondering if there are any recent changes that haven't been covered there. I have recently passed through the upgrade, I have UP 5.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

An update for UP5 is probably a pretty good idea. What do you think, borgio? (I need to get my translation changes sent to you soon. How would you like them sent again?)
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

Great site. Will check it out more thoroughly, but appears a lot of work has been done on it, and I really appreciate it.
nascar64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nascar64 »

Wow what a great site, use it already for my ATI card installation and it work ,this site just should be a ''Howtos'' in the first page of LMDE section ,what you guy are saying Administrator, i posted some thing just so it be in TOP spot so every one can see it.Ray
germanix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by germanix »

Gongratulations, borgio3, a suberb guide that will come in very handy. I myself am new to LMDE having recently installed it on my 10 year old Sony Viao (the cinnamon edition) and it runs great. I was looking for a guide for future reference should something go wrong and I stumbled on your guide. Great work, I thank you for your trouble in preparing this, and for making it available for all to use. Have a nice day.
a man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.
Alley Oop

Post by Alley Oop »

The link is dead.
filozofio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by filozofio »

The link seems not to be loading...
titianmom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by titianmom »

Kelley_Green wrote:
mockturtl wrote:The link works for me too. Try "incognito mode" in your browser to get a clean cache, maybe, and be sure you aren't blocking outbound traffic to 178.63.8.150.

See michelsberg's post: wget will tell you about the failure.
No go. Neither incognito mode nor wget works. Is the website still active?

I also can't load the page. Says it isn't found, with the following error(s):

Firefox can't find the server at livelinux.altervista.org.

This website does not offer ownership information.

Technical Details:
Connection not encrypted

The link livelinx.altervista.org does not support encryption for the page you are viewing. Information sent over the Internet without encryption can be seen by other people while in transit.

Hope this helps. Not a Firefox guru, so any suggestions welcome.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Old link is gone.

borgio3 has his new link
http://linuxguide.altervista.org/Distro ... -LMDE.html
titianmom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by titianmom »

Thanks for letting me know, Wayne128, and thanks to Borgio3 for making it. Kim