How do I get out of "safe" mode?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How do I get out of "safe" mode?

Postby Diwedd on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:36 pm

Hello,

I have never used Linux until a few days ago. It was gong fairly well, until I tried to uninstall a programme that wasn't working properly. I must have made a realy big error, because my notebook reverted to what can be described as "safe" mode. I have been unable to get back to my profile, even though I am the administrator. I'm have this vague mmory that therse was an error message with the word "gnome" in it.

I am unable to view programmes in my start-up and there are many desktop settings that I am unable to change. This is because I'm not in my profile. How do I get back to it?

If it is of any use, I had the 32 bit edition featuring the Xfce desktop installed. Should I reformat or re-install? And what is involved if I reinstall Linux Mint i.e. is it relatively easy for someone with no knowledlge of Linux?

Many thanks
Diwedd
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do I get out of "safe" mode?

Postby Diwedd on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Problem solved with the help of a friend.
Diwedd
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How do I get out of "safe" mode?

Postby eanfrid on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Nice. Otherwise, it would have been like planning to replace your car when you get a flat tire :)
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit - MATE 1.8.1
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions