How to show mounted volumes on desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
XUTOS-83

How to show mounted volumes on desktop

Post by XUTOS-83 »

Hi, i'm running mint 15 XFCE 4.10 and i'm getting crazy trying to get my internal partition showed in desktop, i can see when i have unmounted ones or removable devices, but not my mounted internal HDD/Partition.
Thanks,
Vasco
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gold_finger

Re: How to show mounted volumes on desktop

Post by gold_finger »

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but:

Applications Menu > Settings > Desktop

Click the "Icons" tab and under "Default Icons" pick the ones you want to show on the desktop. The one for "Filesystem" is your / (root) filesystem/partition (if set-up that way when you installed system); the one for "Home" is your home partition (if set-up that way).

If that's not what you meant, can you be more specific? I use Mint Xfce as my main system, but have multiple other partitions on two hard drives, some with other distros and their respective partitions. After following above instructions, you will see the category "Removable Devices" with a box that can be checked also. (On mine I have it unchecked because I don't want to see all those icons on my desktop.) From what you described above, it sounds like this box is already checked. If it's not, then check that one too and see if that is what you are looking for.

Other than that, I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
XUTOS-83

Post by XUTOS-83 »

The problem is that xfce version don´t have an option to show regular disks, i can see my USB disks, Memory cards, etc

xfce menu:
[img]http://s12.postimg.org/8j6t4hljh/Screenshot_20_10_2013_02_04_22.png[/img]

for ex in cinnamon is so simple:
[img]http://s18.postimg.org/q98ohncc9/desktop_settings_cinnamon.jpg[/img]

thanks anyway, right now i remove linux so isn't a problem anymore :lol:
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Sorry to here you removed Linux.

Don't know why yours is different than mine. When I check the box for "Removeable Devices" it DOES show other drives and partitions on the desktop -- whether they are mounted or not. I am using Mint 14 Xfce on this laptop and one desktop. Attached below is a screenshot of laptop desktop showing Ubuntu partitions that are not mounted, but exist on the hard drive. My desktop has two drives and multiple partitions for OS's and they too show up on desktop when checking that box. Maybe it's a change in Mint 15 -- I don't know. I doubt that's the case, but have no other idea why yours doesn't work right.

If you want to give it another shot sometime, try using Mint 14 Xfce instead and see if that solves the problem.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

In Xfce if the partitions designated /anything (as oposed as only in fstab list) become part of the file system. You can make a link in Thunar (file manager) and put on desktop. The home (if seperate partition or not) can be shown on desktop using that tab. Other distro/partitions will show as long as not automounted into the file system (such as a /media or/windows on seperate partition.

J.Jay
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

jjaythomas wrote:In Xfce if the partitions designated /anything (as oposed as only in fstab list) become part of the file system. You can make a link in Thunar (file manager) and put on desktop. The home (if seperate partition or not) can be shown on desktop using that tab. Other distro/partitions will show as long as not automounted into the file system (such as a /media or/windows on seperate partition.

J.Jay
Thanks J.Jay,
I did not know you could do that. Hope OP sees your response.

Return to “Xfce”