24hr time?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
cryogenic88

24hr time?

Post by cryogenic88 »

Currently the only way to set the clock to 24hr time is in calendar settings!

Similarly it also requires knowledge of the date syntax, new users arent going to know this.

Funnily enough the date and time settings (which oddly only has a single option - a network time switch) uses 24hr time itself.

Why not have a option that toggles it, like every other recent distro ever.

:S

Apparently other users are defaulting to 24hr, and some to 12hr. So presumably its locale based. I should point out that time is often a personal preference rather than a nationwide choice. Similarly in many nations both styles have equivalent popularity.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: 24hr time?

Post by xenopeek »

This is missing context. Which Linux Mint version are you talking about? Which desktop environment?
cryogenic88

Post by cryogenic88 »

xenopeek wrote:This is missing context. Which Linux Mint version are you talking about? Which desktop environment?
Sorry LM16RC Cinnamon Edition

Funnily enough, every other instance of a time being used on my system is consistently 24hr time (such as last modified dates, etc.)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Please post feedback to the RC on the blog post: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2477. If there rest of system uses 24 hour time, so should the clock. That has always been the default on Cinnamon; 24 hour clock.

Also note the forum rules here (look up to the pink bar at the top of this page), no Cinnamon suggestions here! Take those to GitHub in the future. But in this case, I think it's an issue you should report on the blog.

To switch to 24 hour clock, right-click the clock applet and select "Configure". Click to use a custom date format and set the date format to "%H:%M". Or if you want to include the day, month, and date like on previous Linux Mint Cinnamon releases, set the date format to "%a %b %e, %H:%M".
cryogenic88

Post by cryogenic88 »

xenopeek wrote:Please post feedback to the RC on the blog post: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2477. If there rest of system uses 24 hour time, so should the clock. That has always been the default on Cinnamon; 24 hour clock.

Also note the forum rules here (look up to the pink bar at the top of this page), no Cinnamon suggestions here! Take those to GitHub in the future. But in this case, I think it's an issue you should report on the blog.

To switch to 24 hour clock, right-click the clock applet and select "Configure". Click to use a custom date format and set the date format to "%H:%M". Or if you want to include the day, month, and date like on previous Linux Mint Cinnamon releases, set the date format to "%a %b %e, %H:%M".
Yep, i know how to do it myself. But Joe Average isnt going to have a clue where to find it, or how to use time syntax :)

Just so you know, submitting a new issue on GitHub currently 404s aswell
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Do it as a comment on the blog post! Duh, this is the RC so share feedback on it where the developers are asking you to so they can take it up for the final release. The issue being all time being 24 hour, except for the clock.

Issues logged to the RC will be closed on GitHub.
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

I get where you are coming from OP, however, MOST LIKELY, the average joe is going to want to have 12 hr format, while the veteran is going to want the 24 hr format.

FOR THE MOST PART, the veteran is going to know how to fix it anyways.

As an intermediate user, I don't mind having to fix it, I'll spend a minute of my time fixing it, while I'll be happy making the average joe happy and giving them less of a complaint about linux.

So just let it go, people that like the 12 hr format are most likely beginners, I keep saying most likely because I know there will be exeptions.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

ericramos1990 wrote:MOST LIKELY, the average joe is going to want to have 12 hr format, while the veteran is going to want the 24 hr format.
This comes up repeatedly here but this is patently untrue. 24 hour time is the most commonly used time notation worldwide, only a few countries use 12 hour time notation. Some countries use 12 hour time notation and 24 hour time notation interchangeably, mostly English speaking countries that are former colonies of the UK (USA, India, Australia, etc.). The rest of the world uses 24 hour time notation. I'm happy to be called an expert instead of a noob based on the country I live in, but I think that's a bit unfair :wink:
cryogenic88

Post by cryogenic88 »

ericramos1990 wrote:I get where you are coming from OP, however, MOST LIKELY, the average joe is going to want to have 12 hr format, while the veteran is going to want the 24 hr format.

FOR THE MOST PART, the veteran is going to know how to fix it anyways.

As an intermediate user, I don't mind having to fix it, I'll spend a minute of my time fixing it, while I'll be happy making the average joe happy and giving them less of a complaint about linux.

So just let it go, people that like the 12 hr format are most likely beginners, I keep saying most likely because I know there will be exeptions.
Err, time preference has nothing do with Linux skill! It depends on where you live and personal preference, though the latter is much more important in this case when compared other things like dates, and swapping periods/commas between large numbers and fractions, which are generally nationwide choices. Time display is not. Both time formats are available here, and as far as Im concerned - the loss of a simple option to switch is a regression - having to learn time syntax to fix their clock is going to look bad for beginners, and its just going to annoy veterans like me who are used to having every DE theyve used for the last 10 years or more have a simple toggle.
xenopeek wrote:This comes up repeatedly here but this is patently untrue. 24 hour time is the most commonly used time notation worldwide, only a few countries use 12 hour time notation. Some countries use 12 hour time notation and 24 hour time notation interchangeably, mostly English speaking countries that are former colonies of the UK (USA, India, Australia, etc.). The rest of the world uses 24 hour time notation. I'm happy to be called an expert instead of a noob based on the country I live in, but I think that's a bit unfair :wink:
Indeed, and as stated before, its actually a poor implementation because the rest of the system is still running in 24hr time (file properties for example, hell even where you set the time!).

I dont like my PC telling me whats best, and giving me a poor way to fix it because some people decided removing standard functionality was somehow a good idea!? This is Linux, where is the choice?! Heh, even Windows allows the choice instead of locking it out and instead calling it a feature.

Who decided 12hr was most popular in Australia (in my case)? Last I checked both were used.
For example Sydney's train timetables are published in 24hr time, while Melbourne's train timetables use 12hr time.

Heh, I remember most VCRs (yeah those old things) even usually had an easy way of switching between time modes (generally via their OSD).
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

LOL just get over it guys :D

Doesn't the new cinnamon make up for it? :wink:
cryogenic88

Post by cryogenic88 »

ericramos1990 wrote:LOL just get over it guys :D

Doesn't the new cinnamon make up for it? :wink:
Yes, this problem on its own isnt a massive deal, its still annoying though. (Why deliberately make Cinnamon lack a simple toggle every other DE [incl. Mac/Win] has?)

And if this ends up as indicative of future coding decisions in regards to Cinnamon, I wont be using it - Ill jump to a different DE or a different distro altogether. If you want an DE that knows best (and how well we could expect it to go), see "Microsoft Bob" :/
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

You shouldn't let such a small thing make you change an entire distro....

I'm happy with the customization it gives me, I use:

%A, %b %d - %H:%M:%S

Which looks like

Sunday, Nov 17 - 16:38:35

I am allowed being able to tweak it any way as I please, adding hyphens, dashes, any text I want, and even the seconds. I honestly don't remember being able to do that when I had Windows.

IDK man, this is seriously not a big deal whatsoever.
cryogenic88

Post by cryogenic88 »

ericramos1990 wrote:You shouldn't let such a small thing make you change an entire distro....
Im not, as I said, if it becomes indicative of future decisions I will though.
ericramos1990 wrote:'m happy with the customization it gives me, I use:

%A, %b %d - %H:%M:%S

Which looks like

Sunday, Nov 17 - 16:38:35

I am allowed being able to tweak it any way as I please, adding hyphens, dashes, any text I want, and even the seconds. I honestly don't remember being able to do that when I had Windows.
Yes Ive been using Linux for 10+ years, and infact Im using plain old "%H:%M" on the PC with LM16 RC, but surely you are aware that other DEs allow time syntax to be used such as the above, and a 24hr toggle?

Noone said Windows used time syntax, if we are going to resort to strawman arguments just because you dont personally think its a big deal, please move on. You arent going to see me in any thread you make claiming "Its not a big deal" (every user has differing opinions on what is important/good), so dont waste your time and mine here. Its not like I didnt get the implicit and then very explicit hints of apathy in your posts so far either. :wink:
ericramos1990 wrote:IDK man, this is seriously not a big deal whatsoever.
For you, for me its a standard option available in all OS/DEs and removed for no good reason. The thing can still "autodetect" an option based on locale while still having an additional toggle, they arent mutually exclusive.
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

Looks like you've spent more time complaining than actually changing the clock :)
cryogenic88

Post by cryogenic88 »

ericramos1990 wrote:Looks like you've spent more time complaining than actually changing the clock :)
The clock was changed before the thread was even started, but hey, lets not let that get in the way of a good story :wink:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

ericramos1990, back off a bit as you are making this personal without reason.
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

Ok sorry cryogenic88
akellberg

Post by akellberg »

Mint 17 has the option to Use 24h Clock in the Date & Time settings.

Open the Menu -> Preferences -> Date & Time.
Should see an option under Date Format for 'Use 24h clock'.

I would have to agree this is a very reasonable option to have to avoid requiring users to find a date format string.
Catchpole
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Catchpole »

A little off topic but:

Much more of a problem is the differnce between the US and UK date system.
I often get caught out when its in number format.
e.g. 8/12/14 is the 8th of December in the UK and the 12th of August in the US.

Nothing to do with Linux of course but I make sure my date system has letters for the month.
I wish all date systems did this to avoid confusion on the internet.

Will it ever change????
Desktop Computer:
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-H61M-USB3V
CPU = Intel i3-3240 3.4GHz
Monitor = BENQ BL2411PT rev 00-012-AL
Mint 21.3 Virginia "Mate desktop" (64bit)
Memory = 12GB
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

Catchpole, how would you like your format exactly?

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”