Dual Screen Resolution doing my head in!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Dual Screen Resolution doing my head in!

Postby mkn777er on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Hello
I have recently installed Mint 15 32 bit which is running happily alongside my old and clunky XP. I really, really like it but before I make that final decision to get rid of Windows there is just one thing I would like to sort out, and that is the resolution of my screens.

I have 2 x Acer 17 inch screens which I have always used and really like the flexibility of two screens. The graphics card is an nVidea GeForce 9800 GT. When I first booted Linux only one screen was working with a resolution of 1280 x 1084 which is perfect for these screens. It would not allow me, or would not recognise the second screen in the 'Preferences, Display'. In order to get the second screen to work I had to select the nVidea-310 (recommended) in the Driver Manager, do a re-boot and hey presto, the second screen was live. BUT, the resolution is now a maximum of 1360 x 768 (on both) which is not so good (too bid with fuzzy text). In the 'Display' it lists two screens as 'unknown' and yet before I loaded the nVidea with only one screen working it listed it as an 'Acer' screen.

Any ideas how I can get both screens to run at a resolution of 1280 x 1064?

Many thanks
mkn777er
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Screen Resolution doing my head in!

Postby passerby on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Now that you're running from the proprietary nvidia driver, don't use the Displays tool.
Instead, look for "Nvidia X Server Settings" in the menu, or open a terminal and run "nvidia-settings".
When you're in there, go to the second option "X Server Display Configuration" and exit your monitors there.

*In order to save the new resolutions on reboot, you may need to start the program as root.
ie.
-run "sudo nvidia-settings" from the terminal
-enter your password when prompted
-change your resolution
-click "Save to X Configuration File"
-in the pop-up window, click "Save"
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 13.10 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mkn777er on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:41 am

Hi passerby

Many thanks for the reply. I have done as you suggested and gone into the nvidia settings and changed the screen resolution from there. Interestingly, it gives the max available resolution in 4:3 mode as 1152 x 864 and the max in widescreen as 1360 x 768. As my screens are standard 4:3 I have gone for the former which works fine but is a tad dissapointing because the best resolution is undoubtedly 1280 x 1084, and that resolution has been used by me for a good number of years with clunky old xp.

Nvidia do have an updated driver (Linux) on their website (v322) which may resolve this, but the next 'learning task' for me is to work out how to get the driver installed!

Cheers
mkn777er
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RageRiot on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:17 am

not exactly an answer for you but might be of help,

your monitors are going to be LCD unless I'm mistaken so they need to be ran at their native resolution, to avoid the fuzzyness. on my setup I'm using a ATI gfx card with a 1080p(16:9) primary monitor and a 1280p(4:3) for the right hand extended desktop.

I'm still very new to linux but what i've realised is my setup uses a virtual desktop size of 3200 x 1080 which is my primary and second monitors horizontal resolution added togeather to make one big display. this approach has it's problems like fullscreen apps spanning the desktops but I've now solved that issue.

with my gfx card the control panel (amdcccle) doesnt do a very good job of saving settings or even appying them and I have had the best results configuring my xorg.conf my self (/etc/X11/xorg.conf )
Below is my config which defines the displays and the virtual dekstop size. so the problem you are having might be solved by hand crafting your config.
make sure both of your monitors are defined in your config with the correct res and it should work for you. if your looking for a setup that allows you to remove a dsiplay there is a methd to run that config on demand.

Code: Select all
Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "amdcccle Layout"
   Screen      0  "amdcccle-Screen[1]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load  "GLcore"
   Load  "glx"
   Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option       "Xinerama" "off"