Saucy Salamander is a fiasco: The worst Ubuntu release ever

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Saucy Salamander is a fiasco: The worst Ubuntu release e

Post by MALsPa »

craig10x, it amazes me, too. Sometimes I don't know which amazes me more: the people who spend so much time criticizing Ubuntu even though they don't even use it, or the people who use spend so much time criticizing Ubuntu while they use the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint!

In any case, nobody's forcing anyone to use Unity or Ubuntu or even Linux. That fact doesn't mean that Ubuntu won't continue to be the distro that Linux folks love to hate, I guess. But it looks like quite a few of us quietly continue to enjoy using Ubuntu, which is surprising considering how AWFUL Ubuntu and Canonical and Shuttlewoth are! But what do we know? :lol:

I'm glad to know that 13.10 is looking good at your end. As I've said before, I'm still using 12.04; your comments about Saucy let me know that I'll probably be just as happy when I switch over to 14.04 next year.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

@malspa: yeah...what do we know :wink:
13.04 was excellent....13.10 is like an extension of it but even slightly nicer yet and 14.04 should be awesome :D

Actually, i was going to go on an LTS to LTS cycle myself (beginning with 14.04) however, based on my excellent experiences with the live iso installer's option to Upgrade, i decided to basically "roll" (as it were...lol) into each new final version as they are released...
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Have to agree with Brahim in the original post. Installed Saucy 64 bit today, and after a fantastic experience with 13.04 Raring, this is a massive let down. I always seem to be disappointed with Autumn releases. Freezes, hangs, complete loss of the snappiness that was present in 13.04. This was a fresh install too, not an upgrade. Very sad about it.

On the plus side, it means as soon as Mint 16 is out I'll be installing that. Well, that was gonna happen anyway. :D I've no doubt the Ubuntu base is still solid, and it's the Unity/Compiz layer causing these issues, so Mint Cinnamon should be fine - *fingers crossed*. But yeah I'm sad because I'm not someone who typically hates Unity at all. Here's hoping their LTS is much better, but what with the Mir/Wayland fiasco it might get worse.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Sorry to hear your experience with 13.10 has not been as good as mine has, Condorman...i read that QT is going to replace compiz in unity 8...but not sure if that will be in 14.04 or 14.10...i don't think i will miss compiz...it probably does cause problems for unity...
Also glad to hear you aren't a unity hater... :wink: I am very fond of it...but then i always liked docks (after having experience with macs)...
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

I installed the new Ubuntu release a few weeks ago to a test partition. I had a few configuration problems most of which had a work around or the problems were fixes via an update. I am down to one final bug which I suspect is a DE problem as opposed to a Ubuntu base system problem. Enjoy
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Remember when I said "Does that mean we will inherit this mess on Linux Mint 16 Petra!!!!!!" The answer is unfortunately "yes"; we have some of that mess. but hey Linux Mint 16 is still an RC :D Mint team will iron them out. We all know they will :D :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Brahim wrote:Remember when I said "Does that mean we will inherit this mess on Linux Mint 16 Petra!!!!!!" The answer is unfortunately "yes"; we have some of that mess. but hey Linux Mint 16 is still an RC :D Mint team will iron them out. We all know they will :D :D
Sorry you're having problems on your system. Mint 16 Cinnamon RC is running perfectly for me. No bugs/glitches to report here.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Yes it the best OS i've ever seen! but there are some rough edge on it they have to iron! I've reported the bugs here [url]http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2477&cpage=5#comment-101501[/url] :D :D :D
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Ubuntu 13.10 running solid for me both when in testing and since the final release with no problems at all...probably the bugs you are experiencing are mostly mint related which will probably get straightened out when Clem releases the final version...
MStrBLster

Post by MStrBLster »

I'm having the Amazon instant video-flash updating problem that doesn't resolve with hal-info replacing hal;...

Mint 16 is not set to the HAL repository by default yet, most likely because it hasn't been fully tested yet.
This may help.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mjblenner/ppa-hal
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install hal

http://linuxg.net/how-to-enable-the-playback-of-flash-content-protected-by-drm/
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I dont like Ubuntu too but Im not hating it. Without it the Linux world today would be different. Thanks to Ubuntu the attention to Linux is rising. And Ubuntu is not that bad if you pick the right version. :wink: At least we should have little respect. Also remember that our favorite Mint is a derivate of it.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Bolle1961 wrote:If it's a real disaster I don't know, I only have it for 1 day on my Asus EeePC900 :D
What I didn't like as that after installation I got the teletubby desktop, just like the Xandros desktop back in 2008 :( :(
No chance to choose the normal desktop at installation or at login .....

Debian, openSUSE, Linux Mint, SolydK installs the normal desktop on the same netbook ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: Told you that this Ubuntu is a mutant one :lol: :lol: :lol: Next time maybe you'll get a Windows xp after installation :lol: :lol: :lol:
colyn

Post by colyn »

Brahim wrote:I think Linux Mint team have to rebuild this Ubuntu release all over to get to the usual Mint stability :D I stillwonder what's the use on an OS that doesn't run any common software :lol: :lol:
I would have to disagree. I've been running 13.10 for severals days now without a single glitch including the programs listed here that don't play well. Googleearth and Chrome both are working fine.

I have always found (K)ubuntu to be rock solid stable once released as final..

Since I like KDE I use Kubuntu..
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have Ubuntu 13.10 running on two computers and it is the best Ubuntu release I have ever ran! I upgraded both computers from 13.04 using the Upgrade Manager, this was the first time I have ever used this method,normally I would have done a clean install. Both computers boot really fast and Unity has really gotten a lot of polish! One of the computers has a high end ATI graphics card that is usually problematic running any flavor of Linux. The open source ATI drivers are working fantastic this time around! My display is crisp and I am not seeing any of the little glitches that I would normally have to live with.

Unity is looking very nice these days and I could hardly believe how nice it's features are now. For example, when I went to YouTube I was offered to have a shortcut placed in the launcher, I thought to myself, wow, how convenient is that! The default lenses and scopes are really nice too. I also got a shortcut for Launchpad. These little things are nice touches for new users. The global menus are nice too, it gives the system a Mac OS sort of feel without the big price tag.

I like the Unity greeter too, it always matches the desktop and it has a nice clean look to it. Everything on both computers works great and neither computer has had a single problem running 13.10. In my opinion the Ubuntu developers are more focused on quality for the upcoming LTS and are spending their time refining Unity. Things will change after the LTS is released to focus on Unity 8 but that is to be expected and that is what the interim releases are for.

Both computers I installed 13.10 on have always had annoying issues with any distro I have installed on them but 13.10 is running perfectly on both of them. Plymouth is even displaying perfectly without me having to spend any time messing with it. Boot time is extremely quick on both computers and they are both very responsive. I did find one very minor bug where the system had a restart entry in the menu that was identical to the shut down entry. The bug was not hurting anything and was very easily remedied with a couple of clicks of my mouse.

I like the originality that Unity offers the same as I like the originality of Cinnamon, both are great and offer a new twist on things. I have read the plans for Ubuntu 14.04 and I like the fact that the developers are focusing on refinements and stability rather than cutting edge things. The refinements coming are looking very good, things like improvements to the dialogs in the greeter, a new icon set, a torrent scope, cleaning up the code in the HUD and so on, these are all nice refinements to an interface that already is looking very good.

I have been interested in Ubuntu ever since they started doing their own real development just like Clem has done with Cinnamon. People can criticize Unity all they want but I think it is a big step in the right direction for Ubuntu and it is great seeing them focusing on quality for the next LTS release. Now with Steam and better games available things are looking better than ever for people that are considering switching to Linux. Graphics drivers are finally getting better, especially the open source drivers!

My wife Amanda and her father are currently running Ubuntu on their computers and both of them seem very happy with Unity. I never thought I would see the day that my wife would be happy running Linux! Amanda's dad gave Ubuntu a try after having his Windows system infected with viruses so many times, he told me that he was sticking with Linux because he has not had any problems for a long time. In the past when I installed Linux for people they expected it to be like a free version of Windows but people I have installed Ubuntu with Unity seem to realize that it is very different and that makes my life much easier! I installed Ubuntu on a laptop for a women that was used to how the Mac OS worked and she loved Unity and quickly adapted to using it. My daughter Ashley used my computer when I was in the hospital, she is used to the Mac OS and she thought Unity was awesome.

I think Saucy Salamander is a good release and I am happy with it's hardware support and stability.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It's really not worth getting emotional about these non-LTS releases from Ubuntu as they are mostly throw aways. If there are any bugs in them the probability of them getting fixed is pretty much zero so put them in a VBox guest so you can keep up with the direction they are going and hope for the best at LTS time.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Actually, i have been finding that the 6 month interval ubuntu releases have been quite good...i get the impression that the quality control has improved a lot for the interim releases and they have been quite solid (13.04 and 13.10 for examples)...And now that their UPGRADE system has also improved to the point where it is pretty reliable to use, i find it's a great way to "roll" into each new version as it is released... :)

Hardly a "throw away" anymore...my experience has been similar to exploder's as he outlined above...and i have a friend (who mostly uses windows himself) often puts ubuntu with unity on their computers (when they get fed up with windows...lol) and most of them love the desktop...
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

craig10x wrote:...And now that their UPGRADE system has also improved to the point where it is pretty reliable to use,
Really? I thought that was still being "officially" discouraged...
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

@martymint: in the past it was but i believe that is no longer the case...I have done 3 upgrades (and a friend of mine did one) using the Upgrade option on the iso installer and other then a few things that required putting back, everything else came through beautifully...my latest upgrade was converting 13.10 development to 13.10 final using the final iso (I did it to clear out accumulated stuff from development) my friend did it to go from 13.04 final to 13.10 final....had quite similiar results...and exploder (above) outlined his experience doing upgrades on several computers using the "update manager" method...

I have enough confidence in it at this point, to "roll" from each final version into the next (of course i have all my important data backed up on an external flash drive, just in case)...Although i think it works best if you haven't heavily "modified" your system which i do not do...

You can read about my experience with it here at this thread on the ubuntu forums:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2181643&highlight=wow+great+upgrade
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Anecdotal evidence aside, I meant an "official seal of approval" from the Mint team.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

mint has a lot of modifications to ubuntu so i doubt if Clem would ever officially promote it for mint use...but if one is using ubuntu (or one of the ubuntu deriviatives) then it is usually no problem these days...

Return to “Chat about Linux”