Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
blued
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Post by blued »

Hmm.. with mint 16 as guest in virtualbox, I cant access shared windows folders. It just hangs when I click on them. Never had this issue with mint 15, 14 and 13.
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

@Don_Pedro
Now I am wondering if I should not switch from Mate to Cinnamon
Same question here.
caiman

Post by caiman »

prohc wrote:There is an article out by a Ubuntu Developers, who say that Linux Mint Is a Vulnerable System. Is this true?
By the way the new release is great.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-Developers-Say-that-Linux-Mint-Is-a-Vulnerable-System-401007.shtml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
This seems like a potentially major thing, so I'm hoping somebody here can address it.
gryphon

Post by gryphon »

caiman wrote:This seems like a potentially major thing, so I'm hoping somebody here can address it.
See http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?88565-Canonical-Developer-Criticizes-Linux-Mint-s-Security&p=373306#post373306 and http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?88565-Canonical-Developer-Criticizes-Linux-Mint-s-Security&p=373307#post373307
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

It seems to be confusion over methods.

Here is Clem's response.

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/11/answering-controversy-stability-vs-security-is-something-you-configure/
drewdlekins

Post by drewdlekins »

Adelante wrote:It seems to be confusion over methods.

Here is Clem's response.

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/11/answering-controversy-stability-vs-security-is-something-you-configure/
Yep. Exactly this. Although I was less kind, and thus I think I had my post removed because I called the offending Ubuntu dev an idiot when I explained the confusion. I may not have been on my meds at the time. :wink: Sorry mods.
gman8321
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gman8321 »

Anyone having trouble with printing? I get a message "Waiting for printer to become available."

I have a Brother MFC5895-CW, using the Brother Drivers which are 32bit. I know that LinuxMint 16 RC is 64 bit, but the drivers installed without error.

Printing works from all the Ubuntu 12.04 computers and Windows 7 computers in my house. I really like the LinuxMint 16, it has brought new life in my old Dell D630. But not being able to print is a show stopper.
CogSci

Post by CogSci »

gman8321 wrote:Anyone having trouble with printing? I get a message "Waiting for printer to become available."

I have a Brother MFC5895-CW, using the Brother Drivers which are 32bit. I know that LinuxMint 16 RC is 64 bit, but the drivers installed without error.

Printing works from all the Ubuntu 12.04 computers and Windows 7 computers in my house. I really like the LinuxMint 16, it has brought new life in my old Dell D630. But not being able to print is a show stopper.
I had the same problem with my Brother HL-2270DW printer. I just deleted and re-installed the printer a few times. Problem solved.
johnwillyums

Post by johnwillyums »

Hi folks, can anyone tell me if this release will support a 2560x1440 screen resolution. The previous version I tried did not have that amongst it's options, can't remember which version I tried, but it would do higher resolutions (2560x1600), just not that one.
Thanks, John :)
diesel79

Post by diesel79 »

Right! Silly question here so don't shoot! lol. When does Linux Mint 16 go final? Thanks in advance. I've tested it in virtual box and it's very impressive, great job and thanks to the team.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Usually a couple of weeks from the RC release.
diesel79 wrote:Right! Silly question here so don't shoot! lol. When does Linux Mint 16 go final? Thanks in advance. I've tested it in virtual box and it's very impressive, great job and thanks to the team.
diesel79

Post by diesel79 »

Adelante wrote:Usually a couple of weeks from the RC release.
diesel79 wrote:Right! Silly question here so don't shoot! lol. When does Linux Mint 16 go final? Thanks in advance. I've tested it in virtual box and it's very impressive, great job and thanks to the team.
Thank you and thanks for the reply.
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

2nd & 3rd Day

Screen Saver does not kick in always, like it almost always does with VLC Player .
  1. Video Signal Corruption
    • FireFox with 2 or 3 JS pop-up windows, teminal, Gedit (All unmaximised) Uptime 20', last 10' idle. Video signal lost and REISUB did not help. Had to hit restart button
    • FireFox full screen maximised. Screen saver again not activated, video signal lost, REISUB no good. Restart button. Instead of splash screen, got screen pattern => video memory overwrite. Had to do cold start.
    • FF Restart led to video memory overwrite & system crash
  2. Libre Writer
    Twice in succession did not open Print dialog and brought down system
    1. Lost X, with system crash following in console
    2. Overwrote video memory and system crash
    However Firefox and Gedit both open the Print dialog, and I was able to print to a ps file ok.
It seems that as long as screen saver kicks in, system doesn't crash. Just the once with Firefox fullscreen has screen saver appeared, but it almost always appears with VLC player, the one exception being VLC in full screen and idle over a 45' period, but system did not crash. Screen saver activation appears to be a hit and miss affair,

Today no system crash. Seems like I've got the measure of Petra RC, and I'm not sandboxing either :)
Firefox restarted 2 or 3 times without incident, but all the same have to take precautions before a Firefox restart.
MysticGold04

Post by MysticGold04 »

Anyone having trouble with the updates today? When I try to refresh the updates, it seems that Mint cannot contact some repositories...

Output is below: W: Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/petra/InRelease

W: Failed to fetch http://extra.linuxmint.com/dists/petra/InRelease

W: Failed to fetch http://extra.linuxmint.com/dists/petra/Release.gpg Unable to connect to extra.linuxmint.com:http:

W: Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/petra/Release.gpg Unable to connect to packages.linuxmint.com:http:

W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
spamazoid

Post by spamazoid »

just now me, hoping that means the final is about to launch and the repo's are being mirrored as we speak
~FLOW~
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ~FLOW~ »

omg...in Cinnamon u still can't change the first day o the week ?!?!?!!?
cooooooomooooooon
Why is it so hard to change first day into Monday
in Mate you can :(((
~FLOW~
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ~FLOW~ »

Cinnamon is much much faster !!
Now I can come back to my first love :)
Linux Mint 21.1
Cinnamon

Be patient !!
What seams easy for you now, for a newbie might be a monumental helping hand.
An efficient pack will move as fast as the slowest member.
Acanthus

Post by Acanthus »

Since I have just installed a new HD, thought I'd go straight to Petra. Base install completed in personal record time of seven minutes, and this on my second and slower PC. Rest of setting-up was rapid and completely painless. Not a single glitch so far, and everything seems to work faster and better! One small but much-appreciated improvement: editing the panel - in particular moving applets around - now works exactly as it was intended to, first time, with no fuss. (Previously, I had to fiddle around a bit.)

I am euphoric! Fulsome, warmest tanks and congratulations.

Acanthus
gman8321
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gman8321 »

CogSci wrote:
gman8321 wrote:Anyone having trouble with printing? I get a message "Waiting for printer to become available."

I had the same problem with my Brother HL-2270DW printer. I just deleted and re-installed the printer a few times. Problem solved.
So you got the printing to work in the 64 bit Mint 16 RC, which is where I'm having trouble? I have no problem setting up printing in the 32 bit Mint 16 RC.
CogSci

Post by CogSci »

gman8321 wrote:
CogSci wrote:

So you got the printing to work in the 64 bit Mint 16 RC, which is where I'm having trouble? I have no problem setting up printing in the 32 bit Mint 16 RC.
Yes, I'm on 64 bit Mint 16 RC Cinnamon. Printing works now, sometimes even with VPN running, but mostly I have to turn it off. Sometimes I had this printing problem in Kubuntu. My solution there was to turn networking off and on again. After that printing would start. Hope this helps!
BTW, did you try different drivers? The recommended one didn't work for me, the next one in line was perfect.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”