Mint needs to allow root access from GUI interface

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsatenstein

Mint needs to allow root access from GUI interface

Post by lsatenstein »

Someone, without thinking things through, decided that root access should only be available via command line or from a regular user account and perrmissions in sudo.
Wake up people, Other distributions recognized that moving and managing files via a GUI interface is safer than using the command line.
the rm -rf * .doc (a simple slip of a keystroke, will delete all files in the directory, not the intention to delete the doc files.

The other distributions recognize that with sudo, the normal user gets command line access as root.
then, passwd root allows one to create a root password and dispense with sudo.

Please, to make Mint15 usable for system management. allow root to be a gui logon. I now have to edit the files in /etc/pam.d to see if in fact I can enable root logon in the gui interface.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
uzername

Re: Mint needs to allow root access from GUI interface

Post by uzername »

Lol, wut :lol:
js3915

Post by js3915 »

Not sure i follow... You really shouldnt have much need to need root access especially if you setup your system correctly at the start and espeically not give something like this to regular users big security flaw why windows has alot of security holes... But understand the need to maybe edit some config files and you dont want to go into terminal not sure why you would want to move files but again guess if you need too :mrgreen: ...

However... it is possible to do this in mint... Least you can with mint 15 cinnamon im guessing mate you could too.. Anyways right click on a file or folder in the window that pop up gives you a whole selection of things... Somewhere it says Open as root this will make a sudo session in your file manager allow you to edit copy paste move etc files in your file manager.. Least it does with nemo and as long as you dont close nemo out should stay in sudo mode. though definitely something i wouldnt allow normal users to do. Allowing it would be a big security risk IMO or begs the question why not allow it in terminal too? Again that would be big security risk

Guess i dont know if i read your question right its late for me reading this but again it is possible to enable root in your file manager without having to edit any files
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

simple, you can elevate the privilages (temporarly) of the file browser access when logged in using your normal user account.
Cinnamon:

Code: Select all

gksudo nemo ~
KDE:

kdesudo dolphin ~
Gnome:

gksudo nautilus ~

In your example

rm *.doc
would still be risky, cause aparently you are logged in using a root account. Didn't we say not to do that?

sudo rm *.doc
would ask you for your password, or atleast not delete file which wern't susposed to be deleted.

Yes, there still is a risk
(notice the space between "*" and ".doc"

sudo rm * .doc
would delete all files and the file invidable file named ".doc", but that is about the same dangerous as a cat sitting on the delete key of your keyboard after you left your coputer logged in as root. In the end, use privilage escilation, because in many years and years, I have never had a reason to set a root password. Also you comptuer does not permit SSH and remote logins for users without passwords, Since the root account has no password set (by default), than no root logins are accepted. If someone already knows your login, they are steps toward gaining access.
Newmintuser65804
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newmintuser65804 »

I have found it it has been there we just never look for it click the menu then type log in ince pop up click the security tab read all of it you will see the administrator login option.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

js3915 wrote:Not sure i follow... You really shouldnt have much need to need root access especially if you setup your system correctly at the start and espeically not give something like this to regular users big security flaw why windows has alot of security holes... But understand the need to maybe edit some config files and you dont want to go into terminal not sure why you would want to move files but again guess if you need too :mrgreen: ...

However... it is possible to do this in mint... Least you can with mint 15 cinnamon im guessing mate you could too.. Anyways right click on a file or folder in the window that pop up gives you a whole selection of things... Somewhere it says Open as root this will make a sudo session in your file manager allow you to edit copy paste move etc files in your file manager.. Least it does with nemo and as long as you dont close nemo out should stay in sudo mode. though definitely something i wouldnt allow normal users to do. Allowing it would be a big security risk IMO or begs the question why not allow it in terminal too? Again that would be big security risk

Guess i dont know if i read your question right its late for me reading this but again it is possible to enable root in your file manager without having to edit any files
I need root access every day. Not a day goes by I'm not moving, copying, or editing. One nice little solution I found was Guake. Once installed and added to "Startup Applications," anytime you press F12, you get a transparent terminal. The transparency is nice, because one can read from another source while typing. But this is a workaround. What I usually do is modify the file manager so that "Edit as Root" and "Open as Root" are options. I haven't yet figured out how to modify Thunar in this way, but I'm going to research that today for my Xubuntu rig, which doesn't have any root options in the file manager. Some developers have a rosy view of their users as just sitting around using applications all day, but the reality for me is quite different, lots of moving around and changing things all of the time. It is hard to imagine looking at a text file or document in the file manager and not being able to edit it, only read it. It's a pretty severe limitation to the file manager.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

I was not saying that I don't need root access; I am saying that I use appropriate privilege escalation (sudo / gksudo) when I do. Having no root account has many advantages. With the main disadvantage being that no one is root anymore. Thus we have the concept of a 'sudoers' file. In it is contained, user names of users which have access to temporarily have root access, and act with permission (pertaining only to the task assigned). Consider me pedantic, but in a conversation like this, being root is a different thing than having root access.

Let me demonstrate privilege escalation with a contrived example of a command combination which requires root access for 'fdisk' from which the text buffer is stream processed by 'egrep' to filter the text. If the following was executed as root....

root@mint$ fdisk -l | egrep "^/dev/"
to get a listing concise listing of all your available harddrives seen my fdisk.
if the following was executed as a user with sudo privileges, the second command 'egrep' is executed under the user of ther user (not root).

user@mint$ sudo fdisk -l | egrep "^/dev/"
Both have identical output to the screen. But the difference lies in whether the command 'egrep' is executed as root, and whether it should be running as root.

Now lets considerer taking this further and say that X11 should not be running as root, just like egrep should not be running as root. If you were to enable root account in GNOME/KDE then, effectively, you are giving control over all the things GNOME/KDE call and execute during launch. This is dangerous, just like executing egrep as root is dangerous.

The solution is to use a user which has sudo privileges. Thus even though you trust yourself to use the computer, you don't even need to trust that the computer is performing the correct operations, because it does not have access be destructive.
Last edited by grimdestripador on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

[url=http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-baby-duck-syndrome.htm]Baby duck syndrome[/url]?
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

I've had deep thoughts for those who want to use a root acount. Counter to my above post, if there existed some opposite program to sudo, 'lesser user do', perhaps called 'ludo' than in the next code example, root would execuit fdisk, and a system reserved account could be used for stream processing. In effect the following command could be considered correct since each program is execuited with the correct user permissions.

root@mint$ fdisk -l | ludo egrep "^/dev/" 
The above is just psudo code, the actual implimentation seems strange, but is fully functional if an account named 'user' exists.

root@mint$ fdisk -l | sudo -u user egrep "^/dev/"
Edit: So, I made it into a program, ludo compatable with stream processing. It does not work with tty.
if the file exists at: /usr/local/bin/ludo

#!/bin/sh
 echo $* | xargs sudo -u user
wagnered

Post by wagnered »

I believe I have a reason to log in via gui as root, otherwise, could somebody explain how I can test out the following bug I'm working on....

If I double-click on a .desktop icon in caja, it will open up and automatically connect to the default server.

If I select the app in MintMenu (Main Menu), it opens up, but does not automatically connect to the default server. I'm sure it's the same .desktop file.

Without actually doing a gui login as root, how can I select the app in the main menu as root?

If someone can tell me how to run a .desktop file from a cli, I surely will appreciate it: xdg-open does not do it anymore.

BUT, right now, I have to explore another problem. When I try to start the login window configure tool, it tells me that I am not using mdm, but I definitely am as I see the process(es) in the system monitor. I specifically installed Linux Mint 15-MATE.

I will do a search to see if anyone else had this problem and start a new topic if the search fails.

Regards,

Ernie D
Obrero

Post by Obrero »

I think the point they are making is that Ubuntu/Mint honestly believe that if they allow Root Account everyone will only log in as Root and do everything in Root. That is absurd! Anyone that stupid deserves what they get and it is not Ubuntu or Mint's fault! Rather than making life miserable and sending people to other more sensible distros simply add some Super User applications like Konquerer Super User Mode. Here is why, I buy a new drive, internal or external and create a partition in Gparted. This is Root. I then try to access the drive logged in as User and I can not do anything with the drive!!! It requires Root Access to copy files to it or do anything to a drive or partition created as Root! The only way around that is to create NTFS partitions which then work 100% for everyone. That is a big step backwards. In order to access and use the drive I have to have Root access to change the permissions for the drive. I've tried using sudo Dolphin etc. and gave up. It is just NOT worth the hassle!! And this is the reason why I will install Mint for others who just want basic computer use but don't use it myself. Not having Root Access when I need it makes no sense and just drives me nuts. Having to go to the command line to do anything and everything is so unnecessary!!! All Ubuntu and Mint really accomplish by not having any Root anything is cripple the distro. I have not had to do anything at the dos prompt since Windows 2000. I don't see creating partitions etc. at the command line any better, easier, or faster than with graphical Gparted. I can see exactly what I have. I don't see going to the command line to change permissions any better, faster, or easier than right clicking on the drive or folder in Konquerer Super User Mode while logged in as your basic user. I do NOT have to log in as Root to do this! The basic argument put forward by Ubuntu/Mint for not having any Root anything is just plain illogical. They have well and truly thrown the baby out with the bath water. If you are a Linux pro totally at ease at the command prompt great, but is that the target user of Mint? When there are much easier and for most people better ways of doing things available why does Mint insist on forcing newbie Mint users to either go to the command line or go to a more sensible distro that has Root account even though with applications like Konquerer Super User Mode, they NEVER need to "log in" as Root? All that is required is the Root password to use that one Root application. They have that one Root application open for two minutes and close it. They never logged out of their user account and never logged in as Root. To me, Ubuntu/Mint using the same regular user password for Root as well is the bigger security risk! Root and user having the same password? That to me is incomprehensible!
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

What you have now is an opportunity to learn about file ownership and permissions. Look on the bright side!

Most Windows users login as an administrator, many without passwords. People are not taught the purpose of jumping through hoops when doing thing that can break the system. Who will teach them? Mint seems to be meant for the masses, who would likely behave in a similar fashion when using Mint.

Even for experienced users, day to day use doesn't require root login. It's when you mix up root, superuser, and user that things get messed up and time consuming.
koolaid_kid

Post by koolaid_kid »

Sheer insanity, stupidity, and paronoid thoughts. I hate it and will probably leave this stupidity behind.
Hugh_HH

Post by Hugh_HH »

I have read this all. I think, open source and linux is for choice. I must say it, since I came to Linux ten years ago, I hate it when experienced linuxers come with that attitude and try to patronize them who asked, "you don't need it", instead of giving help. The people who ask for advice don't need a second father, I'm sure they have one.

In Linux Mint the way to get root account is in menue ->control centre->system->mdm->options->root (it's a little bit different, I use the German version)
So one can log in as root or as user. It's the user's choice. Even when the wannabe Lords of linux will cringe now, it's the computer of the user. His/her property. Linux isn't a religion or a secret sect, it's just a tool to work with.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

Hugh_HH wrote:I have read this all. I think, open source and linux is for choice. I must say it, since I came to Linux ten years ago, I hate it when experienced linuxers come with that attitude and try to patronize them who asked, "you don't need it", instead of giving help. The people who ask for advice don't need a second father, I'm sure they have one.

In Linux Mint the way to get root account is in menue ->control centre->system->mdm->options->root (it's a little bit different, I use the German version)
So one can log in as root or as user. It's the user's choice. Even when the wannabe Lords of linux will cringe now, it's the computer of the user. His/her property. Linux isn't a religion or a secret sect, it's just a tool to work with.
Thank you. That option puzzles me because Mint MDM won't let you login as user "root". Or is that possible?
Hugh_HH

Post by Hugh_HH »

That option puzzles me because Mint MDM won't let you login as user "root". Or is that possible?

YES. But..... I have the German version, so you must take my technical terms with a grain of salt and maybe a little bit imagination.
Here you go
Menue->control centre->system->sign up (MDM)->options->make hook for administrator (root)->unhook automatic sign up last user
Then Themes-> Style-> GDM -> take one you like. Maybe one with userlist, but I don't know if that is important. I took one of them.
UPDATE on 04082014: only the hook for "administrator" and the unhook for "automatic sign up last user" is necessary.
Close the open windows and your user and log in new (or start the compu new). The screen asks for the user name. Fill in >root< and when it asks for the password fill in >your< normal password. No extra password for root.
But as all others told, you are the overlord there, you are root, you can do all, even destroy your system.
I put in a background pic which warns me not to do normal work there. "only for administration!" :mrgreen:
Administration.jpeg
Last edited by Hugh_HH on Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Hugh_HH wrote:Even when the wannabe Lords of linux will cringe now, it's the computer of the user.
WOW, fifth post and already calling users names, welcome to Linux Mint for however long you last. Enjoy
Hugh_HH

Post by Hugh_HH »

WOW, fifth post and already calling users names, welcome to Linux Mint for however long you last. Enjoy
Oh, I enjoy it, allright. If I can help, I do it. And I don't hide my opinion. This patronizing behaviour I have seen one time to much. All people wonder why Linux is not the most used desktop. The answer is in this thread.

But you should have read all of my post, not only the points you "like". Then you would know, that I "last" now ten years with Linux. And with Mint I "last" since Mint 4. So You must really not welcome me. How long do you last with Mint?

Read what Husse has written, "there is no dumb question, and also Linux Gurus have been newbies". While he was living no one here had the idea to use that attitude. When one asks for help here in the forum, he need help, not patronizing. Or do you wish that people leave Mint alone, because they can't get help here?

And here is #12 from the forum rules
We've All Been Green

We have all been a newbie to GNU/Linux. Some users are harder to help than others, but remain respectful.

Patronizing is -not- help and it is not respectful.
Last edited by Hugh_HH on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
rbmorse

Post by rbmorse »

Hugh_HH wrote:

And here is #12 from the forum rules
We've All Been Green

We have all been a newbie to GNU/Linux. Some users are harder to help than others, but remain respectful.

Patronizing is -not- help and it is not respectful.
Well said.

Return to “Other topics”