HTML5 desktop backgrounds?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
GavinNL

HTML5 desktop backgrounds?

Post by GavinNL »

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, I just registered an account to put my suggestion for a possible feature: HTML5 desktop backgrounds?

I'm not sure if that was suggested at all, I did a search on the forum and found a suggestion for HTML5 screen savers (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=146133&p=768431&hilit=HTML5#p768431), but not for desktop backgrounds. I think it would pretty awesome to have HTML5/javascript powered wallpaper, we could make some pretty cool system monitors with more effects/features than conky!

Cheers,
Gavin
samriggs

Re: HTML5 desktop backgrounds?

Post by samriggs »

Hello and welcome, I think it is backgrounds Clem is thinking about not just screensavers, but live wallpapers like phones at least I hope that is what he's thinking of adding later on.
GavinNL

Post by GavinNL »

Ohh awesome! Thanks. Now I can't wait!
BRKsays
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BRKsays »

I don't have much idea about the whole new HTML5 thing but I like the login. If HTML5 desktop backgrounds will enable us to use live wallpaper like android then I am all in! :)
Dell Inspiron N5050
Intel Core i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20 GHz
6GB DDR3 RAM with Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" Cinnamon 64-bit
Linux Kernel 3.19.0-32-generic
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

they won't be like android live wallpapers, not in a coding sense anyhow, I write live wallpapers for android and you have to use a lot of scaling for different sizes and orientation (portrait and landscape) which is why I stopped making them for now for android because it's a headache, the ones for html5 are much simpler to make and can use basic css animations or javascript or even some 3d stuff but it's much simpler to code, but will act like android's live wallpapers, a lot of the ones I made for mdm are ported ones I made for android, I just recoded them in html5 instead, which means anyone with any knowledge in html5 or basic web development can make them, you don't need to know a whole bunch of stuff to make one, I learned html5 as I ported over the first one in two hours, although I do have web development skills to some degree I haven't used it in years, so it's a bonus that it's in html5.
The only issue that might happen with that I can see is it might slow the system down depending on how many animations are happening at the same time or image sizes etc, we might have to optimize stuff more for them so they don't cause too much slow downs, like live wallpapers can cause on android.
I just can't remember if Clem said it was going to be screensavers or backgrounds (live wallpapers) or both, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens down the road, for now I think there more concerned about making the best desktop available and worry about more toys later on which is fine by me :D
Sam
gryphon

Post by gryphon »

HTML5 and javascript would be a lot more powerful and customizable than a simple conky script. BTW in the meantime if you really want animated wallpapers you can use Live Wallpaper (OpenGL): https://launchpad.net/livewallpaper video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmr57xfffQ

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”