Kernel Update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rotanibod
Level 1
Level 1

Kernel Update

Post by rotanibod »

couldn't find anything appropriate using the "search", so I decided to make a post:

I installed Linux Mint Maya 1 1/2 years ago and never messed with the update configuration. I am using Ubuntu in a VM and was wondering, why the Ubuntu Box is regularly doing Kernel Updates, when my Mint Box is not.
on the Mint Box 'uname -r' prints out: 3.2.0-23-generic
on the Ubuntu Box 'uname -r' is something like 3.2.0-5?-generic

is everything ok with my automatic update settings on my Mint Box?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Kernel Update

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rotanibod.

mintUpdate divides the available software updates in 5 security levels: [1], [2] ... [5]
Level [1] updates are considered absolutely unlikely to pose any risk to system stability.
Level [2] updates are considered almost as unlikely to pose any risk to system stability.
Level [4] and [5] updates are considered pretty likely to pose a risk to system stability.

Kernel updates are put in level [5].
By default only level [1] to [3] updates are visible inside mintUpdate and will be offered for installation by mintUpdate.
In order to see and receive kernel updates like on Ubuntu configure mintUpdate to display updates in levels [4] and [5], too, and to consider them safe for installation.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
rotanibod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rotanibod »

Hi Karl,

thank you for your reply! The only uncertainty left for me is: is it ok for me to consider lvl 4 and lvl 5 as safe and stable? I don't want to risk any system instabilities, because this is the laptop I use at work.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

rotanibod wrote:Hi Karl,

thank you for your reply! The only uncertainty left for me is: is it ok for me to consider lvl 4 and lvl 5 as safe and stable? I don't want to risk any system instabilities, because this is the laptop I use at work.
These days, most level 4 and 5 updates should work most of the time. Back in 2007, when this system was implemented, the level 4 and 5 updates (kernel and X) could really do damage to the system, but this rarely happens nowadays.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rotanibod.

Well, this depends. Personally, I have extremely rarely experienced any severe system problems, because I allow my Mint systems to install all updates as Ubuntu would do. I.e. All 5 security levels are marked "visible" and "safe" for installation here.
In Janaury 2013 a bug affected kernels 3.2.0-36 and 3.5.0-22. It was fixed two kernel updates later. This was the only regression which affected my systems like any system using the 2 kernels. - Yet, other users may have had different experiences. There is no warranty.
On the one hand, level 4 and 5 updates are supposed to fix bugs which affect really low level software, kernel and hardware drivers. On the other hand it is possible that what fixes a problem for one user will create a different problem for another user.

To be honest:
I hardly ever allow kernel updates to be performed the same day the new kernel has been released. I tend to wait for about a week monitoring the Mint and the Ubuntu forums for bug reports related to the current kernel update.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

After reading your post my opinion for myself has changed to "conservative". :lol: I install only level 1 and 2 updates and backports of this.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, RacerBG.

You cannot be talking to me in your last post. Provided you read my post carefully, then you will know that my Mint systems update like they were genuine Ubuntu systems. So it should be pretty hard to abuse my post as a piece of evidence why only level [1] and level [2] updates should be installed. :wink:

Karl
Lifeline
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

karlchen
I think you misunderstood RacerBG. He was calling himself "conservative" in comparison to you, based on his own existing practices.

Return to “Software & Applications”