KDM art

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Magikx21
Level 1
Level 1

KDM art

Post by Magikx21 »

Is there anyway to switch the KDM to green similar to the Mint GDM? I like the green look of the main Mint edition better and had switched the bootsplash but I can't figure out how to switch the KDM theme.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: KDM art

Post by Husse »

You can't switch just the color, you have to choose a complete theme
Magikx21
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magikx21 »

I know there is no way to just switch the color but is there a theme to change it to green or is there a way I can just edit the current theme?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

this may be what you are looking for, a manual edit
vi /etc/kde3/kdm/backgroundrc
Wallpaper=/usr/share/wallpapers/<the wallpaper i want>

in /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/daryna

change screenshot.png and background.png to wallpaper you want.
you will have to resize the wallpaer and rename it to the above and over write them.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Magikx21
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magikx21 »

Thanks! Now I got everything in the green look except the bootsplash. Is there a way I could change that as well?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

ksplash is what you want.
it has a background image that is just black.
you could chnage the image and the colour in Theme.rc
/usr/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/Daryna/

or choose another ksplash in system settings.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Magikx21
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magikx21 »

Actually I already took care of the ksplash. I am talking about the screen when the system is loading. It appears after grub but before KDM starts. I'm not exactly sure what it is called though I thought it was bootsplash or usplash.
Husse

Post by Husse »

usplash
Perhaps a bit more complicated....
Boo knows better
technoshaun

Post by technoshaun »

You can replace USplash with Splashy. Though USplash has much better FBE Animations its a big PIA to customize and requires conversion of a graphic file with a MAX of 256 Colors (Yech) to C code. Not for the average User. Splashy Is a lot different, I made a Kubuntu Customization kit that you can get here: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.ph ... 245e02d96e

It has a version of Splashy specifically designed for Gutsy Gibbon based Distros like Daryna. You can easily modify the default Splashy Theme, even if you don't know XML by changing the background image. In that kit I give the instructions on how to install and setup Splashy. There is one issue though, when you update the kernel you also have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and put in the vga=791 code again.

--Shaun
Magikx21
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magikx21 »

I'll probably wait until Elyssa KDE is out to dive into this since it seems like a bit of work but shouldn't there be a file on the Gnome version of Mint I can use to replace the one on the KDE version? I guess a search into usplash is my best bet.

Return to “Software & Applications”