[SOLVED] How do I install Cinnamon 2.0.12 in LMDE UP7?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
taytong888

[SOLVED] How do I install Cinnamon 2.0.12 in LMDE UP7?

Post by taytong888 »

Hello,
A few weeks ago I installed LMDE Cinnamon UP6 then upgraded to UP7. After this, I can only log into Gnome Classics session because Cinnamon 1.88 was removed due to conflicts between gjs and gnome-shell.

Instead of waiting for UP8, is it feasible for me to get Cinnamon 2.0.12 and gjs 1.37.6 from Mint 16 Cinnamon repos and install both in LMDE UP7?

If so, I would appreciate you showing me how to do this. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: How do I install Cinnamon 2.0.12 in LMDE UP7?

Post by killer de bug »

No it is not.

You can only compile it for now. http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/10/how-to-build-and-install-the-latest-cinnamon-from-git/
But no offense, due to your question, I don't think you should do this. You're gonna break everything. :wink:
gryphon

Post by gryphon »

See this comment: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/10/how-to-build-and-install-the-latest-cinnamon-from-git/#comment-3632 (you can compile Cinnamon 2 using an automated build script, or install the unofficial debs available in that github link.)

Anyway I'd rather wait. The RC for Petra (with Cinnamon 2) has been released: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=150170 so hopefully the new LMDE release will not be too far away.
ledzgio

Post by ledzgio »

killer de bug wrote:No it is not.

You can only compile it for now. http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/10/how-to-build-and-install-the-latest-cinnamon-from-git/
But no offense, due to your question, I don't think you should do this. You're gonna break everything. :wink:
I did it on debian testing and it worked very well. It is pretty easy and you don't need to be a linux guru ;)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

ledzgio wrote: I did it on debian testing and it worked very well. It is pretty easy and you don't need to be a linux guru ;)
That's right... as long as everything compile well. At the moment you start to have problem, you need to know what you should do :wink:
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Anyone willing to share their debs? :D Pretty, pretty please!!!
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
gryphon

Post by gryphon »

cmost wrote:Anyone willing to share their debs? :D Pretty, pretty please!!!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3boa2efnfelu ... n_nemo.zip

These are from user "VolMi" at segfault.linuxmint.com. I haven't tested them, good luck.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@ gryphon

Hey, thanks for sharing your debs!!! Unfortunately, the old adage "be careful what you wish for" applied in my case. Installing these with dpkg threw up a slew of unmet dependencies and broke numerous packages which took me about an hour to get sorted out. Back on Cinnamon 1.8 for now. I guess I'll have to wait until UP8 unless you have some words of wisdom. Thanks anyway! :D
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

cmost wrote:Installing these with dpkg threw up a slew of unmet dependencies and broke numerous packages
:shock: Why did you use dpkg at all? It's a low-level tool. It can only warn about the dependencies but cannot download the required packages.
Use gdebi/gdebi-gtk/gdebi-kde for installing the packages you download from somewhere.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@ monsta

Yeah, you're right! I'm old school I guess. I've been using Linux (mostly Debian) since 2001 or so. :D I was once a long-time Mint user back in the day when it first came out, all the way up to Daryna, then I had a love affair with Sabayon for the past several years or so until it switched to the blasted systemd. Now I'm back! I forget about the newfangled tools. So, I will give this a shot again with gdebi on the command line. Which Debian repositories do you recommend that I open up for Cinnamon 2.0? Will Debian Testing be sufficient or should I also open up Unstable? Thanks for the help! By the way, it's not that I'm simply impatient to install Cinnamon 2.0. I am having a few glitches with Cinnamon 1.8 and of course I abhor Gnome 3.8.x dependencies. Thanks!
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

cmost wrote:Which Debian repositories do you recommend that I open up for Cinnamon 2.0? Will Debian Testing be sufficient or should I also open up Unstable?
That totally depends on the system the debs were built in. Ask the author, not me. :)
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@ monsta

I did a bit of research on that thread. The guy who built the debs is building a script to fetch, build, install and automatically set up pure Cinnamon 2.0.x in Debian Sid. I think I'm going to sit this one out and wait for the official UP8 from Clem.
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

cmost wrote:@ monsta

I did a bit of research on that thread. The guy who built the debs is building a script to fetch, build, install and automatically set up pure Cinnamon 2.0.x in Debian Sid. I think I'm going to sit this one out and wait for the official UP8 from Clem.
If you are using UP you have 2 solutions :

1) You can wait 1 month and you will probably get Cinnamon 2.0.x by an upgrade. No risk, but boring. And you don't learn anything.

2) You are willing to take a few risks and learn something new. Then you can compile everything. http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/10/how-to-build-and-install-the-latest-cinnamon-from-git/
it takes less than 1 hour, and you will have Cinnamon 2.0.14 today. It's easy although a little bit risky. In order to install cinnamon-session 2.0, I had to uninstall Cinnamon & Nemo 1.8 while I was using it for example. But it's a lot of fun. After that you will probably continue with the new Mintstick, MDM...
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@ Killer de bug

Hey man, thanks for the links. I'm actually an experienced, long-time Linux user, however; I'm getting lazier as I get older. :twisted: Which is why I asked for some pre-compiled debs which I hoped would bump me up to Cinnamon 2.0 without much fuss. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. While I could in theory go ahead and compile Cinnamon 2.0 myself (and it does sound like great fun, don't get me wrong) I don't really want to spend the time fiddling with the various config files and other housekeeping chores that it will take to get me where I'll get in a month when Cinnamon 2.0 comes with UP8. Good things come to those who wait!
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

:lol:

dpkg-buildpackage will list all the missing dependencies.
copy past them after

Code: Select all

apt install
and you are done :lol:

You don't know when will UP8 be released... of course you can wait. It's alway better when you wait a long time :wink:
taytong888

Post by taytong888 »

Hello everyone,

Today I followed Clem's instruction in segfault.linuxmint.com and installed Cinnamon 2.0.14 from Git. After booting into Cinnamon session, the screen says Cinnamon is running in software rendering mode and no 3D hardware acceleration is available (e.g. no proprietary Nvidia driver?). I notice that the Cinnamon desktop is not very stable. I have GeForce 6600GT video card but for now running on nouveau driver. I am writing this post via Gnome Classic (UP7) session, nouveau driver and 1024x768 resolution.

If I install proprietary Nvidia ("nvidia driver"), the resolution becomes 800x640 which is too big for viewable display. How do I change the resolution to 1020x768?

Thanks in advance for your help.
taytong888

Post by taytong888 »

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Cinnamon needs non-free nvidia driver in order to display properly, otherwise the screen will be unstable and there's also an error message about driver for hardware acceleration not found.

1. I used Synaptic Pkg Mgr to install "nvidia driver" along with nvidia-kernel-common, nvidia-kernel-dkms, nvidia-settings, nvidia-installer-cleanup, xserver-xorg-nvidia and nvidia-xconfig

2. To generate and write a new xorg.conf file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

sudo nvidia-xconfig
3. Reboot, to install nvidia driver

4. After reboot, verify if nouveau is blacklisted:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
If the file blacklist-nouveau.conf is blank, then simply type "blacklist nouveau". Save and close the file.

#nvidia-settings
NB: Step #5 opens up the NVIDIA X Server Settings windows, so that you can choose initial resolution and save it to the X Configuration File. You cannot use the X Server Settings window on the Desktop. I did try to but failed, trust me.

6. Nvidia X Server Configuration button: Choose the highest available resolution of 640x480 (Don't choose AUTO). Then hit Save to X Configuration File button, i.e. to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. HIt Quit button to leave X Server.

7. To manually select 1024x768 screen resolution, open the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
8. In Section "Monitor", increase the HorizSync value from 33.0 (default) to 65.0

9. In Section "Screen" and adjacent to Option "metamodes", change screen resolution from "640x480" (Step 6 above) to "1024x768_60", i.e. desired resolution and frequency.

10. Save file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and reboot.

Voila! I trust this is useful, because the guides I have seen do not show how to choose screen resolution after installing Nvidia driver.

:D

Return to “LMDE Archive”