UFW Off

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stebo12

UFW Off

Post by stebo12 »

-Linux Mint Mate 16 64bit
-Regular desktop use
-I am behind a router

UFW firewall seems to be off by default. Would you recommend turning it on or leaving it off?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
OrangeCrate
Level 1
Level 1

Re: UFW Off

Post by OrangeCrate »

Personally, I have it enabled.

If you decide you want it, it's easy to do. At the command line...

Enable it:

Code: Select all

sudo ufw enable
Check that it worked:

Code: Select all

sudo ufw status

Here's the documentation. It should answer most if not all of any questions your might have. Do please note, that for most users, the default setup is fine for every day use:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW
stebo12

Post by stebo12 »

I usually turn it on, but this time I was debating whether the firewall is a performance hog or not AND whether I actually needed it?

Thanks.
JCW2

Re: UFW Off - SOLVED

Post by JCW2 »

OrangeCrate wrote:Personally, I have it enabled...
Not sure about the OP, but I'm a Newbie running Maya Cinnamon (32-bit), so far only from a boot DVD and only through the GUI (also behind a router but paranoid). In the GUI the firewall appears to have only an inbound and an outbound on/off switch. Am I assuming correctly that the preferred settings would be inbound ON and outbound OFF? (Presumably that would use the default rules for inbound. I suppose turning outbound ON would deny everything?)

Or are there other choices offered by the GUI that I missed? -- JCW2
Last edited by JCW2 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

JCW2 wrote:Am I assuming correctly that the preferred settings would be inbound ON and outbound OFF?
Just the opposite. Incoming = Deny; Outgoing = Allow.
This will deny requests to connect to your computer from the internet unless it is in response to a connection your computer initiated -- eg. Firefox browser requesting a page to view. Random attempts from the internet to connect to your computer will be denied. Outgoing = Allow lets you connect when you try -- again FF browser trying to get online as an example.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

JCW2 wrote:
Not sure about the OP, but I'm a Newbie running Maya Cinnamon (32-bit), so far only from a boot DVD and only through the GUI (also behind a router but paranoid). In the GUI the firewall appears to have only an inbound and an outbound on/off switch. Am I assuming correctly that the preferred settings would be inbound ON and outbound OFF? (Presumably that would use the default rules for inbound. I suppose turning outbound ON would deny everything?)

It is well known that the GUI (Gufw) doesn't work as intended. Even if you enable UFW using the GUI,Gufw it will display UFW is disabled everytime you restart your computer,even though it is indeed enabled. That's why most linux users just use "sudo ufw enable" rather the gufw. Set it and forget it. Unless you have particular needs you just set once and don't worry about it.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
stebo12

Post by stebo12 »

TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:
JCW2 wrote:

It is well known that the GUI (Gufw) doesn't work as intended. Even if you enable UFW using the GUI,Gufw it will display UFW is disabled everytime you restart your computer,even though it is indeed enabled. That's why most linux users just use "sudo ufw enable" rather the gufw. Set it and forget it. Unless you have particular needs you just set once and don't worry about it.
I've been told a good answer on the Gufw and the reason why it shows disabled. When you check your firewall status via the gufw, it will show 'Off' because you do not have root access to view the 'status' of the firewall...so when you use the 'unlock' button in the GUI, the 'status' becomes available and shows "On". So I believe it is working as intended, you only need root access to view the firewall status.
JCW2

Post by JCW2 »

Thanks to all for useful explanations! -- JCW2

Return to “Beginner Questions”