[solved] changing /dev/shm permissions on boot

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Riko

[solved] changing /dev/shm permissions on boot

Post by Riko »

-- sorry if this is a double post, but I can't find the one I just wrote ... maybe hit cancel?! ---

Where do I define which permissions devices created via udev are getting? I need to change the permissions of /dev/shm on boot so that the profile-sync-daemon is working.

Of course I could work-around that by explicitly mounting /dev/shm via /etc/fstab, but since it is not in there to begin this, I don't think it belongs there. I could also put a chmod into rc.local, but that is only executed after the profile-sync-daemon is started.

I didn't find anything in /etc/udev or /lib/udev ...

Thanks and cheers!

Edit: updated subject after understanding the root cause.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: change udev permissions on boot

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi Riko,

Although I've never done this myself I know a good tutorial that may help. It's written for Arch Linux but is general enough that you should be able to use it in LMDE. You can find the tutorial here.

Hope this helps. :D
Riko

Post by Riko »

Thanks, Gene, for the link. That looks a bit more complicated than I had hoped for but oh well, you'll always learn. I need to find some time to go through that and will post back and the final result.

Cheers, Riko
Riko

Post by Riko »

hmm, seems like /dev/shm is not actually created by udev but via

Code: Select all

/lib/init/mount-functions.sh
and

Code: Select all

/lib/init/tmpfs.sh
If I understood those scripts correctly, they first check if an entry for /dev/shm exists in /etc/fstab. If not, the device is created with hard-coded permissions 755. So I guess, putting an entry into /etc/fstab is actually the correct way to do it.

Since it's not an udev issue, I'll change the Subject entry.

Cheers, Riko

Return to “LMDE Archive”