Startpar: Service(s) returned failure: plymouth ... failed

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jr121705

Startpar: Service(s) returned failure: plymouth ... failed

Post by jr121705 »

I get this message when my computer is shutting down. I have looked all over the internet and can not figure out what is going on. My computer seems to be working fine, but wondering if this failure is a symptom of a problem that I don't realize.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jr121705

Re: Startpar: Service(s) returned failure: plymouth ... fail

Post by jr121705 »

I haven't got a response yet and wondering if anyone has any answers. I have done a lot of searching and cannot find an answer. Still having the error message show up when I shut the computer down, but my computer seems to be running fine as far as I can tell. So, anyone have an idea what is going on?
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

So is there really no answer here? I am surprised that over 400 people have viewed this post but no responses. Can someone at least point me in the right direction to find the answer?
Riko

Post by Riko »

Only input I can give is that I see the same message when shutting down my machine. Did some googling but did not come up with a solution.

Since as you pointed out, too, there seems not really to be any issue with this as far as running the computer is concerned, I stopped worrying about it and just ignore it.
At least, you are not alone if that is any consolidation :)

Cheers!
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

Riko,

Thanks for your response, its good to know I am not the only one. I am still a little new to Linux so I am not always sure what is going on. Maybe this will be fixed with a future update. I think that I am going to post this as a bug report and see what happens.
Dr Strangelove

Post by Dr Strangelove »

Hi JRT,

I'm getting the same message.

Plymouth is a graphical boot manager. It's a pretty picture/animation that appears while all the normal boot up processes are taking place. It doesn't seem to affect the operation of my system, and I don't think it should affect yours.
servant74

Post by servant74 »

Please post using the "This Bug Effects You" button at https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1256579
Hopefully we can get this bug fixed before long.
linenoise

Post by linenoise »

Same error here, but it seems no one is going to fix it, as the bug report has been flagged as "invalid".

Since the startpar/plymouth error results in a delay when shutting down the system, I've had to comment out all the logic between lines 73 and 106 in /etc/init.d/sendsigs

HTH.
wywer

Post by wywer »

Hi,
1)since the Linux Mint Debian 1- we are using is still not "stable", we do get to see a few glitches like the one you have reg. plymouth.

2) Open synaptic Manager using your root password. Click on "Search"and you will see A) Search-->type plymouth and B) Under"Look in--> type "Name and Description". A drop down sort of menu with items specific to "plymouth" will be displayed.C) Highlight plymouth,right-click,open properties and open "dependencies".Here, you will find what are the pre-depends,suggests and conflicts!D) Now,open the "Installed files"which is located next to the "Dependencies". Check(if you want to be doubly sure) to see if the predepends are installed,if not install. E) "Suggests" indicate that these dependencies are yet to be installed,so install them!
As a by-note, in properties of plymouth, select "version",you will find "(testing)" :) ! You should do fine once this job is done!Happy hunting!
wywer

Post by wywer »

A clarification. What i have suggested Under C), is made easy,as you just have to open"properties" displayed above the plymouth section.
keypey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keypey »

Thanks @wywerjet.
I have LMDE with XFCE installed. Plymouth related: desktop-base. After installation (synaptic) desktop-base - works fine!

keypey

Return to “LMDE Archive”