Mint 16: Netflix-desktop,pipelight + nvidia proprietary

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iowabeakster

Mint 16: Netflix-desktop,pipelight + nvidia proprietary

Post by iowabeakster »

So I just installed Mint 16 (Cinnamon) on my living room PC. I installed the latest (331.20) propietary blob. It's working but I had some goofyness in getting it done.

When I first tried to run the installer blob, it told me that libc-dev was not installed. I installed it from synaptic.

Then it told me that gcc was not an acceptable version. When I checked synaptic to see what was installed (4.7 and 4.8 I believe) I decided to do nothing.

I ran the installer blob again, and told it to skip the compiler check. It compiled and installed fine. As far as I can tell, it's all working beautifully. Both the 24" monitor and 42" TV.

I tried installing both Netflix-Desktop and Pipelight. Neither is working correctly. Both install and set-up without issues. I've used both for some time on various hardware configs (on mint 15 and Xubuntu 12.10, 13.04, and 13.10). I've got plenty of experience with using these apps without issue.

Netflix-desktop is giving me a total black screen when the video starts streaming (and remains black) with no sound.

Pipelight (in Chrome, spoofed as Firefox 15) is giving me the "Cannot load Silverlight plug-in" warning.

Anybody got these video streaming apps working in Mint 16 with nvidia proprietaries? Working in Mint 16 and any other drivers? Working in Mint 16 at all?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
iowabeakster

Re: Mint 16: Netflix-desktop,pipelight + nvidia proprietary

Post by iowabeakster »

Today I tried to start fresh with mint 16. This time I installed the Nvidia drivers through the GUI > System Settings > Device Driver method. That worked slick.

And then I reinstalled Netflix-Desktop.

Now I have Sound! But the firefox window becomes entirely transparent. I guess that's progress, I think.

Anybody else?

--edit

I also tried with pipelight too.

Pretty much the same thing: I have sound but no picture.

Further playing with both has revealed that when starting the video stream, I get strange video artifacting sometimes from the previous web page (or the completely transparent window thing). I think that hardware acceleration is borked.

I tried downgrading from the 330 driver to the 319 (with the system GUI for driver installation), and had the exact same results. Both these drivers (manually installed) and both apps work perfectly fine on my old mint 15 install.
dtroxel

Post by dtroxel »

I am having the exact same problem with Mint 16 Cinnamon + nvidia proprietary. I get sound in firefox with Netflix, but no video.
Gratch

Post by Gratch »

Hi guys, Im new to the board. I'm having the same problem. No video with Netflix-Desktop. I can run Hulu plus and dvds all seem fine. Im also having display issues with a game that runs through wine. Im reading games off steam are okay. So far Im seeing wine as being the common denominator.
iowabeakster

Post by iowabeakster »

Thanks for the input guys. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Sorry you are having the same problems, though.

Anyway, I'm doing some more experimentation, when I can. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Last night, I was played with some parameters in pipelight. Tried to disable hardware acceleration. Tried to force hardware acceleration. The graphical glitches are different depending on hw acceleration modes, but still nothing came close to playing video.

Tried in both Firefox and Chrome (i usually only use chrome). I tried different versions of Silverlight. But I didn't really expect that to help, and it didn't.

I also tried using the Nouveau driver. No luck there.
Last edited by iowabeakster on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iowabeakster

Post by iowabeakster »

Some more experimentation results...

I installed Mint 16 Mate, and installed proprietary drivers through GUI. I got the same results as on Cinnamon.

I tried Xubuntu 13.10, and installed proprietary drivers through GUI. After some googling and monkeying around to get audio working (due to an ubuntu bug), I got pipelight working as it should be*.

*There was slight video tearing in Xubuntu 13.10. I was able to fix the tearing in mint 15 by adding these two line to /etc/environment.

CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
CLUTTER_VBLANK=True

Unfortunately this fix does does not work in Xubuntu the way that it does in Mint 15. But besides that slight tearing, pipelight was working proplerly in Xubuntu 13.10. It had good smooth video playback, with good resolution. I didn't try netflix-desktop, but I assume that it works also, as they both use the same wine-compholio package to manage the silverlight implementation.

So somewhere between wine and Mint 16, things are not playing nice.

On a possibly related, or completely unrelated, sub note, I like the 3D Coverflow alt-tab switching on Cinnamon deskop. On mint 15 it works very smoothly and quick. On mint 16 it is very slow and janky.

All this is on a Intel i5-3570K @3.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM 1600, and a GTX 660 (superclocked EVGA).
burble

Post by burble »

Just to pile on/more info:
same situation, had both pipelight and netflix-desktop working fine on Xubuntu 13.10.
Converted over to mint 16 and only get audio with no video.
Gratch

Post by Gratch »

Alright, I think I got it solved. I guess it pays to read the "Release Notes". Here's a quote from it:

"Recommended packages and 32-bit libraries

Recommended packages are no longer automatically installed in Linux Mint. To install a package with its recommended packages, use the command "apt install packagename --install-recommends".

If you're experiencing issues with Skype or other 32-bit programs under Linux Mint 64-bit, install the package "ia32-libs".

I skipped the first part with "apt install" I didn't quite understand it. I just installed ia32-libs from the terminal. Everything runs fine now. These files aren't included in the original installation, I guess previous versions of Mint had them. I don't know anything about "Pipelight" but I'm assuming this would fix that too.
iowabeakster

Post by iowabeakster »

gratch,

ah yes. it does pay to read. good call

Thanks for doing that for us all. I'm can't test it yet (need to put the mint 16 on a usb and reinstall mint 16 again). But I'll get started on that whenever I can.

Pipelight is similar to the various -desktop apps (like netflix-desktop). The difference is that it installs and runs the windows version of the silverlight plug-in in your normal browser (and flash too, if you want) through wine-compholio, and pipes the video back to your native linux browser window (instead of using a separate Windows version of firefox, just for netflix). Apparently it uses less CPU than running the whole Windows version of firefox in wine. And it is really nice to have the option of using your native linux browser.

But I get smoother looking video through netflix-desktop. So, I use netflix-desktop when I care about quality. YMMV

check here for instrucions:
[url]http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipelight-use-silverlight-in-your-linux.html[/url]
rivertrap

Post by rivertrap »

That worked! Thanks. Still has some other issue in chrome, but I can watch Netflix in Firefox with no problem.
unimatrix725

Post by unimatrix725 »

rivertrap wrote:That worked! Thanks. Still has some other issue in chrome, but I can watch Netflix in Firefox with no problem.
The same guide you used helped me. I did this about 2wks or so ago. I am 64-bit Petra Asus GTX 560 1GB w/ Viz-E260MV & LG TV is my video. Missed your card info. I did not see any others mention it, but I use "xorg crack pushers" ppa.
It has the newest nvidia drivers (closer to blob) with some tweaks, nothing oc related. (Off Topic) It does however not like CUDA (BOINC), beware. I am certain there is a fix. Also a "stable branch"
https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

It really works flawlessly. There is a caveat of UnStable stuff is included so be ready to rollback, or get dirty with terminal.
Worst thing happened after install was crashed desktop session & wrong resolution. Tell it to stop loading desktop, went to terminal and sudo nvidia-xconfig, reboot and all was well.
(Off Topic) I can get hdmi working w/sound and use my digital optical on the 990FX for surround. I use XBMC with the LG TV, and love it. It is just like what is in my bedroom XBOX OG w/ XBMC. At the very least get the latest XBMC if you watch TV or Movies, seriously. I used to love VLC, now my ex. I have multiple partitions so Wiping My Root is no big deal as my Home is Safe. I will soon put my 9500 back in and check dual cards. It worked alright in Olivia, however I got a new mobo & drives. UEFI is so much fun... :P
mWags

Post by mWags »

Gratch wrote:I skipped the first part with "apt install" I didn't quite understand it. I just installed ia32-libs from the terminal. Everything runs fine now. These files aren't included in the original installation, I guess previous versions of Mint had them. I don't know anything about "Pipelight" but I'm assuming this would fix that too.
Thanks for this, worked for me.
quaid

Post by quaid »

ia32-libs is deprecated, so I really don't want to install it to fix problems. I would prefer if someone could suggest a solution that embraces/respects the new system. Any suggestions?
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs worked for me, thanks a bunch.

Why is ia32-libs deprecated? O.o

At this point, I did it this method because I'm not primarily here for Netflix, I just found out that a future online class I am taking this upcoming semester requires Microsoft Silverlite -_-, so any method will do for me
bathynomus

Post by bathynomus »

ericramos1990 wrote:sudo apt-get install ia32-libs worked for me, thanks a bunch.
Worked for me as well. Thanks all.
rayduch

Post by rayduch »

I had the same issue you had. I suspected the NVIDIA proprietary driver so I tested by making a new Mint16 (Mate) install and loaded up the Netflix Destop first...ran great. Then I installed the NVIDIA proprietary driver and the Netflix Desktop continued to work.

Installing the NVIDIA proprietary driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49) is a lot of hassle on this machine and this video card (9600 GT)...a whole other story though.
ChrisAJ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ChrisAJ »

flix.png
This all I get when I try to play anything on my Dell D505 Linux Mint 13 laptop.
Shootfast

Post by Shootfast »

Hi, Just wanted to post a reply for people who don't want to resort to ia32-libs.

If you already have multiarch enabled, you just need to install the following packages:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libxrandr2:i386 libcups2:i386 libcapi20-3:i386 libgsm1:i386 libodbc1:i386 libsane:i386 libv4l-0:i386 libxcomposite1:i386 libxi6:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 libxinerama1:i386
These were discovered by running the pipelight system check:

Code: Select all

pipelight-plugin --system-check
On my box, the only library missing is libnetapi, which I don't have for either 32 or 64 bit. Everything now seems to work fine though :)

Return to “Sound”