Black screen issue with ATI all-in-wonder 8500

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abw101
Level 2
Level 2

Black screen issue with ATI all-in-wonder 8500

Post by abw101 »

Hi everyone. I've faithfully installed Mint 4 for the first time. I am new to linux and how to find answers. I am not new to computers.
I've got the right ATI driver installed and I've set my resolution to 1280x768 with out a problem. I've not evoked any 3D or fancy graphic heavy items like compiz-fu
The problem is when I boot up it gets pasted the splash and grub menu but the signal to the monitor goes off and thus black screen. If I play with the only 2 options in grub when pressing F1 I can randomly get it to boot to desktop. Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to resolve this annoying issue?
I've been thinking that ATI 8500 cards just are flaky and may go buy one. I've got AGP or PCI slots, which is the best 100 dollar card to get with Mint that will work without a hitch and will run all the heavy graphics stuff like the cube...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Black screen issue with ATI all-in-wonder 8500

Post by Husse »

Yes, some ATI cards are not that good...
I don't know where in the world you are but here I can get a GeForce FX5500 for something like 50$
abw101
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abw101 »

Husse wrote:Yes, some ATI cards are not that good...
I don't know where in the world you are but here I can get a GeForce FX5500 for something like 50$
Well installing beta 5.032 seems to have fixed my problem. So far so good... BTW 28 bucks here for that card, BC, Canada
Husse

Post by Husse »

BTW 28 bucks here for that card, BC, Canada
Damn - that's cheap.....

Return to “Installation & Boot”