Mint 16 and Remastersys

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Mint 16 and Remastersys

Post by chiefjim »

I see the REMASTERSYS repository is reopened. Accepting that Mint 16 has just been released can anyone report if the two work together?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
gold_finger

Re: Mint 16 and Remastersys

Post by gold_finger »

chiefjim wrote:I see the REMASTERSYS repository is reopened.
Where did you see that? I'd like to add their repo as well but can't find anything about a new repo through searches. Last I knew, [url=http://system-imaging.blogspot.com/]these people[/url] took over the project but there is no news about new repo on their site.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

http://www.remastersys.com/

No dates show on the webpage however.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Yes, I've seen that. It's an old post by developer shortly after abandoning project. I haven't tried enabling it, so can't confirm that it still works. What I did to get remastersys is posted here: [url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=150023#p784475[/url]

I used it on my Xfce 14 system, but haven't tested it on 15 or 16 so can't confirm for you if it works with newer versions. Might as well give it a try to see though. If you can't get through repo, just download from where I got it.
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spsf64 »

Link to sourceforge page. Remastersys 3.0.4-2

http://sourceforge.net/projects/os4systemimage/
Sergio
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Guess I'll make a trial run with that on my spare laptop.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Worked fine with the laptop. I'll make the transition soon here with the desktop.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Good to know. Thanks for posting back with that.
Becky232

Post by Becky232 »

Ok - first thing I did was try installing remastersys 3.04...... and ran into problems.

Firstly..... if I make a distribution iso, there's no login facility until I presss the 'up' key, and it doesn't go straight into a working live screen either... I just get the vertically lines green background... and nothing.... When I try starting the installer directly from boot..... the screen flashes light grey as if it was about to do what I wanted... and then carries onto the green background. So - not very usable there!

Secondly - the backup iso......starts normally and get's to a desktop and everything is usable... Problem is - there's no installer from the live desktop.... it's not showing in any menu that I've found... and I've checked all the entries with 'alacarte'..... and if I try to start the installer from the boot grub screen.... it just carries on to the normal live desktop.

In a VM, these things seems to work properly.... although I've not yet checked all the iso's I've made.... but on physical hardware, the problems are there and I can't see what's missing or which switches/options I'm failing to spot.

I've looked at the manual for 'System Imager'..... and until they've got a gui and simple installer for just making the iso's - instead of a full-on MS level imaging server system, I ain't going down there.....

Are my problems with remastersys being seen by others... and are there any solutions to these problems - or are there any forks of remastersys that might still work.....?

PS - I'm using the latest virtualbox to make the iso's... and I'm testing an Intel D630 based machine and an AMD Phenom II quad core PC. You may assume plenty of memory and seagate or WD HDD... and the Intel machine's screen is running 1280x1024 and the AMD is full 1920x1080. I can't see how the hardware can be affecting the iso's.

Help!
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

@becky232,
I have only used the "Backup" button on remastersys to create a live backup, so can't answer on creating live "Distrobution", or the "Customize" button. Also, I have not done an install from the Backup iso to real hardware. Within VirtualBox, when I boot the custom iso I do get an "Install" icon on the desktop. Below are two pics: one during boot-up of iso, the other of the desktop with install icon. After reading your post, I just did an install from that live backup into VBox and everything worked fine.
custom-iso-booting.png
custom-iso-mint14xfce-2.png
becky232 wrote:Secondly - the backup iso......starts normally and get's to a desktop and everything is usable... Problem is - there's no installer from the live desktop....
becky232 wrote:In a VM, these things seems to work properly....
Are you saying that you also can see the install icon when booting your backup iso in VBox and can install it in VBox, but none of that happens on real hardware?

If so, then let me know -- maybe I can try mine on an extra computer to see if I have the same problem and report back, but don't want to bother doing so if that is not your issue.
Becky232

Post by Becky232 »

Hi gold_finger!

Right - just tested it again. This is a 'backup' iso - with all my additional apps installed that comes to around 3GB (well, it's got a number of windows apps installed under wine) - and when I've booted it as an ordinary live disk, it starts exactly as I'd expect - but there is no install icon on the desktop and there's no mention of any means of installing it from the menu's....

So - a backup disk that I can't install from anywhere is pretty useless!

I've also just tried the distribution iso again - and the normal boot procedure takes me to a green screen with a shutdown button in the extreme top right. If I then press the 'up' key, I get a login dialogue box.... but there's no name showing and it won't accept a password - or even no password - so it's completely impossible to get to a normal desktop!

However - selecting the install function directly from the grub menu, with the distribution iso, it does eventually get to show the installer and this appears to install normally.... (just rebooted the VM and it has given a working installation).

I'm using the 32 bit cinnamon version so that I can use it on any hardware and I'm using the latest version of VirtualBox - downloaded over the weekend - with the extension pack. The VM's I create have 500GB of disk and 4GB of RAM. The USB controller is set to USB2 and the display is set to 128MB with 3d acceleration.

Hope that helps.

PS- more real hardware tests will have to wait for the weekend - my calendar is hellish!
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

I use the 64 bit system. Did you install the gui? All normal screen prompts.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Becky232 wrote:Right - just tested it again. This is a 'backup' iso - with all my additional apps installed that comes to around 3GB (well, it's got a number of windows apps installed under wine) - and when I've booted it as an ordinary live disk, it starts exactly as I'd expect - but there is no install icon on the desktop and there's no mention of any means of installing it from the menu's....
Is there no install icon when booting in VBox and when booting real computer; or does it only lack install icon on real computer?

On mine (pictured above), it was made from 64-bit Xfce 14 with added packages and some program settings and Firefox bookmarks pre-done. I chose "Backup" option with Remastersys and it gave me live bootable and installable version. Not sure what is going wrong for you on your attempt(s).

The version of Remastersys I installed is described here: [url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=150023#p784475[/url] You may have done the same, I don't know. If not, and further attempts don't produce installable iso's, maybe remove remastersys package; then re-install as described in link above.
Becky232

Post by Becky232 »

That looks like the same place I got my download of remastersys.... but I've taken a fresh copy. I've also backed up all the other downloads (apt cache) and I'm going to try again this weekend - only this time, I'll try it using Fusion instead of VirtualBox - or maybe I'll build it in VMplayer on Windows.... or maybe I'll just do it all..... something's got to work!

PS - don't know whether it's just me or what... but I'm finding that the latest VirtualBox running on OS/X Maverick is a bit of a pig - nothing works like it used to and there's no smoothness to it's operation like I get with Fusion. Maybe I'm old-fashioned expecting things to work...?
Becky232

Post by Becky232 »

Ok - tried on the AMD quad-core running Windows 8 and VMware Player 5.0.1....... it works!

I have iso's with installers that work and beyond a wierd problem with DVD playing, I seem to be well on the way to a master live disk for my particular needs.

One thing I did note is that I built the last ISO's by setting the disk label and not a let else beyond choosing distro or backup - it just seems to work... Now if I can put together a good theme, for my corporate style, I'll be happy!

If I find any other issues, I'll be back.......

PS - still got to make a 64 bit version........
derethor

Post by derethor »

I am making a live dvd for one computer, i used remastersys in the past, but I see that it is dead.

Mint 16 32bits... what should I use for this?

Thank you!!
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

derethor wrote:I am making a live dvd for one computer, i used remastersys in the past, but I see that it is dead.

Mint 16 32bits... what should I use for this?

Thank you!!
As stated in one of the above posts, chiefjim did successfully use the old version with Mint 16 -- so you should be okay with that as well.

Go here to download the two files needed: http://sourceforge.net/projects/os4syst ... 203.0.4-2/

For 32-bit systems, download both of these: remastersys_3.0.4-2_all.deb and remastersys-gui_3.0.4-1_i386.deb

Install the remastersys_3.0.4-2_all.deb first; then install the second one to get the GUI.

Return to “Software & Applications”