Best web browser for Linux mint 2013.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Kruthihashini

Re: Best web browser for Linux mint 2013.

Post by Kruthihashini »

I like Mozilla Firefox . It's really easy to use and fast.
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

SeaMonkey is my favorite. I prefer the "integrated" approach, and it's an alternative over the now degraded Opera Suite. Out-of-the-box it offers more than FF and TB, and I don't have to cope with some questionable decisions (mainly for the interface).

... However under Linux I've had issues. The ubuntuzilla build had problems with my middle-mouse button (couldn't use it to close tabs) and I couldn't set it as my default browser (which is already hard enough under Linux). So right now I use Chromium/FF.
passerby

Post by passerby »

I liked the integration of SeaMonkey, but it doesn't support several of the addons I use with firefox.
famicommander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by famicommander »

Opera. Opera Link keeps my bookmarks synched between my laptop, tablet, phone and desktop (but only when I tell it to).

It's also the only browser that looks appealing to me out of the box; I think Firefox is clunky looking and Chromium is too minimal. I like having a dedicated search bar, I like my bookmarks bar underneath my URL bar, and I like my tabs bar on top.

I have also gotten very used to having Opera's built in mouse gestures. Anytime I'm forced to use a new browser I perform all my mouse gestures from muscle memory and nothing happens. I'm sure there are add-ons for Firefox and Chrome that accomplish the same thing but I can't be bothered to hunt them down.

Only the Presto based Opera releases are any good, though. The Blink engine that Chromium and the Opera 15 and later browsers share is awful. They eliminated so many features I liked.
Denny78

Post by Denny78 »

Shay255 wrote:What is your favorite web browser for Linux mint in 2013. Is it Google chrome, Chromium, Firefox, Opera or some of the lesser known browsers. I wanna know what the best browser for Linux mint in 2013 is :D.
I have been using Firefox for years on both Linux and Windows. Recently I was using Google Chrome, it is pretty decent as well.

I like Firefox because I am used to it and for the most part it performs really well. :)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Firefox is even winning on Android... http://www.linuxjournal.com/rc2013?page=13

And for desktop, Firefox is the King. http://www.linuxjournal.com/rc2013?page=16
Gerapa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gerapa »

Google Chrome for me, not because it is better than others, but for Flash working better. I play several games using Flash, so it is an important factor for me.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Flash working better on Chrome? I thought I read of many that complained about flash on Chrome?
No flash issues for me using Firefox.

And for me there is no BEST browser except Best for Me!.
Each has there own reasons for whatever works best for them. May not work best for me.
Just glad that we have choices. So Best for everyone is Choices! :P
Gerapa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gerapa »

Flash working better on Chrome? I thought I read of many that complained about flash on Chrome?
Unfortunatly yes (well, in my case). Flash animations in games are more fluid and less "flickering". But maybe it's mainly visible in games.
Evil Beejeebers

Post by Evil Beejeebers »

Firefox I used to use chrome, but Firefox has got a lot better again.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Firefox respect the user. That's enough to make it the best of the browsers...

Chrome is like sex without condoms. It can be good and safe, but you need to be sure before doing it... :mrgreen:
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

Firefox, with Adblock Edge, Beef Taco, BetterPrivacy, Disconnect, https-everywhere, and Firefox Sync keeps my bookmarks the same on all computers.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Opera is the fastest [url]http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/05/what-is-the-fastest-browser-on-linux[/url]
passerby

Post by passerby »

Brahim wrote:Opera is the fastest http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/05/what-is-the-fastest-browser-on-linux
Might want to get a more recent article to back up your claim.
hoppimike

Post by hoppimike »

I'm really enjoying SRWare Iron at the moment. All the great stuff about Chrome, with more respect for user privacy and without the Google crap lol

It's cool! :)
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Firefox, it just works with no problems. :mrgreen:
jahid

Post by jahid »

to me, firefox is the best
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

hoppimike wrote:I'm really enjoying SRWare Iron at the moment. All the great stuff about Chrome, with more respect for user privacy and without the Google crap lol

That looks nice. However it seems it doesn't have Chrome's Pepper, which made me switch from Chromium to Chrome.
hoppimike

Post by hoppimike »

Previous1 wrote:
hoppimike wrote:I'm really enjoying SRWare Iron at the moment. All the great stuff about Chrome, with more respect for user privacy and without the Google crap lol

That looks nice. However it seems it doesn't have Chrome's Pepper, which made me switch from Chromium to Chrome.
erm... what's Pepper? :)
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

hoppimike wrote:erm... what's Pepper?
Google's own (sandboxed) version of Flash. For Linux it has a newer version than Adobe's, and some gain performance/stability that way.

Return to “Open Chat”