Installing LMDE across 2 drives

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
clocksprings

Installing LMDE across 2 drives

Post by clocksprings »

Hi, I would like to install LMDE 201303 across both a HDD and SSD, but I'm always stuck at the choose Hard Drive section of the installer.

Whenever I select 'Manually mount partitions', It goes to a page with many warnings, including assurances that I can chroot into /target and write /etc/fstab. But after that, I get an install GRUB screen and subsequently it a gives an error "You must first manually mount your target filesystem(s) at /target to do a custom install!"

However when I select the alternative I can only select 1 drive to install to. I want the /boot and root partitions to be on the SSD, while the /home and preferably the swap partition to be on the HDD.

Is there any way I can install LMDE across the drives?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Installing LMDE across 2 drives

Post by cwsnyder »

The answer is yes, but NOT simply. If you are not comfortable in manually creating and mounting file systems and partitions, stop here.

THIS IS THE SIMPLE EXPLANATION:
  • Start your installation from your Live install media.
  • Use your Live install media and fdisk/cfdisk/parted/gparted/etc. to create your partition scheme on the two drives when you get to the manual install of partitions step. My suggestion would be to use the Ctrl-Alt-Fn key combination where Fn is one of the F1-F12 function keys to open a terminal window.
  • In your terminal window do the following, changing /dev/#### device numbers to match your actual configuration either in a terminal or GUI commands:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /target     # /target is off of / on your Live system.
    sudo mkdir /target/home
    sudo mkdir /target/boot
    sudo mkdir /target/etc
    sudo mkswap /dev/sdb2
    swapon /dev/sdb2                         # change to point to your swap partition
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /target       # should point to your partition for /
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /target/boot   # should point to your partition for /boot
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /target/home   # should point to your partition for /home
  • Your file system is now mounted for installation (at least AFAIK)
  • You now need to create your file system table. Again use your GUI commands or

Code: Select all

sudo chroot /target
    sudo mkdir /etc
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab     # create your file system table
    I can give you little guidance on creating fstab.
  • After you are finished, conclude your install, then reboot to your new system.
I haven't actually done this, I have usually installed to just one partition.
Lukfi

Re: Installing LMDE across 2 drives

Post by Lukfi »

Well I am willing to get my hands dirty a little bit.
I mounted my filesystems at /target, the installation went on until the screen where it tells you to write your own fstab (which I did) and install packages you might need (I don't) and click Forward when you're done.
Except… the Forward button is grey and cannot be clicked. What do I do now?!

// oh I see. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=129381
Granted, I have an old DVD image, but there's nothing newer on the website. This + the fact that nobody cares really irks me.

Return to “LMDE Archive”