Install from CD without running LiveCD?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thartley
Level 1
Level 1

Install from CD without running LiveCD?

Post by thartley »

Is there a way to install Bianca without first running the LiveCD? What I mean is, I have the iso on CD, but I'd like to just install it without first running the LiveCD version. I didn't see anything in the choices to do this, but maybe I'm just missing something. I currently have Ubuntu Dapper installed, but I haven't tweaked it much, so I'd like to just install Bianca instead.

The computer is an older laptop - P-II vintage with only 128MB of RAM. I had to use the Ubuntu alternate-i386 version originally. Last night the Bianca LiveCD would almost finish, but not quite. I tried the LiveCD on a newer computer and it worked fine, so I know the disc is good.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking forward to using this version and am appreciative of the efforts that went into creating it.

Thanks,

Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thartley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thartley »

Thank you for the reply.

I should admit that I'm a newbie with Linux. I stumbled onto the Mint group here a few days ago while looking for a way to get an Airlink AWLC3026 PCMCIA wireless adapter to work with Ubuntu. I had already added Automatix to Ubuntu.

Bianca has the drivers for this card, Ubuntu doesn't. I tried to add Mint's repository, but I must have made an error because it didn't want to work correctly. It said it couldn't find certain things. I don't recall now what the actual problems were. I thought maybe I had to install Bianca in order to get the drivers. I'd be glad to try it again and post the messages.

I would mainly like to add the Airlink drivers from Bianca, but I also like the features of the MintDesk. If there is a way to get both those things without a full install, I'd be okay with that.

Thanks.
thartley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thartley »

I added the linuxmint repository to sources.list and reloaded synaptic. I found the listing for mintwifi. Tried to add it but I got an error message:

Depends: ndiswrapper-utils-1.1 but it is not installable
Depends: ndiswrapper-utils-1.8 but it is not installable

I searched synaptic for ndiswrapper and found three things.

ndisgtk 0.6-0ubuntu1
ndiswrapper-source 1.8-0ubuntu2
ndiswrapper-utils 1.8-0ubuntu2

I added them and tried it again. Still no luck. Same error message. I verified that ndisgtk and ndiswrapper was installed, but it only shows the 1.8 version installed. I couldn't find the 1.1 version.

What do you make of this?

Thanks.
thartley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thartley »

Hi Mintero,

I tried your suggestion, but when I highlight ndiswrapper-utils under the Package column and then pull down the Package pulldown, the Force Version choice is grayed out. I checked the Help section for this as well, following the steps again, but met with the same result. At one point I even uninstalled the ndiswrapper stuff and reinstalled it just to see if I could get more choices.

Do you think this could be the result of using the Ubuntu alternate-i386 installation instead of the full version?

I'm trying all this on an older IBM 770X Thinkpad. At this point it would be easier to just pick up a different PCMCIA card that is known to work, but I don't like to throw in the towel, since Mint has the capability to work with the present card.

Thanks.
thartley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thartley »

Hi mintero,

I edited the menu.lst file. It took a couple of trys before I realized I had to hold down the ESC key while booting to get the version choices to show up. Unfortunately, the only choices I have are 2.6.15-28-386, 2.6.15-27-386 and 2.6.15-26-386. It says my version of GRUB is 0.97.

Is it looking more like an issue with the Ubuntu alternate-i386 version?

Tom
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

The LiveCD is unfortunately the only way to install Linux Mint so far.

Clem
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psycosmyth »

thank you Clem!
Can't wait for the KD(XFC)E versions.
Gnome is a booger on this older laptop. I got it to boot one time. I can't install it. I did put it on my desktop though.
An alternate would be nice for Cassandra.

Return to “Installation & Boot”