what an amazing experience!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
twin
Level 2
Level 2

what an amazing experience!

Post by twin »

Hi everyone!

Today I installed the beta release of xfce Linux Mint Daryna on a friends old laptop.

Boy, that was a pleasant experience! I thank all the people in the project for their work from the bottom of my heart!

To my personal taste the Xfce version is even better looking than the main edition.

Everything I saw in this distro is well thought out, and really fast even with old hardware!

Thank you people! Thank you very much! :D :D :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: what an amazing experience!

Post by Husse »

Thank you and welcome to Mint :wink:
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Sakonim wrote:Is there any way way I can add the community xfce desktop in addition to the standard gnome one like you can with ubuntu?
You will only get XFCE not all the things I did to make XFCE CE.
Also the repos don't have my packages in them yet.
I could make a script to run and have it set everything up, but this could cause problems with Gnome desktop.
Also the mint apps for XFCE are different then the Gnome ones and most likely would cause problems.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi All,

I too have just installed the XFCE Beta 8 version of Linux Mint onto an old (and I mean OLD!!)
desktop PC with only 320MB of ram, 2 x 40GB hard drives and an old Nvidia Graphics card and I have
to say that I am impressed !

The machine used to have windows 98 on it, it ran like a dog but with Mint XFCE it flies ...
I think this light weight version of the Mint Desktop solution has an excellent future !

Keep up the good work.

Many thanks !

Mike.

EDIT: It's also extremely easy to shrink this version of LinuxMint down for Server usage ... and its fast too :)
austin1

Post by austin1 »

I never thought I'd say this, but for me Mint XFCE is better than PCLinuxOS. I loved Vector XFCE 5.8, but I struggled with various aspects of it, and kept going back to PCLOS. But Mint Daryna XFCE is working correctly (and prettily) in so many different areas, it simply beats PCLOS. Daryna recognises my all-in-one printer scanner (HP Deskjet F4180) which every other distro I have tried refuses, it recognises my camera (Kodak Easyshare C813), does my wireless Atheros card (LinkSys WMP55AG), and much more. It's very fast and looks very cool and crisp. The Mint development cycle is faster and sharper than PCLinuxOS.

My PC is an old Dell Optiplex GX260 P4 2ghz, 1gb ram. Dual boot with XP Pro. I love being able to delete Windows files from inside Linux - excellent!

This Mint XFCE is getting extremely good. Windows looks increasingly lame every week, and Mint XFCE just keeps getting cooler. I can't imagine M$ EVER being able to produce an OS that would win me back. Thank you to the Mint gurus!! :)

By the time Windows 7 comes out, Linux will be even better.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yes - hopefully we will have a XFCE edition that is gold and not beta :)
DC

Post by DC »

Husse wrote:
Yes - hopefully we will have a XFCE edition that is gold and not beta :)
If there's one critical basic thing in Mint XFCE that needs to be prioritised above everything else, it's TTF font management. In PCLinuxOS I used the automated font installer/converter to import almost 1,000 TTF fonts - it was effortless. I set it to work with 3 or 4 clicks, and came back after my tea break and it was all done and perfect.

For real graphic design possibilities in Scribus, a good designer needs at least 1,000 fonts to play with (I prefer nearer to 2,000).

When Mint XFCE can do that font management thing, PCLinuxOS (much as I love it) and a few other top distros can be permanently put back on the shelf to gather dust :)

Return to “Xfce”