(Solved) MD5 checksum wrong with 16 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Conker

(Solved) MD5 checksum wrong with 16 Cinnamon

Post by Conker »

I burned (at only 8x) the ISO image for 64-bit Cinnamon Petra but found that the MD5 check sum did not verify with the one on the Mint download site here
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=144
OK, I tried again with a different burner program and again it did not get verified with the MD5 checksum.
However, both of my DVD ISO Images give the same checksum value, suggesting that the burn was good, so can anyone please suggest what I am doing wrong?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: MD5 checksum wrong with 16 Cinnamon

Post by jungle_boy »

1- Which burner did you use to burn the DVD?

2- How you calculated the md5 sum?

3- You calculated the md5 sum of downloaded ISO image or dvd recorded?
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Conker

Post by Conker »

1. First one I tried was ISOBurner from http://freeisoburner.com/
Second one I tried was CDBurnerXP from http://download.cnet.com/CDBurnerXP/3000-2646_4-10409086.html

2. To do the checksum I used WinMD5Free v 1.20 from www.winmd5.com
3. Both. They were the same.
I have also just tried a different mirror download site and get the exact same checksum.
Thanks for the response.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

The md5 sum are different in iso image and in a burned DVD.

I dont know if windows burner calculate correctly a md5 sum...

If you have already installed successfully LM, place the downloaded iso image in the folder Download there, open terminal here (Download directory) and type:

Code: Select all

md5sum <name_of_the_downloaded_iso_image>
After, compare it with the md5 sum on the MInt download place.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Conker

Post by Conker »

Thanks jungle_boy but I am doing this on an old Windows Vista desktop that I want to potentially move over to Mint so I can't use Terminal.
(Many Windows users who want to move to Mint are in this situation right?)
When I get access to my Mint 15 laptop I will redo it all again and try your suggestion.
Thank you again.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Conker wrote: (Many Windows users who want to move to Mint are in this situation right?)
Of course!

Welcome to the world of freedom, welcome to Linux!
LM 21 Cinnamon
Conker

Re: (Solved) MD5 checksum wrong with 16 Cinnamon

Post by Conker »

Well, I got my Mint 15 Cinnamon laptop and was able to get a good ISO image with correct checksum for 16 Cinnamon. Installed it and everything works very well.This Linux stuff is really starting to appeal to me.
I have edited original post title to (Solved) but I have no idea why I could not get a correct ISO image via the Vista box ( which is the situation for many potential conversions fromWindows.)
Appreciate the support.

Return to “Beginner Questions”