Fusion Icon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

Fusion Icon

Post by Lantesh »

In case anyone doesn't know about this great little utility I'd thought I'd post up about it. It's like Compiz Switch, but way better with options and additional features. It runs down in the system tray. You can install it from Synaptic package manager. In order to get it to auto load when you boot the PC each time you will have to add it to Sessions. When you create the launcher in Sessions use “fusion-icon -n” for the launch command, without the quotes of course. The "-n" prevents Fusion Icon itself from reloading Compiz yet again after boot. Let me know what you think of this little utility. I love it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Fusion Icon

Post by 67GTA »

It is pretty handy. I used it when I was trying out Opensuse 10.3.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Here are some more great utilities: Gnome Color Chooser, Start-Up Manager, and Ubuntu-Tweak.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I actually use all three of them with Mint :D
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Yeah, fusion-icon is great, had it running in Daryna a while as well, but there was always something wrong with it. Great that they finally included it in the Ubuntu repositories, as the GL Desktop icon they offered was just useless.
By the way, is it only in the Elyssa repositories, or has it made it's appearance in the Gutsy repositories as well?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

The last time I was using Kubuntu Gutsy, it wasn't there. I still had to install it manually.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Here is a good tip. When you install a package through apt, either with the CLI or Synaptic, a backup .deb copy is kept in /var/cache/apt/archives (assuming you've got this option turned on in Synaptic). So if you've got something installed in one OS, and you need it for another you can copy it from this folder, and use GDebi to install it in another. This is really useful if you've got Elyssa on one machine, and need a package for your other Daryna machine. It sure beats compiling.

Return to “Software & Applications”