How do I install Java?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
funky_uncle

How do I install Java?

Post by funky_uncle »

I'm running Elyssa and Firefox 2. How do I go about installing Java? I downloaded the program from http://www.java.com and followed instructions, but it doesn't work. I assume I can find it somewhere in the Package Manager, but how on earth do I figure out which of the 4738290675 packages I'm supposed to install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How do I install Java?

Post by 67GTA »

Java is installed already in Mint. You do not have to install it manually. Are you having trouble with it?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

sun-java-plugin. Should be installed by default, though...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

Elyssa and Firefox 2
Your problem may be here - it's not the default
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Good eye Husse. I didn't catch that. That will probably cause all sorts of problems since the OS was setup with FF3. Are you not able to use FF3?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Husse

Post by Husse »

Once in a while I click
View new posts
and go through them - that's part of the moderator part of my job :)
funky_uncle

Post by funky_uncle »

67GTA wrote:Good eye Husse. I didn't catch that. That will probably cause all sorts of problems since the OS was setup with FF3. Are you not able to use FF3?
I can't add my favourite extensions to FF3 and I don't like the feel of it and there was nothing wrong with FF2. I'm puzzled as to why Ubuntu and Mint have chosen to add a new beta version of a perfectly good browser.

Anyway, I reinstalled FF3 in order to get to use Java, but it didn't work now :/

FF2 runs perfectly except for the Java part though.

(Oh, and another thing - the Software Portal doesn't work now, probably because I uninstalled FF3...)
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

funky_uncle wrote:I'm puzzled as to why Ubuntu and Mint have chosen to add a new beta version of a perfectly good browser.
Actually I can answer that. There is a logical reason. The decision was made by Mark Shuttleworth and the Ubuntu team. Since Mint is based on Ubuntu we get it too. According to what I've read the Ubuntu team decided to go with Firefox 3 Beta 5 because Hardy Heron (and therefore Elyssa for us Mint users) is a Long Term Service release, meaning they are going to be supporting it for 3 years. They didn't want to miss Firefox 3 by a couple of months, and then support Firefox 2 for three more years. Instead the final version will get pushed through the update channel. And indeed we have already got our first update. I just updated via MintUpdate to Firefox 3 RC1 yesterday.

Return to “Software & Applications”