Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Post by deadguy »

Clem,

the flash work around worked great for me!

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Working here too after removing Adobe version.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

But the Swedish localization didn't install though... :cry:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Can you please include gnome-bluetooth in the next beta. This is a core feature of any notebook... Many beginner users will have a hard time installing it.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Yes RC1 is better than the beta in Mint 5. However, did you try what Clem suggested here?
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

PhoenixPenguin wrote:I just converted my desktop to Mint 5 from XP.
now i am noticing Firefox3 crashing almost once a day without even a warning.
i don't remember Firefox3 beta crashing on me when i had it on my XP, and i am using Firefox3 RC1 on my Vista laptop and it doesn't crash.
does anyone know what the problem could be?
When I'm viewing anything that has to do with flash, it crashes like crazy. It is a lot worse than the beta. Every third or fourth video on youtube will crash it. It will eventually get ironed out. Mint 5 and Firefox 3 are still under development :D
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Clem,

I was talking about this recently with some of the other guys, and I wanted to make sure I it was listed here in the Beta thread along with a picture. Daryna/Gutsy had a menu entry that brought up this Display Settings GUI, which is great for making changes. Unfortunately it is now missing in Elyssa/Hardy. The actual functionality is still there if you type "gksudo displayconfig-gtk" in the CLI, but the menu entry was really nice to have. I added it back in myself, but it would be nice if it was included in the Elyssa final release.
AshtonBRSC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AshtonBRSC »

Another vote for gnome-bluetooth to be included. Bluetooth works out of the box with Hardy but not with Elyssa.
7even
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 7even »

Russian localization didn't install though today's upgrade FF 3 RC1. Flash-plugin also didn't work. I got installed it manually
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasonwatkins »

7even wrote: I got installed it manually
how did you manage that because I've been trying to re-install it and do it manually with no luck.

cheers
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

displayconfig-gtk is not stable and doesn't work as well as the Gnome "Screen Resolution" tool. On some of my systems it freezes up the OS..

Bluetooth was included in Mint in BETA 034 so it will be there in the next public release... speaking of which BETA 048 is currently uploading. If Exploder is happy with it we'll release it as soon as possible.

Also, mintAssistant 2.4 is now in the repositories and fixes the "user locked" problem with "sudo su". Just upgrade it and run it.

Clem.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

jasonwatkins wrote:
7even wrote: I got installed it manually
how did you manage that because I've been trying to re-install it and do it manually with no luck.

cheers
I uninstalled via terminal, installed it via terminal and then installed via Firefox. Mind you, Youtube now crashes Firefox after watching a few videos for some reason.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

BTW, just to give you an idea of how popular Mint has become, I downloaded the Beta with 65,000 peers on BitTorrent.
tuxStyle@

Post by tuxStyle@ »

I hope drivers for Broadcom chipset bcm43xx will be in latest beta or stable version.
Is a nightmare to make wireless working on my Dell Vostro 1500.

And somebody else asked why i don't want to make a clean install.
Because i have a Dell Vostro :) and lot of things are not working by default:

- Sound problems
- CPU fans
- Wireless
- Compiz
- Bightness keys
- more (i had small issues with: hal and webcam too)

After every reinstall i need a few days to make everything work again :?

I don't remember
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

ominousluv wrote:
clem wrote:displayconfig-gtk is not stable and doesn't work as well as the Gnome "Screen Resolution" tool. On some of my systems it freezes up the OS..

Clem.
But with "Screen Resolution", you can't change your display driver. Is there a way to change graphics driver another way, without adding driver information to xorg.conf?
You can use EnvyNG to change the graphics driver. It is located in the menu under Administration.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
thomase
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thomase »

Monkwarrior wrote:
hotweiss wrote:Mind you, Youtube now crashes Firefox after watching a few videos for some reason.
For me too.

Monk.
And me. Problem maybe flash player, reloaded Flash Player 9, now seems to be ok. other issues with viewing pictures though I am still investigating.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

clem wrote:displayconfig-gtk is not stable and doesn't work as well as the Gnome "Screen Resolution" tool. On some of my systems it freezes up the OS.
Clem is this the "Gnome Screen Resolution Tool" you are referencing, or is there yet another tool that I am not seeing? This GUI lacks many of the features of "displayconfig-gtk", such as having a list of monitors to choose from. Unfortunately for me the "Detect Displays" button was non-functional on my system. I had to use "displayconfig-gtk" to get things right. While I would vote to have both in the menu, you are certainly the boss. I am hoping that although you are removing it from the menu that it will still be available in the final release via the CLI.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

...downloading Beta 048... 8) 8) 8)
CREA DIEM!

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

BETA 048 is out!

Post by Zwopper »

So far no flaws in 0.48!
It looks better (aurora engine installed), responds snappier - good job as usual by the Linux Mint team!
Lots of nice artwork from the community's most talented artists included!
I fail to see how this version can be improved upon till the final release. - Rock solid, nice looks!
Last edited by Zwopper on Mon May 26, 2008 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
CREA DIEM!

jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasonwatkins »

what is confusing me is that in synaptic, it says that i have flashplayer-nonfree, flashplugin-nonfree and libflashsupport all installed.

if i navigate to a site that needs the flash plugin, i get the "install missing plugin button" so i click it. it goes through the installation process, i restart firefox and it still tells me that i need to install the missing plugin.

so i tried installing the RPM file from the adobe website, and get this error ..
error: Failed dependencies:
/bin/sh is needed by adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch
so i tried downloading and unpacking the tar.gz version and running the flashplayer_install script, and when it asks for a valid installation path - e.g. /usr/lib/mozilla, it ignores whatever i enter.

if i enter /usr/lib/mozilla or /usr/lib/firefox it just keeps asking me for a valid installation path.

so i'm stuck !

i really have no clue other than maybe to un-install the flash stuff through synaptic and try it that way

*edit

as it seems beta 048 is out, would it be an easier solution to just re-format and do a clean install of that instead?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”