Linux Mint Joins the OpenDesktop.org Community

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
McLovin

Linux Mint Joins the OpenDesktop.org Community

Post by McLovin »

Ladies and gentleman, I am pleased to announce that Linux Mint has joined the OpenDesktop.org community!

I have been working with Frank, the head developer of OpenDesktop.org to create a new home for all of Linux Mint's artwork, and am pleased to announce that it is up and running, and ready for content. Linux Mint is now part of the OpenDesktop.org community, the same community that houses Gnome-Look.org, KDE-Look.org, Debian-Art.org etc.

What does this mean for Linux Mint? It means that Linux Mint will be getting much more exposure, and joining a huge, and growing, community. This will help to both promote, and further the development of, Linux Mint. It will also give users a place to post all kinds of artwork, everything from wallpapers, and themes, to icons, and add-ons to the Mint desktop, all in a very familiar interface, and web layout.

So please go to the new site, register, and start posting, and downloading artwork for you Mint machine.

And now, without further a due, the link.......
http://www.linuxmint-art.org/ Bookmark it!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint Joins the OpenDesktop.org Community

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

did Clem put the OK on this? just curious.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Nice! This is a really good thing for LinuxMint!

If you are registered at gnome-look, kde-look, etc, you already have your user name and password.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Great job McLovin!
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

@ GrayWizardLinux, Yes, I have been talking with Clem about this for a while now, it has been in the works for a few weeks, and I was just talking to Clem about this the other day and said that I was going to make a global announcement when it was finished, and he said that was a good idea.

@ exploder, Thank you, I can't take all the credit for the design, that was done by Frank from OD.org, the CMS is his own code, but I had to go back and forth with him to get everything ready and set-up to go, get all the logos, colors, etc. This is what has been taking all my time as of late, and why my presence on the forums has been a little off. Both Clem and I agree with you that this is going be a great thing for Mint, we have been pretty excited about it, (or at least I have, but Clem seemed to be as well)

And exploder is also correct in that if you are registered at any of the *-look.org, or *-art.org sites within the opendesktop.org community, then you will be able to use the same account on linuxmint-art.org
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

This is awesome! I have always thought the Mint community had some of the best artists. This will be sure to catch some eyes.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
AlabamaHit

Post by AlabamaHit »

Isn't the exact same as gnomeart.........Cause those themes on the new site are the exact same as there..............Im confussed......
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

They are all interconnected, gnome-look.org, kde-look.org, etc. Gnome art is a separate site. The importance of this is that we have a new dedicated site for Mint art that everyone will see. More of the art we have should eventually make it's way there.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
AlabamaHit

Post by AlabamaHit »

I understand that.....if it where independent...It looks just like them...And has the Exact same stuff on it.....Exact.....This (just my opinon) Would look bad like a copy...If I'm mistaken sorry....

And No Offense to anyone....None of these post are ment in a negative way at all.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

None taken. The site was just started. It will share a lot of the stuff from the other sites, but will eventually get more Minty when the community starts putting their stuff on there. It was the same with ubuntu-look.org. Then once it got started, the community started contributing their own stuff to the site.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Alot of the content within the community sites are all interconnected, meaning, alot of the content is shared between all the sites, but if you look through the different categories, you will notice that there is alot of stuff that will be exclusive to the linuxmint-art.org site, things like wallpapers, GDMs, KDMs, bootspashes, icons, logos, etc. will only be on the linuxmint-art.org site. GTK and QT themes are shared between all the sites.

I don't belive ppl would see it as a copy, and this is the reason. The *-look.org, and *-art.org sites, are all hosted by the same server, opendesktop.org, and you pretty much have to be invited into the community, to get one these community sites. And that also means that this is not an independent site, it is part of the opendesktop.org community, as the first post in this announcement states, we have joined the community, and made our own community that much larger. The CMS (content management system) used in all of these sites is written, and maintained by Frank, the creator of the entire od.org community. I contacted him asking about the CMS he uses, and he took a look at our community, and then informed me that the whole system is custom written by him, but he offered us a community site within od.org, which in my opinion. is a great honor, as this is one the biggest opensource communities on the web. This is going to bring Mint up to the level of Debian, Gentoo, Suse, and all the other huge name distros, and really help to further the Mint OS, and community as a whole.

I can see where one may confused, not everyone knows that these sites are all part of one large community host. But just being a part of the community, makes ppl take a closer look at the distro, and become more interested in it, because it is put into the same level of respect as all the other big distros, and also to the level of Gnome, KDE, XFCE etc. So I believe that this really is something huge for Mint, not just a web site, but a way to further everything that everyone has worked so hard for.
AlabamaHit

Post by AlabamaHit »

Nope I sure didn't know that they where all connected. Thats cool...

Learn something new everyday...
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

McLovin I just thought I'd chime in here and say thanks for all the hard work you've put in to this. I'm impressed, and I'm sure your efforts will pay off for our whole community. 8)
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Great news, that's a big step forward for Mint! Nice work! :D
AlabamaHit

Post by AlabamaHit »

Yeah I can't wait either for some new stuff that is not on the other sites. I have seen some work from fellow "Minters" <--Thats funny..

But on the real. I have saw some work. There are some very good graphic and designers on here. Can't wait to see there work put together on a site made for us :mrgreen:
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

I'm glad to see that your long hard work on this matter was prosperous! 8)
Good job, very well done! :D
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Congratulations!

Now I can be proud to say “I joined before everybody knew about them”. Except it was already very popular when I tried it out... :o
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

This is fantastic! :)

Thanks for all your hard work McLovin.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I just say magnificent
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

The R E A L L Y boring part will be to move 246 items from Deviantart... :cry: :| :( :shock: :?
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Return to “Releases & Announcements”