REISUB Rider (<-BUSIER)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Tejas_0

REISUB Rider (<-BUSIER)

Post by Tejas_0 »

austin.texas wrote:TIP: a "hard reboot" is not a good thing. You can try the REISUB method. Hold the ALT and PRINT SCREEN keys down, and enter REISUB on the keyboard. Pause after entering each letter to give the computer time to compute. I remember REISUB as "Reboot Even If System Utterly Borked".
Have no idea where to put this little snippet of information, as it's not really a question, but an answer as to why REISUB sometimes doesn't work. Have not had to deal with this situation in Mint before, but under Petra have had blank, black and pretty coloured screens happen all too often.

On other distros one just holds down Alt+SysRq keys with the right hand, while typing with the left. But here the order in which this is done matters. After a bit of web trawling and trying to REISUB with nothing happening, was able to confirm that screenshots were being taken instead. It is imperative that the Alt key is depressed before pressing the SysRq/Print Scrn key, in order to have a chance of a clean reboot.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: REISUB Rider (<-BUSIER)

Post by xenopeek »

Though it might not seem obvious, that is the case for all keyboard shortcuts that have a modifier key (e.g., alt, meta, ctrl, shift, super). You always have to depress the modifier key(s) first.
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Re: REISUB Rider (<-BUSIER)

Post by RobertLM78 »

This is good to know; I hope it helps - I've been having some nasty freeze-ups lately.
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE

Return to “Tutorials”