Linux Mint Joins the OpenDesktop.org Community

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint Joins the OpenDesktop.org Community

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Great! I just saw one or two posts recently where people said stuff about Mint or versions or whatever and Clem was not fully behind the statements or else it was not cleared by him; I was just concerned that it was not a renegade Minty doing their own thing under the guise of this formal Distro. Mint is a really nice Linux distro and I support it 100% as such. ........

I can think of 2 specific cases recently - one of which i am not going to bring up and the other was something about some mint creation/design team or some such. I would have to research the exact thing; hence my question.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I know exactly what things you are talking about, and that is why I did not even talk about what was being done until it was ready. I run everything by Clem before I make any decisions on anything that will involve the Mint name. I'm no renegade, I'm not a sheep, but I don't go off all willie nilie either.

And thank you to everybody for your excitement about htis, I think this is going to be great thing for the entire community.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

This is a great step forward for the Mint Art team, and a great step forward for Mint as well. Seeing Mint grow in all these new ways really warms my heart.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Just a heads up. Some individuals have been voting "bad" on the Mint artwork. This has happened to me before and yet the artwork may have been downloaded hundreds of times. I am just guessing that some wish that their distribution of choice had as many talented artist's as we have here.

I voted "good" on everything that had been voted down. I like the artwork here and all of the hard working artist's!
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I'll try to keep on that, but to perfectly honest, there's not too much I can really do about ppl voting bad on things, I wish there was, but this is just how some ppl chose to behave, I guess when your talent is limited, you have to find ways to make other feel like crap as well.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

I've added some of my favourite wallpapers to the 'Mint Wallpapers' section. :)

I could link directly to the .rar files already uploaded at deviantART, which meant that I only needed to upload preview images - making the whole process much less time consuming than I thought it would be. 8)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks to McLovin for this and to OpenDesktop.org as well. This is excellent news and I hope it will make artists produce even more great artwork and users be able to access it in an easier way.

Anyway, it's my time to give you some good news:

- On the website, "Community->Artwork" now points to linuxmint-art.org
- In Elyssa stable, a new "Artwork" bookmark will be there by default in Firefox (between the main site and the forums), and it will point there as well.
- The Elyssa user guide will mention this website as well.

Just an idea: The "wallpaper of the week" is a superb idea. I'd like it to move away from the forums and adopt another format. I'm not sure what would be best (blog, voting platform, something else...) but if it could let people vote without logging in (IP based), show the wallpapers in a nice and pleasing to the eye way, and have RSS so we could follow it right from the planet.. then it could really grow into something big. Also, I would separate the results from the votes, to let people have an overview of the results first and get into the votes if they were more interested. My 2 cents :)

Clem.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I am amazed to see how much artwork has been uploaded to the site! Thank you to all of the contributing Artist's in the community! You guy's are the best!
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

clem wrote:Just an idea: The "wallpaper of the week" is a superb idea. I'd like it to move away from the forums and adopt another format. I'm not sure what would be best (blog, voting platform, something else...) but if it could let people vote without logging in (IP based), show the wallpapers in a nice and pleasing to the eye way, and have RSS so we could follow it right from the planet.. then it could really grow into something big. Also, I would separate the results from the votes, to let people have an overview of the results first and get into the votes if they were more interested. My 2 cents :)
I'm really glad that people seem to be enjoying the 'Wallpaper of the Week' competition, as it makes the time I spend on it seem worthwhile.

I completely agree that there is room for improvement from the current forum based format. I like your ideas about moving it out to a separate website and developing the functionality around voting and informing of results. Web development isn't entirely outside of my skill-set, but unfortunately finding the time right now to commit to a project like this would be difficult.

This is where someone else from the community jumps in and says "I'm an awesome web developer and can knock together just the kind of website that you're looking for in next to no time!" ;)

Just in case that doesn't happen, I will see if I can find time to research some web templates or frameworks that may be able to give us the basis of what we're looking for. If anyone has any suggestions for this then feel free to point me in the right direction.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Isn't it possible to integrate the WOTM into linuxmint-art.org?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

MagnusB wrote:Isn't it possible to integrate the WOTM into linuxmint-art.org?
Shouldn't that be WOTW ?! :wink:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

It is in code, you have to read something upside down...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

MagnusB wrote:It is in code, you have to read something upside down...
Mistah Secret Agent! 8) 8) 8)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

MagnusB wrote:Isn't it possible to integrate the WOTM into linuxmint-art.org?
My first guess would be no, it won't be easy to integrate an advanced WOTW into linuxmint-art.org. This is because of how the opendesktop.org family of websites all share the same template, so adding complex functionality for the benefit of just one 'child' webiste might be asking a little too much.

Though McLovin is much better placed to answer this question than I am... and it's possible I'm completely wrong about this.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Actually you are completely correct, the code for the site is a custom code that is writen by the head dev for od.org, and all the sites use the same template, so to try to add a function such as this, would be very difficult, and as stated, probably asking a bit much, considering that we were offered the site free of charge.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”