Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Post by clem »

Hi,

The second (and last) release candidate for Linux Mint 5 Elyssa is out and available for download.

Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa.php
Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Bugs are to be reported here in this thread.

Changes since RC1 (BETA 032):

- Upgraded to Firefox 3.0 RC1
- Upgraded to Flash 10
- Added mintBackup
- Added gnome-do-plugin-rhythmbox gnome-do-plugins
- Added aurora gtk engine
- Changed the way gnome do is launched (to full mode, not mini)
- Fixes in mintupdated (apt update if cache update fails) and mintAssistant (locked root account, cowsay)
- Changes in /etc/apt/sources.list (Romeo is now a section, not a release)
- Increased compatibility with Ubuntu Hardy (about 130 packages changed to reflect changes made by Ubuntu between the time we forked Edgy to their current Hardy release)
- Improved file sharing (added samba libpam-smbpass and nautilus-share, made shares-admin visible in the menus)
- Added seahorse
- Improved en-US language support, spell checking in particular
- Added bogofilter
- Fixed "About me"
- Improved printing support and added new drivers
- Improved bash completion when used behing sudo
- Fixed shutdown usplash problem
- Added a lot of nice wallpapers from the community
- Little touches in compiz (grey caps, addition of compiz-check script)

Clem.
Andy Mack

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Post by Andy Mack »

Is this the same as the one people downloaded last night/this morning?

Thank the lord About Me is fixed, haha, just a little thing that I only checked once but good to see it sorted.

LED still does not work for iw3945, though problem is with driver itself not Mint for anyone wondering.

Noticed that when first booting and selecting whether fortune messages are shown, you don't need to move the mouse away to click close as before.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Whats the best way to install this? Clean install or will an upgrade work fine?
thxs
darco
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Clean install. This is only meant to be tested. Upgrades should only happen from Stable to Stable.

Clem.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

OK, i have found a bug. Can anyone confirm it by following these steps:

- open terminal
- type: sudo gconf-editor
- navigate to /apps/gnome-power-manager/locks
- disable lock_on_hibernate
- disable lock_on_suspend

After disabling password after suspend, I still get asked for my password. This bug was not present in Beta 32.
kelean
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelean »

Very nice! I have it installed and its running very well. So far I did not have problems with screen resolution as I did with beta 032. No problems with firefox and java playing together. It was nothing major just annoying.

I have found one problem, I tried to add a user which I did through the control center. After logout I could not login with new user. When I checked the new user was not listed.

Thats all for now, great job. The new wallpapers are very nice as well.

Kelean.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Is there any way we can get a torrent cranked up with BETA 048? That option is not currently available. If there is a torrent running, please advise of the URL.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

rivenought wrote:Is there any way we can get a torrent cranked up with BETA 048? That option is not currently available. If there is a torrent running, please advise of the URL.
What do you mean? Transmission is included...
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

hotweiss,
Sorry for the wording, I meant a torrent to download the BETA 048. That download page says Torrent: Not Available. I have much better results downloading from a torrent than a regular download. Such as already today, I have had three download failures. I never have those problems with a torrent. I have already used transmission several times in the past two weeks with flawless results.
ciscomint

Post by ciscomint »

Hi,
Upon partitioning, gparted reports "ubuntu" in the partition where LM4 is installed. It is not that important; but I guess it should be tagged as LinuxMint.

To the torrent crowd, I hope to be seeding in a few minutes.
madjr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by madjr »

clem wrote:
Bugs are to be reported here in this thread.

Changes since RC1 (BETA 032):

- Upgraded to Firefox 3.0 RC1
- Upgraded to Flash 10
just wanted to mention that flash 10 is a beta

it has some bugs, i had a few problems with it and some flash games didn't work.

will an update be available when 10 final is out?
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

I have another bug to report. After watching a couple of Youtube videos, Firefox will crash.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

I've been using BETA 048 as a live CD for a short time and have some initial comments...

Upon first booting into the desktop I received the following error message dialog:

Code: Select all

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
The same error occurred for me with BETA 032 and may explain the problems that I have with switching themes, where the window bar doesn't always update its colour to that of the newly selected theme.

I have the same mintMenu issue that I had with BETA 032, namely that if you 'hide' all of the panels (Applications, Places & System) into the sidepane and then click twice on the 'lock sidepane' button then the whole menu disappears (leaving you only a thin strip that cannot be interacted with) and it can only be retrieved by right-clicking on the menu button and selecting 'Reload Plugins'. I think that this needs to be fixed before shipping the final version of Elyssa, as it would almost certainly be a 'deal breaker' for any newcomer to Linux.

Another mintMenu bug is that when you have panels 'hidden' in the sidepane and you right-click on the menu button and select 'Reload Plugins' then any 'panel buttons' in the sidepane are duplicated (multiple Application, Places and Tools buttons can appear). The original buttons become non-functioning; clicking them only causes them to disappear and does not bring the panel back as you might expect. Only the duplicated buttons at the bottom of the list function as expected. This is certainly not a show-stopper, but would be a nice-to-have fix.

It's fantastic that there's now a selection of wallpapers included in the release, and I'm truly honored that several of mine were selected :oops: :D ... but in my opinion the quality has been sacrificed a little too much in the name of file-size. The JPEG artifacts look unsightly and diminish the quality of the wallpapers to a point where they start to look really quite poor ('Swoosh' is a particularly bad example, but they're all affected).

I understand that space is at a premium on the CD, so reducing file-size from the original PNGs is a must. But I think that you might be able to squeeze some more quality out of the file-size restrictions you have (or perhaps ship with fewer wallpapers, so that you can increase the quality of those that are shipped).

Other than these few comments though BETA 048 is looking fantastic - I can't wait for the release! :D
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Running the Live Cd off my Toshiba Satellite and no issues to report. Using WPA2 Personal TKIP and connects just fine. Where does one find which version of Mint is running? Typically I would check in System Monitor but it does not show which Beta is running, just says Mint. I know, not important but...
I do wish that I could upgrade to Final w/o having to reinstall but I know thats not possible :cry:
thxs, great job

darco
Speed Demon *

Post by Speed Demon * »

You never know it may be possible i am still waiting on an ANSWER. Nobody has replied to my post on PG1
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I've been using BETA 048 as a live CD for a short time and have some initial comments...

Upon first booting into the desktop I received the following error message dialog:

Code: Select all
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
This happens with the Live CD, the problem is gone in the installed system.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I had some problems when I installed the beta on my main computer. This is NOT the recommended way of fixing things! I must stress that this is a "Use at your own risk.) solution. Your results may vary! You have been warned.

Problems

001- Network Manager errors at shut down and restart.
002- One residual config file left by the installer. (This is because of the changes Ubuntu made to the installer, language selection built into the installer.)
003- Old linux-ubuntu-modules could not be removed in Synaptic.

Fixes

001- Installed all safe updates, problem still present. Edited the sources list and enabled the Hardy Proposed repository. Installed all updates. This completely resolved the issue and shut down and re-start are much quicker now.
002- Simply removed with Synaptic.
003- Using Nautilus as root, I did a search for linux-ubuntu-modules and simply deleted the old ones. Next I selected the old package in Synaptic and removed it.

Misc Fixes

- I removed the original kernel packages, starting with the linux-ubuntu-modules. (Very important) and simply removed the remaining parts of the original kernel.
- Unchecked the security options in Firefox. (This is a known work around to help keep Firefox from freezing up.) This fix sounds worse than it really is and is temporary until Mozilla releases an updated version.

You may not want to install the updated kernel. Do not try this on a system that has critical data on it! If you are unsure at all about these fixes do not attempt them. My results were very positive.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Camera import points to F-spot-import - which isn't installed (THANK GOD AND CLEM!) :D
Easily resolved by installing gthumb and chosing it in "removable devices".

Please do NOT include F-Spot, keep the good ol' gthumb! :idea: :idea: :idea:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
jman88888

Post by jman88888 »

I was going to download and test it out but I think Flash 10 beta is a horrible idea. In the short span of one day I found that cbs wouldn't go full screen and the bbc videos wouldn't play. Why was this included?
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

exploder wrote:I had some problems when I installed the beta on my main computer. This is NOT the recommended way of fixing things! I must stress that this is a "Use at your own risk.) solution. Your results may vary! You have been warned.

Problems

001- Network Manager errors at shut down and restart.
002- One residual config file left by the installer. (This is because of the changes Ubuntu made to the installer, language selection built into the installer.)
003- Old linux-ubuntu-modules could not be removed in Synaptic.

Fixes

001- Installed all safe updates, problem still present. Edited the sources list and enabled the Hardy Proposed repository. Installed all updates. This completely resolved the issue and shut down and re-start are much quicker now.
002- Simply removed with Synaptic.
003- Using Nautilus as root, I did a search for linux-ubuntu-modules and simply deleted the old ones. Next I selected the old package in Synaptic and removed it.

Misc Fixes

- I removed the original kernel packages, starting with the linux-ubuntu-modules. (Very important) and simply removed the remaining parts of the original kernel.
- Unchecked the security options in Firefox. (This is a known work around to help keep Firefox from freezing up.) This fix sounds worse than it really is and is temporary until Mozilla releases an updated version.

You may not want to install the updated kernel. Do not try this on a system that has critical data on it! If you are unsure at all about these fixes do not attempt them. My results were very positive.
Thanks. I had that network manager error during shut down also. Thanks for the fix.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”