Folder Sharing(SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
afab4

Folder Sharing(SOLVED)

Post by afab4 »

Downloaded Mint 16 Xfce and neither live or installed exists a way to share folders as in Mint 15 Xfce. Bad download or is this a bug?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Folder Sharing

Post by altair4 »

"Folder Sharing" between local login users on the same box?

"Folder Sharing" with other boxes on you local network?

There hasn't been a way to create a samba share in Thunar for quite some time.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
afab4

Post by afab4 »

No, it's not in Thunar.
In Menu-->Settings-->Shared Folders
It's the GUI that lets you share folders across your home network. It is right here in my live Mint 15 Xfce. It is not here in Mint 16 Xfce.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

EDIT: Although the following procedure will install the "Shared Folders" utility it has a bug in it. Please see my next post below.

You are correct. It is missing.

This will take a little work I'm afraid:

[1] Install the following package:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools
[2] Edit a file so it shows up in the menu:

gksu gedit /usr/share/applications/shares.desktop
Then change this line:
NoDisplay=true
To this:
NoDisplay=false
[3] Logout and Login again and it should be at Menu > Settings > Shared Folders
Last edited by altair4 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Well, I found out why it's not in the Menu. It has a bug - and a very big one.

I tried to share my Documents folder and instead it shared the parent folder which is my entire home directory.

My recommendation is to install another Samba utility:

sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
This will automatically show up under Menu > Settings > Samba
afab4

Post by afab4 »

What I found is that the program that is missing here is actually part of Mate.
Install mate-polkit and also mate-system-tools and you are good to go. You can access the Shared Folders GUI and set up your shares.
Leaving them out of this release was a major blunder in my opinion.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Folder Sharing(SOLVED)

Post by altair4 »

mate-system-tools creates a "Shared Folders" with the exact same bug as gnome-system-tools.

If I create a share of /home/altair/Documents it shares /home/altair instead.

Really, the only advantage to installing either is that now you have "Users and Groups" which was totally missing from the Menu as well.
afab4

Post by afab4 »

I don't know how you are getting your error but the sharing is working fine for me. I just accessed my Mint 16 shared folders from my other computer downstairs and the only folders that show up are the two I shared.
When you are using the GUI, and press the "ADD" and then select your "PATH", make sure you select "OTHER" or you will wind up sharing your entire home directory.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I think I've got it now.

I was drilling down to /home/altair then highlighting Documents and clicking open. I got this:
SharedFolders1.png
Since the Path says Documents I naturally assumed it would share my documents folder and all I had to do is correct the name. But instead it shared /home/altair which I verified by looking at /etc/samba/smb.conf. That's why I called it a bug.

You have to drill down to /home/altair then double click Documents. Then you get this:
SharedFolders2.png
That shares the correct Folder.

So the trick is if the path doesn't equal the name you are not sharing what you think you are sharing. You have to admit that is a rather odd user interface :wink:

In any event sorry for the confusion. I'm used to either editing smb.conf directly, using system-config-samba, Or when in XFCE doing it through Thunar using this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=88255

Return to “Xfce”