Add Wacom Tablet for Cinnamon 2.0

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
samriggs

Add Wacom Tablet for Cinnamon 2.0

Post by samriggs »

It came to my attention that "Huston we have a problem" with the wacom tablets and cinnamon 2.0
we tablet users used the gnome gui for wacom tablets under the gnome control center as a work around for it to work easily but supposedly that doesn't work now either, so it has become a dilemma for pen tablet users and put us between a rock and a hard place, do we keep cinnamon, the DE we all love, and not use our tablets for work or go to another DE that has it working, unfortunately it'll be the later for us that uses it for work.
So my suggestion is to add this to cinnamon so we can use our tablets with a good gui that is easy to use.
KDE has a nice gui for tablets as you can see here: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=114856
something similar or at least like the gnome center gui would be a bonus and at least make it useable for us.
I am on lmde right now and still using cinnamon 1.8 but once it comes down the pipe line I'm out of luck for using my tablet (which I need for my work).
I'll be switching over to KDE until this gets resolved as I know cinnamon 2.0 is soon coming down the pipelines and I'll have to install it anyhow so I can work.
I'll be on solydk until then, which came out of lmde anyhow.
Hopefully it'll be resolved with a nice gui :D
Kind of sucks I got my desktop 90% finished the way I wanted it too :(
Sam
calhaus

Re: Add Wacom Tablet for Cinnamon 2.0

Post by calhaus »

+1 please,

One of the reasons i changed from mint 13 to 16 was because the cinamon 2.0 update broke most of my settings. I was hopping i could get a functional wacom control center on cinnamon or maybe the gnome one working here. :/ I'm left handed and the only solution i have found to myself was to make a menu item with the rotate half comand, the problem is that i have to use it every time i connect my tablet and it's pretty annoying. Hope we get a Wacom control center pretty soon.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Ya I couldn't wait for this happen, I know it's comming down the pipelines for me on lmde and it's only a matter of one update before I lost the ability to use my tablet, so I switched to solydk instead, I thought it might get in the way of me working with the extra eyecandy and add ons, but it surprised me, I actually like kde quite a bit, so I'll be staying with it by the looks of it, plus hopefully I'll never have to worry about loosing the ability to use my tablet again, as long as they keep up with it.
Plus solydk has the rolling release instead which I prefer and it came from lmde kde version, so it's all good for me now plus krita is native for kde another added bonus for me.
Sam
dee.

Post by dee. »

I talked about this with Clem in IRC back before 2.0 was released. I was asking if they would consider porting the Gnome wacom app to Cinnamon, they seemed reluctant to do this however.

Apparently the issue with that was that "they don't want configuration apps for branded products", so the problem here is the name of the configuration app, "Wacom tablet". I tried to explain that the wacom configuration app is named that because of the name of the driver is Wacom, and it works for other tablets as well, I don't know if anything came of that.

The overall impression I got was that "graphics tablets are not a priority for Cinnamon". It's kind of sad, I really like Cinnamon, but it might be that I'm going to have to move away from it, seeing as I really need my tablet. I'll wait until the next LTS to see if the issue is solved, then I'll move to KDE or something if it isn't.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

dee. wrote:I talked about this with Clem in IRC back before 2.0 was released. I was asking if they would consider porting the Gnome wacom app to Cinnamon, they seemed reluctant to do this however.

Apparently the issue with that was that "they don't want configuration apps for branded products", so the problem here is the name of the configuration app, "Wacom tablet". I tried to explain that the wacom configuration app is named that because of the name of the driver is Wacom, and it works for other tablets as well, I don't know if anything came of that.

The overall impression I got was that "graphics tablets are not a priority for Cinnamon". It's kind of sad, I really like Cinnamon, but it might be that I'm going to have to move away from it, seeing as I really need my tablet. I'll wait until the next LTS to see if the issue is solved, then I'll move to KDE or something if it isn't.
Yup I left a message in two places about it with no response myself, so I figured it wasn't a priority and that it wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

I couldn't wait myself, I need my tablet now, I just got the thing and have been using it and now I need it because it cut down my art time by half using it.
I already switched over to solydk, for the rolling release and becuase I'd rather a debian base then a ubuntu base for obvious reasons.
Plus I just got the updated version of Krita with the last update :D

I thought KDE would get in my way of working but it hasn't at all and even though I love Cinnamon I doubt I'll be using it anymore now (without the ability to use my tablet it forced my hand)
I'm sure I could get the tablet working by writting a script and adding to the start up menu on cinnamon but why bother when it's already done on kde.
I could of gone back to xfce with solydx but krita is kde native so I went that route instead.

Dee if you want a rolling release for it try solydK, it used to be the lmde + kde before mint stop releasing it, all debian based (no ubuntu), updates come once a month, it used mint's software center also, so it basically lmde with kde and pretty solid so far me (excuse the pun).

The only thing I had to do was install the wacom driver from the software center as it doesn't come installed.
Here's a kde set up for wacom if you wanted to check it out http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=114856
dee.

Post by dee. »

samriggs wrote:Dee if you want a rolling release for it try solydK, it used to be the lmde
Nah, I prefer stable releases to rolling ones, I like the stability of LTS, don't want to be constantly fixing things, and don't need all the latest stuff on my main machine (and as for applications, which I want a latest version of, such as GIMP, I'll just compile them from source anyway).

Like you said, I can solve this issue with a script, so it's not like it'd be hard to whip up a python program with a GUI to give users the most elementary options they need to properly use wacom tablets. Personally, I'm going to stick with Cinnamon until the next LTS, if this isn't solved by then in one way or another, then I'll probably switch to another DE (or even another distro).
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

That's cool maybe use the link I gave you to the kde one, I'm sure a lot of lmde users or cinnamon 2 users would love a gui for mint.
I always used rolling releases so I don't have to constantly reinstall so I'm used to playing around with it.
Plus they got the kde version here also which should allow tablet use with a gui. I just don't like ubuntu personally and prefer debian which is one of the main reasons I started using lmde long ago but just got so used to it now I like it too much.
I hope you get it going :)
Sam
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Considering this is an idea for Cinnamon, please instead post a feature request on GitHub as per the forum rules at the top of this page. The Cinnamon developers come from many distros, not all using Linux Mint. So they don't visit here for things to work on, they do that on their GitHub project page. Same as KDE, MATE, and Xfce have their own page for submitting ideas to their developers. It sounds like this is something that should be worked on.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

xenopeek wrote:Considering this is an idea for Cinnamon, please instead post a feature request on GitHub as per the forum rules at the top of this page. The Cinnamon developers come from many distros, not all using Linux Mint. So they don't visit here for things to work on, they do that on their GitHub project page. Same as KDE, MATE, and Xfce have their own page for submitting ideas to their developers. It sounds like this is something that should be worked on.
already been done xenopeek and explained to us over at github, pretty much they weren't going to do it because of the name wacom, and nobody has a tablet that develops it, but we explained our point so they are looking into it and looking for testers once they get it done who OWN a tablet (tablet is a must for that test), they put it on the feature list now, but won't probably get it done until mint 17 sometime.
If you own a tablet and want to test this once they get it done it might be good to let mtwebster know it at the thread at github I started here
I switched to SolydK myself because I need my tablet plus I like it, but still have mint on the wife's computer and two other family members so I'm still kicking here :lol:
Plus there gui for tablet at kde is better then the gnome center one, I suggested mtwebster look at it, if there going to create a gui and script for it themselves, the kde one got everything working on my tablet pretty much where the gnome one had less.
dee.

Post by dee. »

Hm, I already mentioned on IRC that me and my intuos4 are available for testing if needed, and no one took up on that offer...
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Maybe not ready for it yet, or..............
I know you don't like the rolling releases but maybe the mint version of kde has what you need, it should have the drivers and the gui.
dee.

Post by dee. »

The cheapest wacom tablets are around $50, so maybe we could ask all mint-using artists to chip in to buy the developers a tablet to play with ;)
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

:lol: ya that might happen.
Maybe there aren't that many tablet users for them to worry about yet.
Got kritia 2.7.5 now, :D
solydk updated it for us all. Went and filled it with all the brushes that were made for 2.7
I do like the gui for wacom on kde a lot better then the gnome one though, only took me a couple to set up and I was up and running.
If they do make one from scratch I hope it's a take on the kde version rather then the gnome version.
Joaquim

Post by Joaquim »

I know that it might be too late for some of you, but mtwebster already started to add support for Wacom tablets on Cinnamon.

https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-s ... 48496d1b8e
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

yup to late for me but it has been added and mtwebster is looking for some testers, please if you use cinnamon 2 and have a tablet help out by testing the gui and drivers that mtwebster made for cinnamon, it is all explained here: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/12/c ... s-testing/
He moved quick on this one, so mucho kudo's goes out to mtwebster for this one, if I didn't like the OS I am on now I would switch back for this one and give it whirl.
Sam

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”