Screenshot - Photoshop CS2 running in Wine

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
austin1

Screenshot - Photoshop CS2 running in Wine

Post by austin1 »

Screenshot of CS2 running under Wine in Daryna XFCE...

I tried to install a well-proven crack for CS2 :twisted: but it failed :evil: - kept saying there wasn't enough disk space, which is nonsense. It probably had trouble trying to write the stealth entry onto the fake C: drive that tells subsequent installation attempts that you've already had your 30 days trial (or something like that).

So I only get 30 days. When it runs out, I'll uninstall and re-install Wine, and re-install CS2 to get another 30 days. The fake C: drive should be totally obliterated during uninstall/reinstall of Wine (I disabled access to Z: so the CS2 installer couldn't make a stealth entry on my HDD).

The image above appears cut-off in Firefox, so here's a link to it: http://oldexplorer.googlepages.com/daryna_cs2.jpg

CS2 is very slow to start, and is a bit slow once running, with some trivial dialog box obscuring issues. But basically it's very usable. I would rate it as comfortably Silver, but not quite gold.

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tithis

Re: Screenshot - Photoshop CS2 running in Wine

Post by Tithis »

I've never been able to get CS2 installed right. It will not let me use the text tool and then shortly after will just break and not let me use the program at all. Its not a big deal since I hate doing graphic work on my laptop.
austin1

Post by austin1 »

ed@Mint wrote:I'd suggest you to stop using (or trying to) cracked software and start using Gimp.
Yeah, you have to change a bit your habits, but using linux is about changing your habits from Windows, right ?
Yes, I actually agree with that, and would like to use Gimp. But it's not that simple:

The killer Windows app for me is Fireworks MX2004, because it exports sliced images as beautifully written HTML with image slices, and the original working FW png remains fully editable. Unfortunately MX2004 will not run in Wine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Gimp cannot do what Fireworks can. I wish it could. I've never actually used Photoshop until a couple of days ago - but I'm desperate for something I can use for slicing/HTML export without rebooting into Windows. It seems that CS2 is capable of doing that (although I may be wrong). I may end up going back to an older version of FW that runs successfully in Wine.

I can't afford to pay full price for CS2 just to find out if it will do what I want it to do - and a 30 day demo is never, ever enough to properly assess such a complex app. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass by using cracked software... it's really just about a reality check and avoiding wasting hundreds of $.

If only there was a native Linux app that could do what Fireworks does, and do it as well as Fireworks - I would actually be willing to pay for it. If I won the lottery I would say to the Linux world, here's $500,000 - go build me a Linux version of Fireworks that works as well and has the same features.

That aside, the only obstacle stopping me leaving Windows is the print cartridge alignment function which needs to be run every time a new cartridge is put in. I'm not aware of a way to do that in Linux, but again I'd be overjoyed if Linux could do that successfully.

==============================================
austin1

Post by austin1 »

ed@Mint wrote:I understand there are specific needs that can not yet be fulfilled by Linux.
In your case, the best solution is still dual-boot or (even better ?) a Windows VirtualBox.

Thoug i'm sure there exists some tool to achieve what you want, you should ask on some Gimp users forums.
Btw, image slicing and html table layouts are outdated and not standard compliant. :twisted: :wink:

Finally, on a personal opinion, i prefer to keep windows to run windows apps, rather to run windows apps inside Linux, but that's another subject...
Yes I'll continue to dual boot XP and Linux. I find CSS page layout massively difficult, to be honest - I also dare not ask about CSS on the CSS forums because the gurus will answer my question by flaming each other about the best methods to use... it all goes over my head... sigh... in the early days of HTML the home user could hand code HTML very successfully and create a good layout. The terrible complexity of CSS has now stopped the amateur hand coder from writing a nice layout in a text editor. CSS is for uber-gurus and ultra-geeks. I'll stick with tables until the browsers cannot display them any more lol...

I've just (last hour) obtained an old 30 day copy of Fireworks MX and tried it in Wine... works VERY well, and FAST! I rate it Gold. That will keep me happy. But I would not know who to buy a license from, even if it was actually possible to make the license/activation successfully work under Wine.

VirtualBox is fun, and I have used it a lot under PCLinuxOS. But a full XP install in VB uses a lot of disk space, and I only want to use one Windows program. Rather a waste of hard drive space (and I don't have much). So Wine is better in my situation. I just hate working in Windows - so claustrophobic and horrible!

***EDIT***

I just installed around 2,500 TTF fonts in Wine - just copy and paste into the fonts folder in drive_c/windows/fonts. Effortless, and gets around the issue of importing bulk TTF fonts into XFCE. Maybe I should run the Windows version of Scribus in Wine (if it works) - at least I get a big font gallery to play with...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

This is the Development part of the Forums really and you should post here http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=57
Looks like when the new layout was made this wasn't made obvious.

I have been using Inkscape and Gimp for anything I want to create.
I like the screencasts for Inkscape here http://screencasters.heathenx.org/page/6/
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Tue May 27, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

merlwiz79 wrote:This is the Development part of the Forums really and you should post here http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=57
Looks like when the new layout was made this wasn't made obvious.

I have been using Inkscape and Gimp for anything I want to create.
I like the screencasts for Inkscape here http://screencasters.heathenx.org/page/6/

You could crack it in windows and copy the files from windows into the wine folder.
Good and informative screencasts. :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Although it's no secret that cracked software exists please don't post about it in the forum.
I don't know if someone can hold us liable for promoting this if it's in the forum - stranger things have happened
However there is no link to a crack so I don't think some action is needed
But - all posts with links to cracked software that I discover will be deleted
austin1

Post by austin1 »

Husse wrote:Although it's no secret that cracked software exists please don't post about it in the forum.
I don't know if someone can hold us liable for promoting this if it's in the forum - stranger things have happened
However there is no link to a crack so I don't think some action is needed
But - all posts with links to cracked software that I discover will be deleted
Yes you're right, the board does need to stay very "clean". I accept that.

I've done more experimentation with Wine, and have designed a convenient way to use a genuine 30 day trial of Fireworks MX over and over again, with just 5 minutes work per month to re-activate the trial. This is a genuine 30 day full-function trial copy downloaded from pcworld.com. The problem on Windows boxes is that the VBox anti-piracy module used by Macromedia places a stealth entry on the HDD that is difficult to remove without a full re-install of the OS. But as Wine is a sandbox, it's simply a matter of overwriting the Wine directory structure with an untainted set of Wine components saved before installing the trial.

This is not a crack, but simply equivalent to reinstalling Windows and getting another 30 days trial. But it takes 5 minutes rather than 2+ hours.

Am I an annoying smart arse? Yes, for sure. But I'm also poor, so I'm unable to purchase expensive software. So I have to find a work-around, which is what this is. It's also perfectly legal.

The poor should not be shut out of using good apps.

/whine

================================================
rhvkl

Post by rhvkl »

austin1 wrote:Screenshot of CS2 running under Wine in Daryna XFCE...
I tried to install a well-proven crack for CS2 :twisted: but it failed :evil: - kept saying there wasn't enough disk space, which is nonsense. It probably had trouble trying to write the stealth entry onto the fake C: drive that tells subsequent installation attempts that you've already had your 30 days trial (or something like that). ...
I thought he / you meant a "lets also run in wine" not a "dont pay for this software" modification?
austin1 wrote:... Yes I'll continue to dual boot XP and Linux. ...

me, too. Not because I would need the little few things which Photoshop can handle and Krita & Gimp cant, it's just because in linux everything seems to be on it's own and I dont want to miss the Adobe® CreativeSuite worflow.

Well I have another question: I've got a licesene for a good catalog-archive software, rated gold+ in the wine app-db but there is an immense leg of performance compared to windows ... it's a small tool only, therefor I cant believe that working with Photoshop would be possible at all?

Return to “Xfce”