Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
hotweiss

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Post by hotweiss »

hotweiss wrote:OK, i have found a bug. Can anyone confirm it by following these steps:

- open terminal
- type: sudo gconf-editor
- navigate to /apps/gnome-power-manager/locks
- disable lock_on_hibernate
- disable lock_on_suspend

After disabling password after suspend, I still get asked for my password. This bug was not present in Beta 32.
Can someone confirm this error please.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I clean install is best. There were many changes made.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

CatastrophicToad wrote:
hotweiss wrote:
hotweiss wrote:OK, i have found a bug. Can anyone confirm it by following these steps:

- open terminal
- type: sudo gconf-editor
- navigate to /apps/gnome-power-manager/locks
- disable lock_on_hibernate
- disable lock_on_suspend

After disabling password after suspend, I still get asked for my password. This bug was not present in Beta 32.
Can someone confirm this error please.
After following your steps and suspending, it asked for a password to unlock. Confirmed.

Interestingly, after taking it out of suspend, I ran gconf-editor to make sure that the settings were still unchecked (they were still unchecked), and it did not ask me for a password for sudo. So it will ask for the password to come out of suspend when it is set not to, but will not ask for the password for sudo when it has been entered recently, after a suspend.
Thanks a lot. This bug did not exist in 032. I also tried commenting out LOCK_SCREEN=true in /etc/default/acpi-support, this didn't work either.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

jman88888 wrote:I was going to download and test it out but I think Flash 10 beta is a horrible idea. In the short span of one day I found that cbs wouldn't go full screen and the bbc videos wouldn't play. Why was this included?
Yes, Flash 10 is to buggy. All of my Firefox crashes have been related to Flash 10.
Knight 319

Post by Knight 319 »

Burned a fresh copy of Beta 048 to a CD. Booted up, tried out some of the different themes, and notice this while using some of the darker themes. Start menu is bright, and the text is hard to read unless you hover the mouse over one of the buttons.

Note: This is while being in the Live CD.

Knight 319

Post by Knight 319 »

Sorry, image didn't come out right. Here's the proper one.

Andy Mack

Post by Andy Mack »

Warning: Not loading Blacklisted IPV6 Module has been repeated over 200 times in the last hour in system log.

Not a bug just an irritant.
Onsager

Post by Onsager »

There is a problem with the Control Center. Using the dark themes, for example the peppermint, and choosing one of the groups, causes a little display glitch: the selected group appears with white background.
A screenshot can be found here: Image
Onsager

Post by Onsager »

Onsager wrote:There is a problem with the Control Center. Using the dark themes, for example the peppermint, and choosing one of the groups, causes a little display glitch: the selected group appears with white background.
A screenshot can be found here: Image
Sorry, once more:
http://www.mediafire.com/?njpw9m9nmfm
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

exploder wrote:
I've been using BETA 048 as a live CD for a short time and have some initial comments...

Upon first booting into the desktop I received the following error message dialog:

Code: Select all

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
This happens with the Live CD, the problem is gone in the installed system.
Thanks for the information exploder, it's great to know that this doesn't happen in the installed system. However, I think that being greeted into the desktop by an error dialog is a pretty awful first impression for someone booting Linux Mint for the first time from the live CD. It could be enough to put them off even attempting an install... so, if possible, I definitely think it's something worth fixing.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

One other suggestion. Why not add the trash can on the desktop by default? We all use it, why have it hidden?
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasonwatkins »

hotweiss wrote:
jman88888 wrote:I was going to download and test it out but I think Flash 10 beta is a horrible idea. In the short span of one day I found that cbs wouldn't go full screen and the bbc videos wouldn't play. Why was this included?
Yes, Flash 10 is to buggy. All of my Firefox crashes have been related to Flash 10.
i can't get any flash content to work now .. i guess it could mean going back to firefox 2 ??

but then at least I managed to get XMMS compiled and running in this release .. woohoo ..

other than that, no issues at all. been running it all day and it's great. haven't experienced any problems and it's pretty nippy as well.
jman88888

Post by jman88888 »

jasonwatkins wrote:
hotweiss wrote:
i can't get any flash content to work now .. i guess it could mean going back to firefox 2 ??

but then at least I managed to get XMMS compiled and running in this release .. woohoo ..

other than that, no issues at all. been running it all day and it's great. haven't experienced any problems and it's pretty nippy as well.
A better solution might be to try going back to flash 9.
AlabamaHit

Post by AlabamaHit »

Speed Demon wrote:Can someone PLEASE tell me this: can u upgrade from 032 to 048 then 048 to final? Or 032 to final? Please help me. I will have wasted a cd otherwise. And it was a green lightscribe disk too :(
JESUS man READ the TOPIC

NOoooooooooooooooooooo

DONTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

is this eaiser for you to notice? Since you dont like to read obviously...

SPEED DEMON <<--------------------

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I say it like this cuase it has been asked 4 times i know of and ANSWERED yes ANSWERED ALL TIMES ASKED......
trung

Post by trung »

I have downloaded it and used QEMU on Ubuntu 7.10 to verify.

Why It dont boot? It run for a moment, and stop when stop in bash command line

why?
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

can not connect wirelessly.

Daryna was great connecting but with beta 32 and beta 48 won't connect.

i use the 'hardware drivers' icon to get things rolling. i notice that 'in use' is already green (wasn't in Daryna) for Broadcom B43 wireless driver. I am connected with wire to the internet. I click the 'enabled' box and it starts the install and I download the file off the internet. says it's done and I close the box. my wireless light is on telling me the wireless is working (I have noticed that I can not turn this light (wireless) on and off as I did before with Daryna. I click the 'network manager' icon and i see my wireless network and several other networks too. I select my network (and I have even tried all the others). i enter the key after i change from passphrase to hex. I am using wep 128. I press ok and it looks like it is trying to connect. but doesn't. I see the two dots with the swirly thing going but nothing ever happens. the box pops up again asking me for the key again. I have triple verified that i am using the right key.

i have rebooted and still doesn't work.

>lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8385 [K8T800 AGP] Host Bridge (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI bridge [K8T800/K8T890 South]
00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller
00:0c.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 80)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
00:13.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]

>ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:25:10:f4:5a
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:19 Base address:0xc00

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:355 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:355 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:27105 (26.4 KB) TX bytes:27105 (26.4 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:90:96:a6:39:ce
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-90-96-A6-39-CE-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

>iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2346 B
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I am not sure what else to do?
thanks for your help.
TwoDogS.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Installed Beta 048. Lots of things that were issues from Beta 032 are fixed but still not able to get emerald to work. I can install emerald and open the program but after picking a theme and restarting unable to have theme work. The window decoration does not change to the emerald selected theme. If any is having same issue and knows of a fix please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

mmesantos1 wrote:Installed Beta 048. Lots of things that were issues from Beta 032 are fixed but still not able to get emerald to work. I can install emerald and open the program but after picking a theme and restarting unable to have theme work. The window decoration does not change to the emerald selected theme. If any is having same issue and knows of a fix please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help.
This is actually a bug in Emerald, not LM. an easy fix for this is to download fusion-icon. It's in the repos. You can use it to switch between window managers. It also helps to add it to sessions so that it starts automatically.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Zero Prime it is nice to see people post solutions to problems! Thank you!

Thanks to Clem for the massive amount of work that went into this release!

Also, thanks to Zwopper for the gthumb tip!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

exploder wrote:
I've been using BETA 048 as a live CD for a short time and have some initial comments...

Upon first booting into the desktop I received the following error message dialog:

Code: Select all

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
This happens with the Live CD, the problem is gone in the installed system.
I got this problem on the 1st beta.
I burned the iso to a different disc and their was no error on the livecd.
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Mon May 26, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”