Enabling the USB on Virtualbox Linux Mint 16 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fredhoud

Enabling the USB on Virtualbox Linux Mint 16 KDE

Post by fredhoud »

I just upgraded to Linux Mint 16 KDE, and installed Virtualbox, and cannot enable the USB. I did not have any problem doing this with Linux Mint 15 KDE. On Linux Mint 15 KDE though, first you had to go to the user and check the box for Virtualbox, in order for this to work. How ever, they have taken that option out on Linux Mint 16 KDE, and you cannot put a check mark on the Virtualbox or anything else. There must be another setting that I'm not aware of.

When you go to the settings, you see that the USB controller box is checked and enabled. Needless to say that I have already installed the Virtualbox extension pack. So when I start the Windows 7, and click on devices, you see that “no USB devices connected" (grayed out). Therefore, I think the problem is within the user interface, because you have no option of clicking on anything. As I mentioned this was no problem on Linux Mint 15 KDE, because you could go to the user and click on all kinds of settings and check the boxes you want. I also tried the latest version of Virtuabox 4.3.6 from Oracles website with the same result. The current version that I'm using is 4.3.0.
I am totally stuck. Any idea or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. :(

Thanks,
Fredhoud
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: Enabling the USB on Virtualbox Linux Mint 16 KDE

Post by usbtux »

To add user bob to supplementary group vboxusers use usermod command as follows :

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers bob

Change bob to your user name
fredhoud

Post by fredhoud »

It gives me this error message. sudo: usermode: command not found , when I type that command you mentioned. Any idea why they took the user and group option out of Linux Mint 16 KDE? This was available on Linux Mint 15 KDE.

Thanks,
Fredhoud
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

The command is usermod not usermode.
Just copy and paste the line usbtux wrote into your terminal and it will work.

Success.
fredhoud

Post by fredhoud »

Fantastic, that worked!! I'm still wondering as to why they took that option out of Linux Mint 16 KDE. As I mentioned before, this was available in Linux Mint 15 KDE.

Thanks again for that great tip!
Fredhoud
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

You can install the "kuser" package, it has a GUI to edit users and groups with.

I wonder why they remove features too, but I suspect that's a KDE issue rather than a Mint issue.
fredhoud

Post by fredhoud »

Hello Zalbor,

I installed the Liunx Mint 16 KDE on my older computer, along with the Virtualbox, and tried the Kuser, and worked flawlessly. This is good to know for future releases.

Thanks for that great tip.
Fredhoud

Return to “Software & Applications”