How to customize Mint-X GTK theme colours

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hexdef101

Re: How to customize Mint-X GTK theme colours

Post by hexdef101 »

Well then I shall have to make more.

meanwhile in Cupertino: a feeling of dread just passed over Timothy Cook, which caused much distress among the Dark Acolytes attending to their current master :lol:

also as soon as Deviantart sta.sh starts working I will upload the Whole Pack with install/use instructions
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Ok I will just post the change code here so that y'all can implement it yourselves. They are fairly simple changes anyway

create duplicate Minty folder named Minty-X

Cinnamon.Css
replace applicable entry with this (just the relevant change)

Code: Select all

#panel {
   background-color: transparent;
    spacing: 0px;
    border-style: solid;
    border-color: transparent;
    border-width: 0px;
    border-right-width: 1px;
    border-radius: 0px;
    border-image: url("panel.png") 1 1 1 1 / 1px 1px 1px 1px stretch;
    font-size: 10pt;
    font-weight: bold;
    height: 26px;
    padding: 0px;
}
add panel.png into cinnamon folder into Minty-X theme(get it here) http://hexdef101.deviantart.com/art/Panel-422246882

this is a useful mod to change any theme. just resize to fit width (if necessary)

download the Mac Os X Leopard Metacity theme here (its the one I used - change for other systems ) http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=153117

Modify Metacity-theme-1.xml as follows

<info>
  <name>Minty X</name>
  <author>hexdef101</author>
  <copyright>NULL</copyright>
  <date>25 dec 2013/date>
  <description>This is a Mod of the Mac Os X Leopard theme by psbarrales for the Minty X Theme By Brahim</description>
</info>

and 

<distance name="button_width" value="17"/>
  <distance name="button_height" value="17"/>

and

<draw_ops name="titlebar_gradient">
  <gradient type="vertical" x="0" y="0" width="width" height="top_height">
	<color value="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/1.10"/>
	<color value="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/1"/>
  </gradient>
</draw_ops>

replace entire metacity-1 folder with the one from that theme.

Download Gnome-Cupertino and or Gnome-Cupertino-Mint themes here http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=147061

move Minty-X (your mod) to the ~/.themes folder
move Gnome-Cupertino and/or Gnome-Cupertino-Mint to the ~/.themes folder
move original unchanged Minty theme to /usr/share/themes

Implement the Minty or Minty-X Cinnamon theme (depending on mood it seems to be irrelevant)
under themes/other settings

change gtk+ theme to Minty-X
Change Metacity theme to Minty-X (this should invoke the glitch-workaround... not sure its absolutely necessary though)
Change Metacity to Gnome-Cupertino or Gnome-Cupertino-Mint (I prefer Gnome Cupertino with this theme as the larger buttons look better) or scroll through your metacity themes to see which ones are green
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Hi hexdef101 -

I might have misunderstood the problem you outlined before .... or I've downloaded Brahim's latest Minty and Minty-V2 ....
but I just installed Minty and Minty-V2 in LM14 Cinnamon install and (for me) both Window themes seems to be working ok - no need for the edit :?:

It also works for me with the Minty and Minty-V2 gtk+ themes combined with Gnome-Cupertino-Mint and Mac Os Leopard Window themes too without the edit
in LM14 Cinnamon.

Brahim -
I have had no luck so far with trying to edit Minty-V2 metacity theme to look the same as Mint-X text color.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Interesting. Possibly a conflict with something else then...... either the or that cruddy Intel driver again.I suppose I could have an earlier version. Either way. Glad it works. Wasn't completely sure if the glitch itself was replicable anyway. Still If someone has trouble with it there is a handy fix ready made. And the Cinnamon part is necessary to convert the Minty theme to Minty-X, Though I would prefer that someone actually code it properly, as thats just a cut and paste job. It could be done with more.....elegance. Simple tweaks are about the limit of my ability in that dept I'm afraid.

Good news is I have had two adds for my screenshot using the Minty-X Mod on deviantart so far. I have posted pointer links to the original themes. Perhaps they will become popular. Maybe even being added to a future Version. Wouldn't mind working with you guys on other themes in the future, Though perhaps a Larger Package as I added very little to the mix on this one. Though If Brahim wants to include the wallpapers Mint Rising - no glitter and Mint Rising - Minty he can. Heck if he wants I will remake it with the official Logo as well, even though I usually don't do those.

Its just too bad that one cannot make a theme that is capable of having its color changed independently, Instead of having to have multiple color versions.
also wouldn't mind seeing a hybrid theme, a mix of Os X and Aero. The closest I've come is tweaking the Nord Theme by Zagortenay. Especially one using older elements instead of the newer stuff from apple, as they are becoming a little less original imho. And of course adding the Skeuomorphic Elements to cinnamon would be interesting as they are rapidly dropping them themselves, Making them a good element to add even without the theme. Probably not Possible under the current system though. Thats Why I yoinked the Rounded Panel, They dropped that after Tiger. I'm also especially fond of uniform gradients in themes so that both the window frame and the main body match.. No one in the major Os's Do that.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

The font color is controlled by cinnamon not metacity. I've moddified it before, but each theme is different. In the Nord theme its in the Cinnamon.Css

stage {
    font-family: Liberationsans,cantarell,sans-serif;
    font-size: 9pt;
        color: rgba(15,15,15,.5);
}
Add the rgba color line, and change its values to whatever you want. That should do it. I cannot find it in Mint-X as the version I have doesn't have cinnamon.css. Its controlled somewhere in the Gtk sections,or by another theme, so you will have to play around to get the colors right.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

So to edit Mint-X theme we need to edit the following:

1- in folder gtk-3.0 >gtk.css
change "@define-color bg_color #94BD4A; " to any colour we want

2- in folder gtk-3.0 > settings.ini
change nbg_color:#d6d6d6 to any colour we want

3-In folder gtk-2.0 > gtkrc
change nbg_color:#D6D6D6 to any colour we want

4- In folder gtk-2.0 > Bars
edit image files menubarbg.png and toolbarbg.png in gimp

5- in folder gtk-3.0 > apps > nemo.css
edit: NemoWindow .sidebar .view {
background-color: #3F3F3F;

6- In folder gtk-2.0 > Apps > Caja

edit image file toolbarbg.png

'm I missing something here :roll:
I
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I'm stuck again :( I made a new theme (Windows8 one I found the HEX code here http://www.creepyed.com/2012/09/windows ... -hex-code/ ) and I forgot how to change Firefox background Like last time! Get the new theme here http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=162512

nemo looks alright though

libreoffice looks like this :roll:

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

In an effort to contribute to this thread, and this effort, I created a theme called MintyGreen today and uploaded it to gnome-look.org
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=162513
Screenshots are there.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Brahim wrote:So to edit Mint-X theme we need to edit the following:

1- in folder gtk-3.0 >gtk.css
change "@define-color bg_color #94BD4A; " to any colour we want

2- in folder gtk-3.0 > settings.ini
change nbg_color:#d6d6d6 to any colour we want

3-In folder gtk-2.0 > gtkrc
change nbg_color:#D6D6D6 to any colour we want

4- In folder gtk-2.0 > Bars
edit image files menubarbg.png and toolbarbg.png in gimp

5- in folder gtk-3.0 > apps > nemo.css
edit: NemoWindow .sidebar .view {
background-color: #3F3F3F;

6- In folder gtk-2.0 > Apps > Caja

edit image file toolbarbg.png

'm I missing something here :roll:
I

If using a copy of the Mint-X theme, the first one on your list should have been @define-color bg_color #d6d6d6;
So don't know what you've done there - used a half-done theme, perhaps? The rest of the list looks right to do a very basic color change.
I'm stuck again :( I made a new theme (Windows8 one I found the HEX code here http://www.creepyed.com/2012/09/windows ... -hex-code/ ) and I forgot how to change Firefox background Like last time! Get the new theme here http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=162512
Have you fixed this? Because I downloaded this theme and it displays ok for me.
When editing the files, you need to logout/in to see any changes.
Last edited by caribriz on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Brahim not sure about gtk+ files, I do know that cinnamon.css controls The default fonts the system uses for things like the panel. Placing the font color there at the beginning sets that color as the default, unless specified somewhere else for individual parts. I know that "generally" if I change that entry I can change the panel font used by the menu ,clock,some other apps, and the Title font used by windows.

As to your themes, your getting better. They are coming along nicely.

Austin: Interesting variant, looks pretty good
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

austin.texas wrote:In an effort to contribute to this thread, and this effort, I created a theme called MintyGreen today and uploaded it to gnome-look.org
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=162513
Screenshots are there.
I downloaded your Minty-V3 theme.

I like the bg_color and that you changed the base_color to that very pale green. Nice :)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Thank you, caribriz

By the way, I included a changelog file in the theme, outlining the changes from Minty-V2
- but, of course, you have seen that, or you wouldn't be calling it Minty-V3... :wink:
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

austin.texas wrote:By the way, I included a changelog file in the theme, outlining the changes from Minty-V2
- but, of course, you have seen that, or you wouldn't be calling it Minty-V3... :wink:
Yes I did!
Including the changelog file is a good idea too.
Last edited by caribriz on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

I'd also just like to clear something up:

The blue themes I linked to with the tutorials, I have just left the default cinnamon theme as default Mint-X.
In the tutorials and current experiments I've only edited the gtk theme, not the cinnamon theme.

Including the cinnamon theme in the Mint-X theme folder is a very recent development.
I started doing the tutorials/themes in LM14 where the cinnamon theme was separate and you just used to choose a cinnamon theme separately.
I personally still do this in LM16.

I have "tweaked" a couple of cinnamon themes for my own use before, but didn't do it for the tutorial themes.

I have now edited some of my other posts in this thread to clarify this.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

hexdef101 wrote:Brahim not sure about gtk+ files, I do know that cinnamon.css controls The default fonts the system uses for things like the panel. Placing the font color there at the beginning sets that color as the default, unless specified somewhere else for individual parts. I know that "generally" if I change that entry I can change the panel font used by the menu ,clock,some other apps, and the Title font used by windows.

As to your themes, your getting better. They are coming along nicely.

Austin: Interesting variant, looks pretty good
I tried changing the fonts from the cinnamon .css hexdef101 but nothing happened :(
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

austin.texas wrote:Thank you, caribriz

By the way, I included a changelog file in the theme, outlining the changes from Minty-V2
Great work austin! I saw your work here http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=162513 5 stars from me :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

BUUUUUUUUUUMP guys! I'm really sorry but the problem is not with the GTK engine but it was GNOME colour chooser selecting a colour for me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I deleted that piece of junk and now I'm fine :D

The good news is that I made 3 more themes that you will like I guess:

Windows8_(orange): http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=162535

Windows8_(green): http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=162512

Metro-Pack: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=162539

Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

hexdef101 I think you can tweak Cinnamon themes better than me, so can you please upgrade this wood theme http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/235 to Cinnamon 2.0 and fix it for us:D

hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Depends: what changes are you looking for specifically. Some things I know, Some things I can Copy from other themes, And Sometimes I can even figure them out myself. But I definitely need a Changelist of Mods you think are necessary.

Oh and since I don't have 2.0 yet there may be some difficulty in upgrading to a higher version.
Last edited by hexdef101 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Ok looking at the change log Nothing much seems to be changed from 1.8. there are some additional sections to consider though.

Since 1.8...

.notification-button {
- border-radius: 18px;
- font-size: 11pt;
- padding: 4px 42px 5px;
+ border-radius: 5px;
+ padding: 4px 8px 5px;
 }
 .notification-button:focus {
- padding: 3px 41px 4px;
+ padding: 3px 8px 4px;
 }

+/* Snap/tile OSD popup */
+
+.snap-osd {
+ font-size: 18pt;
+ border-radius: 24px;
+ background-color: rgba(85, 85, 85, 0.9);
+ border: 2px solid #868686;
+ color: #babdb6;
+ padding-right: 20px;
+ padding-left: 20px;
+ padding-bottom: 20px;
+ padding-top: 20px;
+ text-align: center;
+}
Alot of the changes seem minor. Probably can do the corrections, but need someone with an updated system to actually test it

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”