How to customize Mint-X GTK theme colours

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to customize Mint-X GTK theme colours

Post by austin.texas »

The Western Saloon theme is great, Brahim, and it runs on Mint 13 Cinnamon and Mint 16 Cinnamon the same.
It was created prior to the release of Cinnamon 2.0, I believe. Right, Brahim?
The Wood Theme is fine in Mint 13 Cinnamon, but Mint 16 Cinnamon chokes on it.
The syslog produces about 25 lines of errors - all in gtk-widgets.css, like this:

Code: Select all

Dec 27 07:01:31 dan1 cinnamon-session[2395]: Gtk-WARNING: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:1551:19: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.
The first order of business would be to fix that. That gives you the location of the error - Line 1551, Column 19.
And then I can come up with a couple more changes. Primarily, it would be great to reconstruct the AWESOME dropdown menu in gtk2 programs, and transfer that same effect to the gtk3 programs. That is a tough nut to crack.
The menu items highlight in Western Saloon and in the gtk3 Wood Theme programs is very attractive, (great job, Brahim) but the menu items highlight in the gtk2 programs, like gedit, is the most beautiful menu I have ever seen, IMHO.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

looking at the old Precise version of gtk 3 - gtk.css and gtk-widgets.css. Nothing uses units, not one entry. From what I can tell Brahim is attempting to update this theme and port it to Cinnamon. DAnup seems to be the original author of the GTK theme... The Cinnamon theme is ours. I would suggest that If we are going to make this attempt. we start over and create a whole new theme based on the Concept. DAnup never updated this thing past Precise, which makes porting it far more difficult.

On to the Cinnamon version. On 14 I have noticed that the .menu-favorites-box - Dash.svg is hinky. it doesn't scale properly. does this also affect other systems ?

Also I like the addition of the Tux Mascot on menu's and such, but I would advise Updating the older image to the Tux-G2 Mascot, If you absolutely must have Tux.
That said there are scaling issues there. You cannot have the tux logo already on the menu background as you will have this issue perpetually. Not sure if you can overlay it though.

Menu Highlight : change that to an inset instead of a polish
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

tried modding western, crashed cinnamon :oops: :lol:
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

ok Decided to start on a completely new theme based on the Western Concept of Brahims. This is the Interface design in XCF format so that y'all can see how I made it with few pre-designed patterns. The entire interface with only a few exceptions is code at the moment.

New and hopefully Improved Western Theme Design

Edit: Should have Specified that this was intended as a redesign of Western, Not necessarily a New Theme by itself. I still think we need to at least try to redo the old Gtk theme of DAnibs. If thats a problem then Its not necessary I suppose.

Further edit: that mockup uses a similar orange colored wood. the one I am working up matches the rest of the wood. currently using an oak pattern Bg for everything.

Oh and is there a way to realistically keep that scrollbar from resizing, its playing havoc with the wood pattern on my Scrollbar
Last edited by hexdef101 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

That sounds like a wonderful (and very difficult) endeavor. I wish you the best of luck.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

I was hoping It could be a group project. I know jack about Gtk3 themes, and I ain't all that good at Cinnamon themes either. I'm a Graphics and Design guy. I can do some Modding of Cinnamon. I only redesigned Brahims Western theme so that It would look smoother, and my design is Morphing into a Polished Oak Theme the more I play with it.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I would enjoy helping to create a western wood theme. I have some minimal knowledge of gtk2 and gtk3. And I love the danup efforts. The danup Wood Theme does need to be updated. It has some beautiful features, but also some serious flaws.
My ability to manipulate graphics and integrate them into themes is less than zero. That means I have tried and failed more often than I have succeeded in those attempts. I see the effort to create a theme using graphics as a monumental task, that would take a long time to complete.
That is something that deserves it's own thread - or possibly our own "github" of some form. In fact, it would be very easy to set up a gmail account that everyone in the project has access to, which gives you access to Google Drive with 5 GB of cloud storage. Our very own project "github".
The obvious question is "Why not use github.com?". Well, because I don't have a clue as to how github.com works, and I understand gmail and Google Drive. And gmail includes social networking functions like chat and sms.
It is certainly a worthwhile challenge. I would enjoy contributing, but I wouldn't attempt it on my own.
Linux Linx 2018
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

hexdef101 wrote:ok Decided to start on a completely new theme based on the Western Concept of Brahims. This is the Interface design in XCF format so that y'all can see how I made it with few pre-designed patterns. The entire interface with only a few exceptions is code at the moment.

New and hopefully Improved Western Theme Design

Edit: Should have Specified that this was intended as a redesign of Western, Not necessarily a New Theme by itself. I still think we need to at least try to redo the old Gtk theme of DAnibs. If thats a problem then Its not necessary I suppose.

Further edit: that mockup uses a similar orange colored wood. the one I am working up matches the rest of the wood. currently using an oak pattern Bg for everything.

Oh and is there a way to realistically keep that scrollbar from resizing, its playing havoc with the wood pattern on my Scrollbar

woooooooooooow What a nice wood pattern man :shock: :shock: :shock:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Brahim,
The resizing problem is one of the things that has to be addressed. It happens with the panel, as well.
I believe that it probably has to do with trying to create a larger panel than the default.
Linux Linx 2018
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

austin.texas wrote:Brahim,
The resizing problem is one of the things that has to be addressed. It happens with the panel, as well.
I believe that it probably has to do with trying to create a larger panel than the default.
The panel section is the easiest try this theme I made with my friend here http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/253 and an easier one I made here http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/174

something like this :

#panel {
    color: #ffffff;
    border-image: url('panel-curved.svg') 5 5 5 5 stretch;
    font-size: 9pt;
    font-weight: normal;
    height: 25px;
    box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.86);
}
and change "panel.svg" to the name of your png or svg :D
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

austin.texas wrote:I would enjoy helping to create a western wood theme. I have some minimal knowledge of gtk2 and gtk3. And I love the danup efforts. The danup Wood Theme does need to be updated. It has some beautiful features, but also some serious flaws.
My ability to manipulate graphics and integrate them into themes is less than zero. That means I have tried and failed more often than I have succeeded in those attempts. I see the effort to create a theme using graphics as a monumental task, that would take a long time to complete.
That is something that deserves it's own thread - or possibly our own "github" of some form. In fact, it would be very easy to set up a gmail account that everyone in the project has access to, which gives you access to Google Drive with 5 GB of cloud storage. Our very own project "github".
The obvious question is "Why not use github.com?". Well, because I don't have a clue as to how github.com works, and I understand gmail and Google Drive. And gmail includes social networking functions like chat and sms.
It is certainly a worthwhile challenge. I would enjoy contributing, but I wouldn't attempt it on my own.

danup Wood that's a great GTK theme man :D It would be great if we can fork it :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

BTW I have suggested this https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2704 to the Mint development team :D But until they implement that we have to do our own themes :D

Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

BTW the esies way to go is to edit Mint-X Cinnamon theme! It is included by default on Mint 16 :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

BTW to edit Metacity font colours edit the following sections in gtk.css

selected_bg_color:#5598D7;
selected_fg_color:#EDE9E3"
or with this command line (change the colour values to your own)

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-color-scheme selected_bg_color:#5598D7;selected_fg_color:#EDE9E3"
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I have uploaded all the PNGs you need for your wood theme man here http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=162567

I have edited some features of Mint-X Cinnamon theme and below is the sample theme that you can complete :D
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

hmmm well ok.

This is all I've been able to cobble together so far. I've got to redo the Panel (two Versions - one windows based,the other mac).

If you all can post code to fix a few things it would be most appreciated.

This is Hacked from the OMG theme, With parts from Nord and Western

1. The Font Color - this would look better inset with highlights like the Sunset theme has http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/133

Menu and Popups. Not sure if this is the right section, but as you can see when I pull up the settings menu its not one piece (as it should be) need to remove that black background from it.

Menu's need to be moved down a bit so that they are separate and not touching the panel.

Edit: the Menu icon is Mint Aqua, its just the only one I could make to work with every theme. Would love to have an inset one though.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

As to forking the old DAnib wood theme. I don't see why not. Would prefer Wood Dragon http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=154055 though as it would only require a reskin. Unfortunately all links to it are broken.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

The github thing would be good, I've never worked with them though.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Yes, I would like to figure out github. If nothing else, to figure out how to report errors like this
Dec 28 16:01:18 dan1 kernel: [25221.193978] nemo[2794]: segfault at 13 ip 00000000004b7160 sp 00007fff76090f00 error 4 in nemo[400000+1a9000]
that happened just a few minutes ago when Nemo crashed on me.
It would be a small way to possibly contribute, but I couldn't figure github out.
Linux Linx 2018
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Can you upload that theme plz! It looks great BTW :D

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”