Issues with Openshot

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
-RYknow

Issues with Openshot

Post by -RYknow »

Hey guys. I'm having some issues with OpenShot. A quick rundown of the setup:

Machine: Sager 9390 Laptop, 16gb ram, GTX780m, 120gb mushkin Msata, 1TB storage drive.
Software: Using OpenShot 1.4.3

I'm having a strange issue. I've never played with openshot or done any kind of video editing before...but this christmas was pretty bad ass for me, as I got this new laptop, and a go pro hero 3 Black edition (turns out my wife really does love me!). So I have a series of photos I was just going to have a pic play every couple seconds with some back ground music. I was able to just import all the pics, select the song of choice. When i import the pics it asks me if I want to import them as a series, and selected yes. I used that file thinking it was just going to organize the pics and I would be able to just select the delay between pics. As soon as I try to play the video it crashed openshot. So i went through the same steps a second time, and before clicking play I made sure to save everything. It crashed again, and now when I try to reopen that project, it just keeps crashing openshot.

Just wondering if anyone has some input... Openshot seems like a nice program and I've read a lot of good things about it.
Thanks,
-RYknow
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Issues with Openshot

Post by jungle_boy »

Openshot works randomly; it works best with gkt2 (Mate) than with gtk3 (cinnamon), or perhaps is otherwise, (I don't remember well)

The last year I used Openshot and it worked fine (I don't remember if it was with Mate or cinnamon)

There isn't much to be done.

Try another editor, Pitivi, for example ...
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

Tried Openshot, but on Nadya. It does take up quite a bit of disk space, and seems quite complicated to use, apart from the fact that my videos seemed fo get unexpectedly large. As far as I remember it has seldom crashed. Memory issue maybe?
-RYknow

Post by -RYknow »

I played around with it a bit longer last night. If I don't use the series of photos it makes, and just add each photo individually, it seemed to work ok. Then again I only used about 12 photos out of the 70,000+ I have.

I did run a memtest for 48 hours when I got the new laptop and it passed without errors...so I think the memory in the laptop is physically fine. I'm going to keep playing around.

Any Openshot experts here that could chime in...I have another question. As I stated above, I have over 70,000 photos for a project. I'm doing a time lapse of a friend building his garage. Each photo when I import it to openshot by default comes in at 5 seconds long. I have to manually change each picture to 0.5 seconds. Is there a way to "select all" and change the length of all photos in one shot? Or is each photo going to have to manually be changed? If thats the case, for this project at least...openshot is not going to work.

Thanks,
-RYknow
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

-RYknow wrote:I did run a memtest for 48 hours when I got the new laptop and it passed without errors...so I think the memory in the laptop is physically fine. I'm going to keep playing around.
Meant maybe program was running out of memory.

Anyway came across this: Tutorial: OpenShot Video Editor
Last edited by Tejas_0 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Give Imagination a try. I believe it is available in the repo's.
http://imagination.sourceforge.net/
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

The truth is: there is nothing better than Windows Movie Maker. I use linux for 6 years and learned it.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

jungle_boy wrote:The truth is: there is nothing better than Windows Movie Maker.

Is this a joke?

Windows Movie Maker? :roll:

I'd rather use on-line tools than Windows Movie Maker. Even Microsoft lovers hate it.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Mint 16 is based on Ubuntu 13.10. If you head over at the OpenShot User's forum (yes, they have one) and do some perusing, you'll find that OpenShot 1.4.3 doesn't work well beyond 12.04 (ergo, Mint 13). You might want to downgrade to the LTS version of Mint if you want to use OpenShot 1.4.3.

The reason is because the developers are currently concentrating on developing OpenShot 2.0 which will use its own libraries (as opposed to MLT, AFAICT), and they are making OpenShot a cross-platform NLVE, serving Linux, MacOS and Windows users. This came about due to a successful cowdfunding campaign last year. The target date for 2.0's release is supposed to be early this year.
-RYknow wrote:As I stated above, I have over 70,000 photos for a project.
See here for some unsolicited advice. (For a video project that...)
-RYknow wrote:Each photo when I import it to openshot by default comes in at 5 seconds long. I have to manually change each picture to 0.5 seconds. Is there a way to "select all" and change the length of all photos in one shot?
You change the length setting *before* importing the pictures. You'll find this under Preferences.

Please allocated some time going through the OpenShot User's Manual (it's under the Help menu). You'll save yourself a lot of grief in the long run by familiarizing yourself with the application.
-RYknow wrote:Any Openshot experts here that could chime in...
As I mentioned earlier, OpenShot does have a dedicated forum. :wink:
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Well, to be honest, I've never used windows movie maker, just saw some works made with it that I found interesting and you can't do in linux; transition between pictures or videoclips in openshot doesn't work, for example.
LM 21 Cinnamon
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

jungle_boy wrote:...transition between pictures or videoclips in openshot doesn't work, for example.
Completely untrue. Have a look here. Note the date that blog post was written. And that's from an old version of OpenShot. Snapping transitions have already improve since then.

Please, do some research, or better yet, make actual case videos using OpenShot (or just have a look at some of the video showcase in their forum) before making baseless statements. Otherwise, you're just trolling this thread. :roll:
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Even Pitivi, the "leanest" NLE in Linux is better than Windows Movie Maker...
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Ok guys you win.
LM 21 Cinnamon

Return to “Software & Applications”