Installing open office

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jamchf

Installing open office

Post by jamchf »

I downloaded Apache Open Office, thanks to the updates in Linux Petra 16 KDE, I don't? have to use konsole to extract and unzip the files. I got as far as opening the "Open Office4.0-debian-menus 4.0-9714 all-deb" file in gDebi. I had a few glitches, but got by them and it said it was a success. Now What? I can find that root is the controller of these files, but I cannot find a file to let me finish installing the program or even a file reference to "run" at? What's next? Thank You. I am a 2 month old newbie at Linux and am very addicted to it I just need to get through these growing pains. J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Installing open office

Post by xenopeek »

Now what? I don't know, which step of the installation instructions are you now at and are you sure you've completed the earlier steps to the letter? The instructions are here: https://www.openoffice.org/download/com ... #linux-deb

I wouldn't muck about with the GUI as that leaves to much room for yourself to misinterpret what needs to be done. Just go to the folder where you extracted the downloaded archive, right-click the DEBS folder there and from the context menu select Actions > Open in Terminal Here. Then run the command for step 3. Next go to the desktop-integration folder and double-click the correct deb file there for your desktop to install it with GDebi. OpenOffice should now be in your menu.

Return to “Software & Applications”