Screensaver Matrix won't run.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eiger3970
Level 4
Level 4

Screensaver Matrix won't run.

Post by eiger3970 »

Hi,
I can't get my 'Matrix' screensaver to work.

Here are the steps I used to follow which made the screensaver 'Matrix' work.

Screensaver Matrix: Linux Mint > Menu > System > Package Manager > Password: p... > OK > Rebuilding search index: xscreensaver > (tick) xscreensaver, xscreensaver-data, xscreensaver-gl, xscreensaver-gl-extra > Apply > Apply > Close > Linux Mint > Menu > Applications > Preferences > Screensaver Properties > Mode: Only One Screen Saver: GLMatrix.

Now when I select Matrix and Preview to check, I see errors:
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
glmatrix: root window's visual 0x9c does not support the GLX extension.
xscreensaver: 16:37:00 0: child pid 21517 (<unknown>) exited abnormally (code 0).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Machine specs:
Disk space: 184.8 GB
Graphics: GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-76-generic x86_64
Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit.
MATE 1.26.0
Memory: 15.5 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10105F CPU @ 3.7GHz x 8
gold_finger

Re: Screensaver Matrix won't run.

Post by gold_finger »

Not sure what the problem is, but didn't see xscreensaver-data-extra listed as one of the packages you installed. Try adding that to your system and see if it solves the problem.

Also, assuming you are using Mate (as indicated in your signature), did you deactivate mate-screensaver and enable xscreensaver? If not, go to Menu -> Control Center -> Startup Applications -> Screensaver -> Edit and substitute xscreensaver in place of mate-screensaver in the "Command" box. Then close out, reboot and see if settings for xscreensaver now work with GLMatrix.

Return to “Software & Applications”