what do I need to do connect an internal HD to a laptop?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

what do I need to do connect an internal HD to a laptop?

Post by gatorade »

I have a friend that has an old computer that's no longer working, which has some photos on the hard drive.
I was just wondering what I would need to get in order to connect the drive to my laptop and gain access to the folders with the photos so I can remove them.

I'm thinking some sort of adapter that would basically turn the drive into an external drive, which I could then connect to via USB cable.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: what do I need to do connect an internal HD to a laptop?

Post by xenopeek »

Not really Linux Mint related, so moved here.

To answer your question, what you need depends on what connector he has on his hard disk. Is it a IDE (aka ATA aka PATA) or SATA hard disk?
As you can see the SATA (modern) hard disks have a power cable and a thin data cable, and flat connectors for the cables to connect to. The IDE (old) hard disk have a power cable and a broad data cable, and pins to connect the cables to.

Once you know which it is, you go search for either an "external usb sata enclosure" or an "external usb ide enclosure". Make sure it also matches the form factor of the hard disk (which as this is an old computer will probably just be 3.5", but check! See the table here for measurements: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_ ... rm_factors)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

gatorade wrote:I'm thinking some sort of adapter that would basically turn the drive into an external drive, which I could then connect to via USB cable.
Correct. For this purpose exactly I bought something a few years ago that according to what is printed on the package is a IDE/SATA Hard Drive USB Adapter Cable.
It can be used to connect old EIDE harddisks or current SATA II harddisks via USB 2.0 to any computer.
I got it from a local store who sell all kinds of IT related hardware.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Two in one, who would have thought of that. Removes the need for my entire post :wink:
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep beat me to it about Usb enclosures that will take IDE or Sata internals and make them into Usb external drives.
Enclosures run in the $20-30 range.

Return to “Open Chat”