[Solved, Kinda] Software Manager Refuses To Start

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: LinuxMint 16 - Software Manager Refuses To Start

Post by karlchen »

<side issue>
Hello, JosephBack.

By the way the commandline that launches Stickynotes reads

Code: Select all

/opt/extras.ubuntu.com/indicator-stickynotes/indicator-stickynotes.py 
not "indicator-stickynotes".
In order to find it in the Mint Menu, open the menu, click in the application finder edit box and type "indicator stickynotes". This should find the appropriate programme launcher (icon).
HTH.

Cheers,
Karl
</side issue>
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JosephBeck.

Hm, telling from this error message telling Software Manager (mintinstall) canot find the font which it is looking for
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 583, in __init__
sans26 = ImageFont.truetype ( self.FONT, 26 )
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py", line 218, in truetype
return FreeTypeFont(filename, size, index, encoding)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py", line 134, in __init__
self.font = core.getfont(file, size, index, encoding)
IOError: cannot open resource
I start wondering a bit whether adding your custom fonts may have done a bit more than just adding some fonts. Maybe it has either removed a font or two or replaced them with some fonts that Software Manager does not want to use?

Apart from this, which is just an idea based on the error message, whenever Software Manager refuses to launch, the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -r
is usually a good starting point. - May or may not apply in your special case.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JosephBeck.

Sorry to learn things seem have to developped in a very unpleasant way.
So far the situation seemed to be that
+ fonts had been installed, maybe some fonts removed
+ Software Manager seemed to fail because it could not find some (hardcoded?) font.
All this might have been tricky to analyze and tricky to fix.
But there was not reason to assume the whole desktop environment might become unusable.

Your last post suggests that some software components, some basic configuration details, whatever may have been damaged beyond repair, maybe, maybe not. Honestly, the story you tell definitely leaves more open questions than it answers.
  1. The problems booting from a LiveUSB may have all kind of reasons. But it is not really likely that they have been caused by the Mint 16 makers. If this were the case, then how have you ever managed to boot the Mint 16 live system before and setup the system which now may or may not be damaged beyond repair. Whatever may have ruined the Mint system on your harddisk, it cannot have ruined your LiveUSB system at the same time.
  2. An interesting detail is that the Windows XP setup cannot detect your harddisk. Is this really true? Does it not detect the harddisk? Or does it only not see any partition on the harddisk which it understands? Windows XP is unable to use an EXT4 formatted disk partition. But it would call it unknown. So it would see it, but call it unknown. Provided the Windows XP setup does not see any harddisk at all, then this might be a hint that your machine has been affected by some kind of hardware defect. Again such a defect cannot be blamed on the Mint 16 makers.
  3. The only damage that can turn your laptop into a worthless piece of junk is a serious hardware defect. No operating system, Windows XP or Mint, will have this effect, no matter how much the operating system may have been screwed up.
  4. The most irritating detail about this weird development from a minor nuisance to a major end of the world scenario is the details that have not been mentioned at all: no technical details about the affected machine have been spotted so far, although a simple "inxi -Fx" would have been a quick action and provided a concise overview on the hard- and software configuration.
OK, I guess this will be the end of this thread.
I do hope that you will manage to get your laptop back up and running and that it has not been affected by any kind of serious hardware defect, which is beyond repair, because repairing notebooks/laptop often is more expensive than buying a new machine.

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [Solved, Kinda] Software Manager Refuses To Start

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JosephBeck.

Just to fill a knowledge gap on my side: The Font Manager that you used is the same font-manager which is available from the official software repositories, via Synaptic or via Software Manager, right?
So you solved the reported problem by fixing the list of installed fonts with the help of this font-manager only?

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Karl
Lifeline
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Solved, Kinda] Software Manager Refuses To Start

Post by barrieluv »

Just as an aside, but not off-topic:
I recently installed Mint 16 MATE on a friend's laptop.
She installed some fonts, insisting that she wanted the fonts to be the same as she had used previously on her Windows system. I left her to it.
Two days later, I get a call for help.
Synaptic, Software Manager, Update Manager, Mint Menu, Logout and Quit had all started playing up. None of them worked.
I did all the usual checks and tried several different things but no joy.
Found this thread, set the Application, Document and Desktop fonts to Ubuntu Regular and everything started playing nicely again.

So, thank you to everyone who chipped in here. It was driving me nuts! :D
EeePC 701 Ubuntu 10.04 || HP Pavilion DV6 Linux Mint 17 Mate Edition

Return to “Software & Applications”