Mint 16 Cinnamon Not Recognizing Dual Processor Motherboard

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
harfad

Mint 16 Cinnamon Not Recognizing Dual Processor Motherboard

Post by harfad »

Hi, I have installed the latest Linux Mint 16 Cinammon on an HP XW6000 Workstation which has a dual processor motherboard. But it does not recognize both processors. When I run Windows on it, it recognizes both processors; but when I install linux Mint 16 Cinnammon on it, it runs like a single processor motherboard. That is a serious drawback. Ii is utilizing only half the power of the PC. Any solutions for that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 16 Cinnamon Not Recognizing Dual Processor Motherbo

Post by xenopeek »

Did you install 64 bit version of Linux Mint 16, or 32 bit? You'll need the 64 bit one I think. If you have 32 bit Xeons, you will need a different kernel.

Can you run this command and share the output? It will show the CPU information. Specifically you will want to look at the "physical id " tag to check if all values are indeed o (zero) or also value 1 (one) is present to indicate second physical CPU is detected.

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo | egrep 'processor|model name|cache size|core|sibling|physical|^$'
See the terminal's Edit menu for copying text.

A good reference for interpreting the output on various CPUs: http://www.richweb.com/cpu_info
harfad

Post by harfad »

xenopeek wrote:Did you install 64 bit version of Linux Mint 16, or 32 bit? You'll need the 64 bit one I think. If you have 32 bit Xeons, you will need a different kernel.
Thank you. Sorry for the delay in replying. The system I believe is 32 bit, and I have installed a 32 bit OS.
Can you run this command and share the output? It will show the CPU information. Specifically you will want to look at the "physical id " tag to check if all values are indeed o (zero) or also value 1 (one) is present to indicate second physical CPU is detected.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | egrep 'processor|model name|cache size|core|sibling|physical|^$'
See the terminal's Edit menu for copying text.

A good reference for interpreting the output on various CPUs: http://www.richweb.com/cpu_info
I did that, and it came up with the following results:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | egrep 'processor|model name|cache size|core|sibling|physical|^$'
processor: 0
model name: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
cache size: 1024 KB
physical id: 0
siblings: 1
core id: 0
cpu cores: 1
address sizes: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual

processor: 1
model name: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
cache size: 1024 KB
physical id: 3
siblings: 1
core id: 0
cpu cores: 1
address sizes: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
This seems to identify both processors. However, when I go to System Settings > Hardware > System Info, It identifies only one processor. This is what it says about the processor:

Processsor: Intel Xeon CPU 3.20GHz x 1
Which suggests that it sees only one processor. It also runs slow compared to Windows 7. So I don't know what the answer to all of that is!
Last edited by harfad on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Please give the result of:

uname -a
harfad

Post by harfad »

eanfrid wrote:Please give the result of:

uname -a
The result of that is:

$ uname -a
Linux Mint 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:12:00 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Ok you really need to use a 32bit OS, thus a 32bit Linux kernel on this old configuration. Unfortunately, looking at the stock kernel config file, the modern generic desktop Ubuntu kernels are not optimized for this kind of dual-monocore cpus setup.

Maybe you will have to add some boot options in order to force the kernel to use both cpus (if you don't want to compile your own optimized kernel). The first option I am thinking of is "noapic". The second one is "nolapic". Edit: the latter is probably to try first.

=> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
harfad

Post by harfad »

eanfrid wrote:Ok you really need to use a 32bit OS, thus a 32bit Linux kernel on this old configuration. Unfortunately, looking at the stock kernel config file, the modern generic desktop Ubuntu kernels are not optimized for this kind of dual-monocore cpus setup.

Maybe you will have to add some boot options in order to force the kernel to use both cpus (if you don't want to compile your own optimized kernel). The first option I am thinking of is "noapic". The second one is "nolapic". Edit: the latter is probably to try first.

Thank you. How would you recompile the kernel to optimize it for this system?
harfad

Post by harfad »

eanfrid wrote:Ok you really need to use a 32bit OS, thus a 32bit Linux kernel on this old configuration. Unfortunately, looking at the stock kernel config file, the modern generic desktop Ubuntu kernels are not optimized for this kind of dual-monocore cpus setup.

I tried both options, "noapic" as well as "nolapic", using a program called Boot Repair, but it seems to have made no difference. In either case when I go to System Settings > Hardware > System Info, it still says the same thing about the processor:

Processsor: Intel Xeon CPU 3.20GHz x 1

Return to “Software & Applications”