No picture thumbnail in Nemo on Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

No picture thumbnail in Nemo on Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Post by Brahim Salem »

There's no image thumbnail on Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon. I went to edit-preferences- preview and set the preview to over4 Gb files but nothing happened!Now I can get video thumbnails but not image ones heeeeeeeeeeelp!!This is very annoying :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GFC

Re: No picture thumbnail in Nemo on Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Post by GFC »

I have no videos, but image thumbnails are working in Nemo file manager in Mint 16 64-bit. Can be set in Nemo menu > View > Icons, or set the same in Edit > Preferences.
trachys

Post by trachys »

In Nemo:

Edit > Preferences > Preview > Show thumbnails
JoeInMN

Post by JoeInMN »

(Asus EEE netbook, Mint 13, Backports repo for Cinnamon 2)

Thumbnails should display in Compact and List views as well.

I have the same or a similar problem, and it doesn't appear to be a settings or permissions issue, at least in my case. I have both Nemo and Nautilus. Both are set to display thumbnails, and the ~/.thumbnails folder has read/write/execute permissions for my user. I open a folder full of .JPGs in Nemo, and there are no thumbnails in any view setting; I see only generic image icons. I open the same folder in Nautilus, and the proper thumbnails are shown there. Now if I reopen the same folder or refresh the view in Nemo, it does show the thumbnails. So Nautilus is creating thumbnails as it should, and while Nemo is displaying the thumbnails generated by Nautilus, it is not creating them itself, or is confused about where it is creating them, as I suspect because:

In addition to ~/.thumbnails, there is also another folder, ~/.cache/thumbnails, in which Nemo does appear to be generating thumbnails. If I delete both of these thumbnail folders and then open the image folder with Nemo, the ~/.thumbnails folder does not reappear. The ~/.cache/thumbnails folder reappears, and has the expected thumbnails in it, but the thumbnails do not show in Nemo until I view the same folder with Nautilus (at which point the ~/.thumbnails folder is recreated) and refresh the view in Nemo. So, is Nemo generating its thumbnails in ~/.cache/thumbnails, but looking for them in ~/.thumbnails instead?
TxLnx

Post by TxLnx »

JoeInMN wrote:(Asus EEE netbook, Mint 13, Backports repo for Cinnamon 2)

Thumbnails should display in Compact and List views as well.

I have the same or a similar problem, and it doesn't appear to be a settings or permissions issue, at least in my case. I have both Nemo and Nautilus. Both are set to display thumbnails, and the ~/.thumbnails folder has read/write/execute permissions for my user. I open a folder full of .JPGs in Nemo, and there are no thumbnails in any view setting; I see only generic image icons. I open the same folder in Nautilus, and the proper thumbnails are shown there. Now if I reopen the same folder or refresh the view in Nemo, it does show the thumbnails. So Nautilus is creating thumbnails as it should, and while Nemo is displaying the thumbnails generated by Nautilus, it is not creating them itself, or is confused about where it is creating them, as I suspect because:

In addition to ~/.thumbnails, there is also another folder, ~/.cache/thumbnails, in which Nemo does appear to be generating thumbnails. If I delete both of these thumbnail folders and then open the image folder with Nemo, the ~/.thumbnails folder does not reappear. The ~/.cache/thumbnails folder reappears, and has the expected thumbnails in it, but the thumbnails do not show in Nemo until I view the same folder with Nautilus (at which point the ~/.thumbnails folder is recreated) and refresh the view in Nemo. So, is Nemo generating its thumbnails in ~/.cache/thumbnails, but looking for them in ~/.thumbnails instead?
I'm having exactly the same experience with my LM 13 install. Looks like a bug in Nemo.
praveenp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by praveenp »

Deleting .thumbnails from home directory and creating link named ~/.thumbnails to ~/.cache/thumbnails solved my problem. Right click the ~/.cache/thumbnails directory, use 'Make Link', rename newly created link to .thumbnails, copy it to home directory. Thanks for the clues.
praveen||പ്രവീൺ
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

praveenp wrote:Deleting .thumbnails from home directory and creating link named ~/.thumbnails to ~/.cache/thumbnails solved my problem. Right click the ~/.cache/thumbnails directory, use 'Make Link', rename newly created link to .thumbnails, copy it to home directory. Thanks for the clues.
thanks man that did the trick :D
TxLnx

Post by TxLnx »

praveenp wrote:Deleting .thumbnails from home directory and creating link named ~/.thumbnails to ~/.cache/thumbnails solved my problem. Right click the ~/.cache/thumbnails directory, use 'Make Link', rename newly created link to .thumbnails, copy it to home directory. Thanks for the clues.
Thanks. This fixed the problem for me on LM13.
JoeInMN

Post by JoeInMN »

That works; thanks. Two things of possible interest if you do this:

If you use any sort of privacy cleanup that clears thumbnail images by simply deleting the entire .thumbnails folder (for example the Gwenview image viewer has a preference setting to do this automatically), it will delete your symlink, and you will have to recreate it afterwards.

Interesting: If your ~/.cache/thumbnails folder is empty, first open a folder with some images in it to generate some thumbnails. Now go and look in the ~/.cache/thumbnails/normal folder, and watch as more thumbnails are generated in an infinite loop. This should happen with any file manager, not only Nemo. What's happening, I think, is that the system is generating thumbnails for the thumbnail images that you are looking at, and putting them where they are supposed to go, namely the ~/.thumbnails folder. But since this is actually a symlink pointing back to the folder you are looking at, the new thumbnails show up there, and the system dutifully generates more thumbnails for those thumbnails, and the process repeats ad infinitum.
XA Hydra

Post by XA Hydra »

JoeInMN wrote: But since this is actually a symlink pointing back to the folder you are looking at, the new thumbnails show up there, and the system dutifully generates more thumbnails for those thumbnails, and the process repeats ad infinitum.
I'm gonna get smacked for this, but...
xibit.png
atman

Post by atman »

Hi!

Deleting ~/.thumnails fonder and creating link to ~/.cache/thumbnails, did NOT work for me.

In my case the problem was that user root was the owner of the sub-folders of ~/.thumbnails ("fail" and "normal"). Same thing for ~/.cache/thumbnails.

Changing the owner of those folders with chown command, solved the problem. But this thread has helped me to find the solution.

dominikh

Post by dominikh »

Linking ~/.cache/thumbnails to ~/.thumbnails solved the issue for me on Linux Mint 13 Maya and Nemo 2.0.8 .
ROY428
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ROY428 »

Thank you! Thank you!~ Thank you! ... been pulling my hair out on this one. Worked perfectly! :D

Return to “Software & Applications”