Skype 4.2 and Mint 16 64-bit Woes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GenaTrius

Skype 4.2 and Mint 16 64-bit Woes

Post by GenaTrius »

So I've got myself a fresh, 64-bit install of Linux Mint 16 with MATE here. I install Skype on it, but I find that Skype inexplicably uses ALSA instead of Pulseaudio, and blocks out the sound of everything using PulseAudio. I search a little bit, and I find that because skype is 32-bit, it needs 32-bit pulseaudio.
But instead of following the instructions there, I install ia32-libs, which I usually do anyway because I run other 32-bit applications sometimes.
Now, Skype appears to use PulseAudio, but it usually gives me no sound. When it does give me sound, it's not the sound of my friends voices making pleasant conversation, but a horrible random buzzing like eldritch bees screaming the dark sins of a malevolent universe. Hyperbole aside, it's a problem.
I've tried the whole "changing the launchr command to env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype" thing, and to 30, and adding the %U bit to the end (whatever that does) to no avail. Please help; Skype on my Mint 15 64-bit install is also kind of broken (it works for a little while, then randomly causes pulse to sort of seize up, causing everything trying to play audio to go non-responsive; I might make a separate thread for that) and there are things I want to do on Linux whilst talking on Skype.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tejas_0

Re: Skype 4.2 and Mint 16 64-bit Woes

Post by Tejas_0 »

Normally run skype with one less degree of complexity, so have you tried just:
    Run (Alt+F2): env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 skype ?
    GenaTrius

Re: Skype 4.2 and Mint 16 64-bit Woes

Post by GenaTrius »

Tejas_0 wrote:Normally run skype with one less degree of complexity, so have you tried just:
      Run (Alt+F2): env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 skype ?
      As I stated in my initial post, I did try env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 skype, as well as env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype.

Return to “Software & Applications”