Upgrade LGA775 mobos with much cheaper LGA771 Xeons

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
bobafetthotmail

Upgrade LGA775 mobos with much cheaper LGA771 Xeons

Post by bobafetthotmail »

I was shopping around on Ebay for cheap crappy Pentium 4s to test out a bunch of old mobos (guinea pig job... risky)

The seller with the right stuff for me also had a socket 775 mobo bundled with a socket 771 Xeon, guaranteed to be working and with their usual money-back guarantees. That's a reputable seller I know already, not a random idiot trying to sell crap, so I got hyped up a bit and started investigating.

What I find is LGA 771 to 775 Adapter - Run Cheap Xeon CPUs in an LGA 775 Motherboard That is a tutorial to mod old socket 771 xeons to work in normal socket 775 mobos that support only the commercial version (non-xeon) of that processor AND have the right chipset. He sells a small strip to remap a couple pins easily http://www.ebay.it/usr/speedss5

The logic behind this is that Xeons for socket 771 are rather cheap nowadays, while the socket 775 processors beyond the midrange are horribly overpriced.
Case in point: Xeon E5450 is basically the same as Intel Core 2 quad Q9650. I can find the former for 60 euros, while the latter sells for a whopping 150+ euros or even more if new.
Also xeons overclock more easily (with a board that can do it).

High end socket 775 processors are pretty beefy in benchmarks, around 2/3rds of what a modern i5 scores, so it's a great way to keep alive older rigs in an affordable way.

There is also a thread in Overclock.net [MOD] LGA775 Support For LGA771 Xeon CPUs

and in xtremesystems.org Overclocking Thread about LGA 771 CPU on LGA 775 Mobo

Spreading the info to all cheapo guys and modding enthusiasts. :geek:

I'm probably going to try out myself as some of the boards I need to test should be theoretically capable of this, if they aren't dead anyway.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Open Chat”